The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think it's really sensible of Klopp to take a no excuse approach to the Liverpool role, to be honest.

For too long under Rodgers, and Dalglish before him, we were too often reliant and caught up in storms which surround Mourinho. We scape-goated officials, things like tiredness, and scheduling etc.

He knows he hasn't got the squad size to rotate, but the nuance of saying that we have no excuses will reverberate around the club. It puts the onus on all of us, and the fans (given his comments surrounding them leaving early) to give this season and every single match our all.

Of course, away from the cameras and the public eye, I think we all know that tiredness would be an issue post-travelling to Kazan (5,000 miles). I think it's shrewd of Klopp, though. We must always play until the final whistle, and no game is lost before we go out onto the pitch.
Looks like we'll be relying on Liability Lovren for at least a couple of months with reports that Sakho might be out till the new year.

Ugh I hate international breaks..
It's annoying because Lovren and Sakho deserve a run together. Obviously, I'm unconvinced by the Croatian, but I think his fallibilities are just exacerbated by Skrtel's presence and propensity to back off and off.

Still, we haven't seen any howlers from Lovren since West Ham, so let's hope he continues this calm and collected approach under Klopp and can really prove himself to be the defender we bought.

In truth, I don't actually think Lovren is our biggest problem anymore. Last season I was massively critical of him, but I'm more concerned about Mignolet these days.

If you're a shot stopper, and everybody says you're there on your ability to stop shots, then you need to stop shots. He needs to be saving more. He can't kick or distribute, or kick-start attacks like Reina used to, so he (at the very least) needs to be tough to beat from shots between the goalposts.
Original post by Mackay
It's annoying because Lovren and Sakho deserve a run together. Obviously, I'm unconvinced by the Croatian, but I think his fallibilities are just exacerbated by Skrtel's presence and propensity to back off and off.

Still, we haven't seen any howlers from Lovren since West Ham, so let's hope he continues this calm and collected approach under Klopp and can really prove himself to be the defender we bought.

In truth, I don't actually think Lovren is our biggest problem anymore. Last season I was massively critical of him, but I'm more concerned about Mignolet these days.

If you're a shot stopper, and everybody says you're there on your ability to stop shots, then you need to stop shots. He needs to be saving more. He can't kick or distribute, or kick-start attacks like Reina used to, so he (at the very least) needs to be tough to beat from shots between the goalposts.

How many times have we actually seen Liability Lovren and Sakho together though? He's obviously making a massive effort not to do anything stupid but in turn it means other parts of his game such as passing or keeping the ball aren't as natural as they should be. I guess I'd settle for that for now though.

Yea Mignolet just isn't doing anything to warrant being our GK long term or worth the £9mil we spent. Germany have a massive depth of quality in their GKs at the moment I think? Hopefully Klopp snaps one up..

Even more encouraging for Löw, and even his successor, is that the majority of them are relatively young prime examples including Bernd Leno at Leverkusen, Timo Horn at FC Köln, and Loris Karius at Mainz 05. Alongside these youngsters and the incumbent reserve goalkeepers, Weidenfeller and Zieler are talented keepers such as Oliver Baumann at Hoffenheim, Thomas Kraft at Hertha Berlin, Sven Ulreich at Bayern Munich (recently of VfB Stuttgart) and Kevin Trapp, who has just signed for PSG.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/englische-woche/2015/jul/31/goalkeeper-germany-bundesliga-manuel-neuer-ter-stegen
Original post by Zerforax
How many times have we actually seen Liability Lovren and Sakho together though?

Not many - that's why we need to see it and give them a run together. I wasn't particularly adverse to us letting Skrtel go in the summer.
Lovren isn't quick or agile enough 1 on 1. In our system he's always going to end up in individual battles in wider areas, and he'll always get taken to the cleaners. He is a solid PL defender in the right system, it's just never going to happen at Liverpool.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Lovren isn't quick or agile enough 1 on 1. In our system he's always going to end up in individual battles in wider areas, and he'll always get taken to the cleaners. He is a solid PL defender in the right system, it's just never going to happen at Liverpool.

Feel the same about Lallana, in all honesty.

He does a lot of things very well, and put him in a side like Swansea, Southampton or even Everton, and he'd be a luxury player who'd probably make the PFA Player of the Year shortlist.

He's a few pounds too light, a few yards too slow, and altogether too wasteful to ever be a permanent fixture in our team though.
Original post by Mackay
Feel the same about Lallana, in all honesty.

He does a lot of things very well, and put him in a side like Swansea, Southampton or even Everton, and he'd be a luxury player who'd probably make the PFA Player of the Year shortlist.

He's a few pounds too light, a few yards too slow, and altogether too wasteful to ever be a permanent fixture in our team though.

