The Student Room Group

Using Hair Thickening Products? Have you used them before?

Hey guys,

I just keep stumbling upon various hair thickening products and was curious how they will help and how well they work if someone is suffering from hair thinning or hair loss in some way. I know for women it is easier to regrow hair as my sister had very thin hair and she did a bunch of stuff to thicken it and now it is like completely different.

What do you guys think? have you ever used one? and what did you think of it?
there are 2 kinds of hair thickening products out there, one that artificially thicken the hair shaft, and make it look thicker, and one that work from the scalp, to help increase circulation, and break down calcification, stop inflammation, to help hair growth.
Are you asking us to do reviews on hair thickening products or just asking what we think works?
Reply 3
Original post by Dantheman11
there are 2 kinds of hair thickening products out there, one that artificially thicken the hair shaft, and make it look thicker, and one that work from the scalp, to help increase circulation, and break down calcification, stop inflammation, to help hair growth.

How can they artificially thicken then hair shaft? what do you mean? and is scalp one for actual hair growth? Sorry i can't tell which one is more natural.

Original post by tammystuart
Are you asking us to do reviews on hair thickening products or just asking what we think works?

Well...both kinda.. have you used any and what do you think of it?

What do you mean by breaking down calcification? Is this for all hair types or a specific condition?
Reply 5
Original post by brightonboy97
What do you mean by breaking down calcification? Is this for all hair types or a specific condition?

Calcification happens slowly to all hair follicles. Its because of the natural build up in the scalp over time - the speed of which it builds up depends on your diet and many other factors like the shampoo you use.
Original post by advo
How can they artificially thicken then hair shaft? what do you mean? and is scalp one for actual hair growth? Sorry i can't tell which one is more natural.

Well...both kinda.. have you used any and what do you think of it?

Artificially increasing hair shaft is pretty much done by most normal shampoos out there. It's like wetting a shirt, and it looks slightly fatter. Companies use different ingredients to create that short term effect. This is not the best way to increase hair growth as this can cause inflammation if the company is using an ingredient that does this, and does not help actual growth. See Hair Thickening Products site for more info.

The more natural approach is of course making yourself healthy. and making sure you are doing the right things to support the body fully before you work on the hair growth aspect. as the body stops focusing on less important processes when the body is weakening or there is a health condition. that said, hair loss has its own mind sometimes, and is not fully understood by science yet (at least enough to create a 100% cure). most people would tell you to do scalp massage, and use a good shampoo which is not damaging to the hair.
(edited 8 years ago)
Artificially increasing hair shaft is pretty much done by most normal shampoos out there. It's like wetting a shirt, and it looks slightly fatter. Companies use different ingredients to create that short term effect. This is not the best way to increase hair growth as this can cause inflammation if the company is using an ingredient that does this, and does not help actual growth. See Hair Thickening Products site for more info.

The more natural approach is of course making yourself healthy. and making sure you are doing the right things to support the body fully before you work on the hair growth aspect. as the body stops focusing on less important processes when the body is weakening or there is a health condition. that said, hair loss has its own mind sometimes, and is not fully understood by science yet (at least enough to create a 100% cure). most people would tell you to do scalp massage, and use a good shampoo which is not damaging to the hair.

makes sense. I remember when i used a product which was only doing the artificial method of hair thickening, and it just never worked and my dermatologist told me to stop using it as it was causing my hair to thin up.
Batiste dry shampoo makes the hair look thicker and gives volume - just buy the plain one in the green bottle unless you want your hair to smell of pineaples (they do a tropical version and a flowery one as well )
That shampoo will just artificially make hair thicker, it doesn't actually add real new growth for people with thinning hair. thats the point i was making.
Reply 10
this is enlightening stuff. i didnt know there were those kinds of shampoos. I guess no wonder how some companies get away with saying its thickening, but in reality it is just enlarging the hair shaft to make it look thick. i need an actual solution so this wont do
I use Jamaican castor oil (RRP £4.99) naturally to retain moisture in my hair and it's coincidentally known to thicken and strengthen your hair, grow back hair that might've fallen out due to constantly tugging e.g. putting your hair into tight ponytails/buns, while keeping your hair looking all nice and healthy.

Sorry I couldn't suggest a shampoo, I haven't a clue what shampoo can keep the moisture in your hair in order to grow it because the whole idea is the strip your hair of impurities right? :dontknow:
Reply 12

just saw your post, didn't realize you shared that. thank you
Original post by advo
just saw your post, didn't realize you shared that. thank you

no problem, glad you found it helpful at least.

Quick Reply

Latest