The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Computer Science Entry

Hi all,

I have applied for undergraduate study at York for Computer Science, and received an interview in an EXTREMELY quick time. This made me wonder what criteria applicant have to hit to be invited to an interview? Is it the case that all applicant get an interview? Or does an applicant's predicted grades need to be in a certain boundary to qualify for an interview? Or do the university pick interviewees on a one to one basis based on personal statements and references? Or is it just a mix of all of these?

I was also wondering how often computer science goes into clearing at York, and what happens to the entry requirements if they do?

Many thanks for any answers! :smile:
Original post by Cascadess
Hi all,

I have applied for undergraduate study at York for Computer Science, and received an interview in an EXTREMELY quick time. This made me wonder what criteria applicant have to hit to be invited to an interview? Is it the case that all applicant get an interview? Or does an applicant's predicted grades need to be in a certain boundary to qualify for an interview? Or do the university pick interviewees on a one to one basis based on personal statements and references? Or is it just a mix of all of these?

I was also wondering how often computer science goes into clearing at York, and what happens to the entry requirements if they do?

Many thanks for any answers! :smile:

Hi there,

Thanks for applying to study Computer Science at York.

If we receive your application form and are impressed by your grades, personal statement and references, we will invite you to attend an interview.

Alongside your UCAS application form, your performance at interview is one of the factors we consider when making a decision on your application, and will have an impact on the level of offer that we may give you.

The interview will be a one-to-one session with a member of our academic staff and is our way of seeing how suitable you are for the study of Computer Science. Our interviews are informal, friendly and give you the opportunity to chat about your interest in computer science with an academic who works at the forefront of the subject.

With regards to your second question, places sometimes become available on our Computer Science courses via clearing for well-qualified applicants. Our standard offer for our BEng courses is in the range of AAB-ABB, and for MEng in the range of AAA-AAB. Again, grades, personal statement and references will all have an impact on any offer made via clearing.

I hope that helps and if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks,

Catherine Smith
Undergraduate Admissions Administrator
Department of Computer Science
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by University of York
Hi there,

Thanks for applying to study Computer Science at York.

If we receive your application form and are impressed by your grades, personal statement and references, we will invite you to attend an interview.

Alongside your UCAS application form, your performance at interview is one of the factors we consider when making a decision on your application, and will have an impact on the level of offer that we may give you.

The interview will be a one-to-one session with a member of our academic staff and is our way of seeing how suitable you are for the study of Computer Science. Our interviews are informal, friendly and give you the opportunity to chat about your interest in computer science with an academic who works at the forefront of the subject.

With regards to your second question, places sometimes become available on our Computer Science courses via clearing for well-qualified applicants. Our standard offer for our BEng courses is in the range of AAB-ABB, and for MEng in the range of AAA-AAB. Again, grades, personal statement and references will all have an impact on any offer made via clearing.

I hope that helps and if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks,

Catherine Smith

Thank you very much Catherine! This has been a lot of help :smile:
Reply 3
Hi I've also got an interview for computer science at York. I was wondering what happens at the interview. Are we expected to answer some maths questions or is it more on what interests you about the course. Any information would be helpful my interview is Saturday.
Original post by CSLady
Hi I've also got an interview for computer science at York. I was wondering what happens at the interview. Are we expected to answer some maths questions or is it more on what interests you about the course. Any information would be helpful my interview is Saturday.

Hi,

Our interviews are informal, friendly and give you the opportunity to chat about your interest in computer science with an academic who works at the forefront of the subject. This is also your chance to ask any questions about the course.​

Your interview will be a one-to-one session with a member of our academic staff and is our way of seeing how suitable you are for the study of Computer Science. Your interview will cover:

Your motivation for studying computer science

Your understanding of what the subject of computer science is

Any prior experience that is relevant to computer science (e.g. programming, electronics projects, certain areas of maths)

Your technical ability,Broader experience relevant to succeeding at university.

​Your technical ability will​ also​ be assessed by working through a problem with your interviewer. The problems vary but could, for example, be similar to an A-level maths question, it could be something related to a project you have undertaken or it could be an algorithmic problem. We’re less interested in whether or not you get the problem right than we are in how you approach the problem. If the problem seems difficult, then think aloud and ask lots of questions.

​If you need any further information about our Interview Days, you can take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions.

Thanks,

Catherine Smith
Department of Computer Science​
Reply 5
Original post by University of York
Hi,

Our interviews are informal, friendly and give you the opportunity to chat about your interest in computer science with an academic who works at the forefront of the subject. This is also your chance to ask any questions about the course.​

Your interview will be a one-to-one session with a member of our academic staff and is our way of seeing how suitable you are for the study of Computer Science. Your interview will cover:

Your motivation for studying computer science

Your understanding of what the subject of computer science is

Any prior experience that is relevant to computer science (e.g. programming, electronics projects, certain areas of maths)

Your technical ability,Broader experience relevant to succeeding at university.

​Your technical ability will​ also​ be assessed by working through a problem with your interviewer. The problems vary but could, for example, be similar to an A-level maths question, it could be something related to a project you have undertaken or it could be an algorithmic problem. We’re less interested in whether or not you get the problem right than we are in how you approach the problem. If the problem seems difficult, then think aloud and ask lots of questions.

​If you need any further information about our Interview Days, you can take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions.

Thanks,

Catherine Smith
Department of Computer Science​

Thank you very much
Hey there,

I am applying for the joint honours in Maths and Computer Science. I've received an e-mail inviting me to the Interview Day. I was wondering will this only be for the computer science part of the course or the maths side as well?
Original post by MathsAndChess
Hey there,

I am applying for the joint honours in Maths and Computer Science. I've received an e-mail inviting me to the Interview Day. I was wondering will this only be for the computer science part of the course or the maths side as well?

Hi there,

I can confirm that the interview day is for both elements of the joint courses in Computer Science and Maths.

The interview will be a one-to-one session with a member of our academic staff and is our way of seeing how suitable you are for the study of Computer Science and Maths. Your interview will cover:

Your motivation for studying computer science and maths

Your understanding of what the subject is

Your technical ability

Broader experience relevant to succeeding at university.

Our interviews are informal, friendly and give you the opportunity to chat about your interest in computer science with an academic who works at the forefront of the subject. This is also your chance to ask any questions about the course. Your technical ability will be assessed by working through a problem with your interviewer. The problems vary but could, for example, be similar to an A-level maths question, it could be something related to a project you have undertaken or it could be an algorithmic problem. We’re less interested in whether or not you get the problem right than we are in how you approach the problem. If the problem seems difficult, then think aloud and ask lots of questions.

Our interview days also give you an opportunity to meet with current students and lecturers. You will hear more about what we offer, as well as student perspectives on the course, the year in industry and life at York. We also invite one of our past students, so they can tell you how their degree has helped them in their career.

I hope that helps and if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thanks,

Catherine Smith
Reply 8
Please. Does York University admit ATHE diploma in Information & Digital Technologies certificate into Undergraduate Computer Science
Original post by Muftawu
Please. Does York University admit ATHE diploma in Information & Digital Technologies certificate into Undergraduate Computer Science

Hi @Muftawu,

I've spoken to the Computer Science Admissions Team and they've said they haven't accepted this qualification in the past. However they have looked at the qualification briefly and the Maths content alone doesn't look sufficient. It's likely that they would expect an A level in Maths (or equivalent) alongside this as A level Maths is an essential subject for our Computer Science courses. If you wish to apply with this qualification we would have to assess its suitability for undergraduate study upon application and they cannot guarantee at this stage that it would be acceptable.

If you'd like to talk to admissions yourself you can email them at [email protected] or call on +44 (0)1904 324000

Hope this helps,
Bea

Quick Reply