Wasteful is the word, he's not a good enough finisher. Promising signs for him under Klopp though, he's already playing twice as good as he was under BR.
We should keep Lallana to be our Coutinho-lite when Coutinho gets injured or for rotation.

He's the least of our problems for now. So many other gaps in the squad (like back-up LB and RB, and a LW).

Any confirmation about Sakho's injury time out? Echo says they expect 2 months but I wasn't sure if that was an educated guess or confirmed.

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2015/11/liverpool-why-are-the-reds-top-of-the-league-for-dozy-defending/

Funny article about how bad our players have been in terms of individual defensive errors..

Emre Can the serial offender so far this season.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zerforax
W
http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2015/11/liverpool-why-are-the-reds-top-of-the-league-for-dozy-defending/

Funny article about how bad our players have been in terms of individual defensive errors..

Emre Can the serial offender so far this season.

Damning statistics, in all honesty. That's nowhere near good enough. For all we laugh about LVG's negativity, his United side are performing extremely well in terms of defensive ability, compactness and overall solidity.
Wow. As if we weren't missing him enough.

Sakho is the most accurate passer of every defender in the league, having clocked up a 91 per cent rate with ambitious passing.

He has made 56 passes into the final third, with a 83 per cent accuracy. Skrtel has played 48 passes into the attacking third with an accuracy less than 60 per cent. Lovren has only attempted 24.
Original post by Mackay
Wow. As if we weren't missing him enough.

Sakho is the most accurate passer of every defender in the league, having clocked up a 91 per cent rate with ambitious passing.

He has made 56 passes into the final third, with a 83 per cent accuracy. Skrtel has played 48 passes into the attacking third with an accuracy less than 60 per cent. Lovren has only attempted 24.

That's an amazing statistic.

That's just it. He doesn't do sidewards safe passing like many other defenders.
He actually makes medium-long attempts that will take several opposing players completely out of the game. The fact that said passing is that accurate just shows how important Sakho is at the back, not only for defending but also for starting an attack.
It's absolutely imperative we keep shifting the ball quickly from the back. I'm unsure either of our two fit centre-backs are able to, but Lucas can and I reckon Allen - when he's on it - can, too.

We've seen in past Liverpool sides the effects of playing from the back quickly, and without a good distributer between the goalposts in the form of a Reina due to Mignolet's inability in that area, the onus falls upon the centre backs.
Little bit on Pato. Could he turn it around for himaelf and fit in the Klopp system at Liverpool? Or too much of a gamble?

http://tbrfootball.com/brazilian-star-answer-liverpools-problems/
Reply 1674
finally people are seeing past the myth that Sakho is bad on the ball :smile:
The Sakho absence just exacerbates the issues we have surrounding defensive errors and lapses, too.

Both Palace's winner and Southampton's equaliser seemed like Groundhog Day for me. I could see both goals coming an absolute mile off, in truth. We don't deal well with the set piece, and we have a tendency of conceding shortly after scoring which won't be helped by a lack of leadership in the defence.

Neither Skrtel or Lovren seem willing to put their authority and stamp down on the back four, akin to Carragher or Hyypia or even Agger, and Mignolet sure as hell won't be able to conduct the back four and boast some respect from them due to his error prone ways.
Original post by Sonovaduck
Little bit on Pato. Could he turn it around for himaelf and fit in the Klopp system at Liverpool? Or too much of a gamble?

http://tbrfootball.com/brazilian-star-answer-liverpools-problems/

Too much of a gamble for a squad which already has a few injury prone players. Not worth the risk for Liverpool. It's not even a cheap price at £14mil.

If he was free and on cheap wages, I'd almost be tempted but no thanks.
This Pato rumour has come completely from left field. I have a feeling there are plenty more to come from Klopp, and that's why it's so exciting that he's now at the helm.

That said, I'm unsure what to make of it. There are so many variables, but I'm inclined to agree with Zerf because we've got a squad full of injuries right now - and you have a feeling that many of them will be recurrent.

Still, it would be great if Pato plays all the games when Sturridge is injured, and Sturridge plays all the games when Pato is injured.
Original post by Mackay
This Pato rumour has come completely from left field. I have a feeling there are plenty more to come from Klopp, and that's why it's so exciting that he's now at the helm.

That said, I'm unsure what to make of it. There are so many variables, but I'm inclined to agree with Zerf because we've got a squad full of injuries right now - and you have a feeling that many of them will be recurrent.

Still, it would be great if Pato plays all the games when Sturridge is injured, and Sturridge plays all the games when Pato is injured.

It's coming from Corinthians chief Robero de Andrade which is maybe why it might have legs? I just don't see it myself.
[video="youtube;uBKIxg5rIFg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBKIxg5rIFg[/video]

Latest