The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Have the Newcastle applicants been watching the A100 thread? Interviews are going out and the lowest score I've seen invited to interview so far is 712.5, doesn't bode well for A101 :frown: crossing my fingers they're starting with the highest scorers and working downwards!
Original post by LilithSternin
Have the Newcastle applicants been watching the A100 thread? Interviews are going out and the lowest score I've seen invited to interview so far is 712.5, doesn't bode well for A101 :frown: crossing my fingers they're starting with the highest scorers and working downwards!

We need to write an open letter to the uni's to say "hey you, dean of med school, tell me if you think you're a good doctor?? Now go take the UKCAT and i will categorically decide whether you are a good doctor or not and decide your life for you based on what score you get. Don't judge us just on the UKCAT - talk to us and read our statements!"

Sorry. I'm angry. I broke my toe and I'm mad about everything all of a sudden.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Amywool
We need to write an open letter to the uni's to say "hey you, dean of med school, tell me if you think you're a good doctor?? Now go take the UKCAT and i will categorically decide whether you are a good doctor or not and decide your life for you based on what score you get. Don't judge us just on the UKCAT - talk to us and read our statements!"

Bless you, i hope youre not in too much pain!

Also I completely agree, while I wouldnt have a chance of getting in without the UKCAT I still think its an awful tool and very rudimentary
Original post by Amywool

You're right, the UKCAT is a way of weeding out 'stronger' candidates which is required due to the courses competitive nature, but I think instead of using such a stupid entrance exam for so many universities that they should all just use the GAMSAT or something similar and lower the cost of actually taking the exam and the resources for it (i.e the GAMSAT gold standard book which sets one back £112!).
Original post by Amywool

I would sign that letter! :tongue: sorry to hear about your toe, hope you're feeling better soon and that you don't have to wait too long for news.
What college did you apply to?
Original post by Amywool

I watched a talk by kings and they said UKCAT correlated well with how people did on the course. I think it's as valid a selection tool as any.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clunkles
I watched a talk by kings and they said UKCAT correlated well with how people did on the course. I think it's as valid a selection tool as any.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The UKCAT website lists study after study demonstrating its efficacy as a predictive tool - of course! At the KCL open day I went to, they said it was basically an endurance test.
I have this theory that it's actually a way of testing whether or not you're ready for NHS bureaucracy :wink: Like, "when given a series of hoops to jump through that are time-consuming, frustrating, and have no obvious relevance to clinical medicine whatsoever, can you just grit your teeth and get on with it - yes or no?"
I'd back that as an explanation :laugh:
Original post by LizenkaLizenka
The UKCAT website lists study after study demonstrating its efficacy as a predictive tool - of course! At the KCL open day I went to, they said it was basically an endurance test.
I have this theory that it's actually a way of testing whether or not you're ready for NHS bureaucracy :wink: Like, "when given a series of hoops to jump through that are time-consuming, frustrating, and have no obvious relevance to clinical medicine whatsoever, can you just grit your teeth and get on with it - yes or no?"

😄😄 I think you're on to something there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LizenkaLizenka

I think you're into something there too!!
Original post by DT17
Has anyone heard from Birmingham, Southampton, or Warwick for interviews yet for A101/BM4? Looks like they are starting to go out for undergrads but maybe not grads?

I haven't heard anything from Birmingham yet
Original post by DT17
Has anyone heard from Birmingham, Southampton, or Warwick for interviews yet for A101/BM4? Looks like they are starting to go out for undergrads but maybe not grads?

Warwick says on their site that invitations to interview go out in December
Original post by Amywool

change campaign?? I would definetly sign it
Original post by DT17

Soton started on the 24th last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3354
Original post by macarenafc92
change campaign?? I would definetly sign it

The alternative is GAMSAT which is 100x worse...
interview just come through for Leicester undergrad! (as a graduate) anyone else heard? xx
well done! what was your UKCAT score?
An email from UCAS Media just made me jump out of my skin...:redface:
Original post by RWRC2421
interview just come through for Leicester undergrad! (as a graduate) anyone else heard? xx

As if I wasn't constantly checking my emails enough! I've applied there but not heard back yet.
Original post by RWRC2421

Congrats :biggrin:

Ive applied but havent heard yet, what did you score? Im not entirely sure what ive scored as i did access instead of a levels so it depends if thry class them as comparative
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending