The Student Room Group

Engaged at 16??

Hi everyone
Just wondering what your thoughts are on a 16 (and a half) year old girl being engaged to her 19 year old boyfriend? They have been together for three years with only one break in the middle for a few weeks, they really do love each other. She is at college and he is in first year of uni. Obviously the uni is not the closest so they only see each other every few weekends now when it used to be more or less every day. They know if they do get married to each other it won't be now, they want to wait another ten years, and if they are still serious, then it can be a done deal. The engagement is like a way of saying they are together and strong.

But anyway what do you think??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

i think that it is fine as long as they don't get married now as it is a huge commitment. An engagement doesn't tie you down so if they want to break up then they can rather than go through loads of stress in important years of their lives
Reply 2
I think they may fall out of love in ten years because they barely see each other. nut I think its good that theyre waiting because theyre young.
Reply 3
Good that they're waiting. I think 10 years might be too long, but whatever.
Reply 4
Thats ridiculous
Honestly, I think a sixteen year old is too immature to get engaged. not that you're going to change your mind based on what a few people on an Internet forum say
Err everyone it's not ME who this is about, it says 'they' , not 'us'!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Truthfully, I probably wouldn't think of it as a serious engagement, despite them being together for a few years beforehand. To me, you're still a child at 16 even though yeah you can get married and have sex and all that jazz but personally, I wouldn't take anything like that seriously until they were at least 18+. At 16, I would see it more as something like a promise ring or something like that.
I honestly don't see the point. Since you cant even get married until your 18 anyway (unless your parents stupidly agree it to it), why feel they need to 'show' people you're strong, just staying together and being happy shows that surely.
Also, if you've been together three years that means you were 13 and 16 when you first got together, gross.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by javvyjingle

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it's not you then who is it? There's a high level of personal detail, suggesting it is you or someone you know. If it isn't you, why did you bother making the thread?
Original post by javvyjingle

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only one person said "you", everyone else said "they" wont make it
This relationship started when she was 13 and he was 16 :/
Much respect for the lad who managed to **** a 16 year old and hide it from the police.
Hymen.
It's entirely up to them but personally 16 is way too young to be getting engaged and thinking of marriage.
Original post by ILovePancakes

:biggrin:
My parents had known each other for all of their lives, started dating at 15, knew at 16 they were going to get engaged one day, got engaged at 18, and married at 21. Last July, they just celebrated their 30th wedding anniversary. :ahee:

So, although I find it slightly bizarre that he is at a far away uni and she is still at college, I don't see a problem with it if they truly love each other :smile:
Original post by ILovePancakes

Lol yeah *facepalm*

OP go and do your homework instead of daydreaming on TSR.
I agree with you all! And it's not about me, it's about my best friend who has just got engaged!
Tbh I think he was 15 and she was 13 because the birthdays overlap, but would it be that weird if he was 16??? Given that the relationship didn't get that serious until like a year ago... I do think it's concerning but I don't think it's that bad, I hear stories much worse lol
Original post by driftawaay
Lol yeah *facepalm*

OP go and do your homework instead of daydreaming on TSR.

What??? You don't even know me, and it's about my best friend anyway so...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Waiting ten years? lelwot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending