The Student Room Group

Is taking a year out a good idea?

My dilemma is that I probably will be rejected to go to Leeds Uni for the course Audiology, why? CAUSE I SUCK AT MATHS. And I need a C+ to get in. I've done my 4th resit, and I don't find out the results until January, which is the deadline for personal statements. So Leeds will only see my D anyhow. I'm still going to try but if I get rejected, is it worth taking a year out, traveling, getting this C and getting experience before re-applying? I just don't know if I like the idea of being a year late, a year older than others. I NEED HELP PLEASE.
Original post by artushx
My dilemma is that I probably will be rejected to go to Leeds Uni for the course Audiology, why? CAUSE I SUCK AT MATHS. And I need a C+ to get in. I've done my 4th resit, and I don't find out the results until January, which is the deadline for personal statements. So Leeds will only see my D anyhow. I'm still going to try but if I get rejected, is it worth taking a year out, traveling, getting this C and getting experience before re-applying? I just don't know if I like the idea of being a year late, a year older than others. I NEED HELP PLEASE.

A lot of people are a year late, I've dropped out of uni to apply for Leeds Audiology next year, and I turn 21 next year, I have a friend on the course right now and she says the students are from a range of ages, So I wouldn't worry about that. I suggest to wait to see if they reject you first because you never know until results day what could actually happen, from then you could either get in via clearing somewhere else, if not then taking a year out really isn't the worst thing in the world.
Reply 2
Original post by thelittlehobbit
A lot of people are a year late, I've dropped out of uni to apply for Leeds Audiology next year, and I turn 21 next year, I have a friend on the course right now and she says the students are from a range of ages, So I wouldn't worry about that. I suggest to wait to see if they reject you first because you never know until results day what could actually happen, from then you could either get in via clearing somewhere else, if not then taking a year out really isn't the worst thing in the world.

Yeah, I understand and thank for the help! I'm just fussy and I hate the idea that everyone else will be younger than me in my flat and that.
Reply 3
Original post by artushx

Lots of people take a year out. I'd say that 18-year olds are the minority on my course. Some of us are much older lol
Reply 4
Original post by ayeeel
Lots of people take a year out. I'd say that 18-year olds are the minority on my course. Some of us are much older lol

Yeah I've heard that a lot. How does it go? Being a year older, does it make it weird? Socializing in the uni halls and flats? I'm just a really picky person.
At myuniversity, there are also many students that are much older than the others :wink:some of them started at the age of 30 because they also take some(!) years outor started working after graduation… If you feel like taking a year out, justdo it! Maybe you wont get the chance again after you got into university.
Reply 6
Original post by artushx
Yeah I've heard that a lot. How does it go? Being a year older, does it make it weird? Socializing in the uni halls and flats? I'm just a really picky person.

Well, I'm of the generation of most students' parents, so definitely not living in halls! Most "properly mature" students, i.e. late 20's and older, tend to try to find shared accommodation. I think everyone who has just had a gap year is in halls and the year's difference isn't an issue.
A C in gcse or A-level?
Reply 8
Original post by HenryKenry
A C in gcse or A-level?

GSCE
Reply 9
I took four years out and I'm so glad I did. It wasn't about getting into a better university, since I was happy enough with UWE, but I experienced a few years of work in marketing and that's how I decided what to study. I didn't do anything particularly interesting: just work, with no actual plans to go to university until late last year.

You'll meet loads of people older than 18 at university. I stay on campus and at 22 I'm the youngest of my flatmates. I think the oldest person I'm living with is 27 or so, and I also know students here who are in their 30s and 40s.

I really don't think you need to worry about taking just one year out. :biggrin:
Original post by artushx
GSCE

Are you doing Higher or Foundation GCSE? If Foundation you are just wasting your time, its much easier to get a C in Higher.
I'm taking a year out, I'm still in-between choices at the moment, if I apply now it's highly likely I will just drop out or hate my life for the next 3/4 years. I'm going to spend the first part of my gap year really getting out there and experiencing life just so I can finalise my decision before I apply to uni. There is nothing wrong with a gap year, I'm really looking forward to mine. :colondollar:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by HenryKenry
Are you doing Higher or Foundation GCSE? If Foundation you are just wasting your time, its much easier to get a C in Higher.

Yeah, higher tier.

Quick Reply

Latest