The Student Room Group

UNI acceptance grades

I plan to apply for Audiology, however, as usual, you need at least a C in Maths for GCSE. My problem is that I am awful at maths, I have just completed my final paper for my fourth resit of the exam. If I fail this one, would a uni (ideally leeds) still accept me if I had a good statement, and if I tried the final summer exam resit? Thats if I fail this one, I'll only know my results come January.
Original post by artushx
I plan to apply for Audiology, however, as usual, you need at least a C in Maths for GCSE. My problem is that I am awful at maths, I have just completed my final paper for my fourth resit of the exam. If I fail this one, would a uni (ideally leeds) still accept me if I had a good statement, and if I tried the final summer exam resit? Thats if I fail this one, I'll only know my results come January.

The answer to this is most will reject you. However I do know some are accepting for history without maths. whether this is the same for audiology I don't know. You going to need to check the gcse entry requirements for all universities and apply for any that don't require maths at gcse. alternatively you will need to pass the maths exam
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
The answer to this is most will reject you. However I do know some are accepting for history without maths. whether this is the same for audiology I don't know. You going to need to check the gcse entry requirements for all universities and apply for any that don't require maths at gcse. alternatively you will need to pass the maths exam

Yeah, guess I'm not going to uni then.
Reply 3
Original post by artushx

I'm in my first year studying Audiology at Southampton. There is a certain amount of the course already to do with the physics of sounds that requires a reasonable understanding of Maths. I think you are right that all the unis ask for a minimum of a C grade in Maths at GCSE. My advice is, if you really want to do Audiology, keep trying at the Maths as many times as you can (but maybe the rules are changing on this?). Certainly at Southampton they are leading us through the Maths and Physics very nicely and gently so no-one gets left behind. You just need to be able to scrape through the GCSE.

I might also be worth approaching Leeds (and others) to talk this through and see if there is any other way you can meet the Maths requirement - for Audiology you really just need to understand various specific concepts (so far in my course this has been trig, Pythagoras and logs) so *maybe* they can be flexible in finding another way to test your knowledge on this??? Only a thought, but Audiologists are in short supply and I don't think all the courses are full, so maybe they would be happy to meet you half way?

Good luck with it.
Reply 4
Thankyou so much!!! Yeah I understand all that ahah, its weird cause, I'm sort of boosted to get in the course since I'm deaf myself, I regularly go to the Audiology department for check ups so I know a great deal anyway. And maths, is the only thing dragging me down on this so yeah, thought I'd better check it out. But thankyou for your advice!!!
Reply 5
Original post by artushx
Thankyou so much!!! Yeah I understand all that ahah, its weird cause, I'm sort of boosted to get in the course since I'm deaf myself, I regularly go to the Audiology department for check ups so I know a great deal anyway. And maths, is the only thing dragging me down on this so yeah, thought I'd better check it out. But thankyou for your advice!!!

Being deaf isn't a disadvantage at all on this course! You might find that you are the centre of attention at the practicals, as it's great to practice on someone with a hearing loss :wink:

If you do contact the unis, my advice would be to stress how motivated you are, your personal interest in the course (your deafness should help you in this!) and that you will bend over backwards to try to satisfy the requirement to know the Maths required.
Reply 6
Original post by ayeeel
Being deaf isn't a disadvantage at all on this course! You might find that you are the centre of attention at the practicals, as it's great to practice on someone with a hearing loss :wink:

If you do contact the unis, my advice would be to stress how motivated you are, your personal interest in the course (your deafness should help you in this!) and that you will bend over backwards to try to satisfy the requirement to know the Maths required.

Oh yeah! I meant that, it just boosts me being accepted on the grade. When I went to the open day, the lecturer there said the same. I thought it was cool though cause, its helpful having a primary candidate on the course. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending