The Student Room Group

Kitchen issues in halls

Ok, so basically, I'm in a uni halls flat where there are 12 of us sharing a kitchen. We all get on well but there's a bit of an issue regarding freezer space. One of the boys doesn't (seem) to know how to cook, he goes home every 2 weeks or so and comes back with piles of frozen meals from his family. Obviously we understand the purpose of this, however with 12 of us sharing a kitchen there is not enough room for him to take up half of the freezer and several of my flatmates are getting a little irate about it. Any advice on how to resolve this? We've suggested doing flat cooking sessions and some people have given him tips on how to make certain things (which he always takes on board and seems enthusiastic about), however nothing has come of it. I'm aware this sounds a little trivial however we do need to resolve it somehow... Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by robinson96
Ok, so basically, I'm in a uni halls flat where there are 12 of us sharing a kitchen. We all get on well but there's a bit of an issue regarding freezer space. One of the boys doesn't (seem) to know how to cook, he goes home every 2 weeks or so and comes back with piles of frozen meals from his family. Obviously we understand the purpose of this, however with 12 of us sharing a kitchen there is not enough room for him to take up half of the freezer and several of my flatmates are getting a little irate about it. Any advice on how to resolve this? We've suggested doing flat cooking sessions and some people have given him tips on how to make certain things (which he always takes on board and seems enthusiastic about), however nothing has come of it. I'm aware this sounds a little trivial however we do need to resolve it somehow... Thanks

1 freezer between 12 of you? My complaints would be with your housing department, not the flatmate.
Reply 2
Original post by Reue
1 freezer between 12 of you? My complaints would be with your housing department, not the flatmate.

well, 2 freezer between 12, which granted isn't enough however we need to make the most of what we've got
Original post by robinson96
well, 2 freezer between 12, which granted isn't enough however we need to make the most of what we've got

Two freezers between 12 still seems like a relatively small amount. Most halls I've know have had around 1 freezer for every 4 people- so at least everyone can have one full shelf.

However, in the short term clearly this won't solve your problem and other people want to freeze food too. What does he do if the freezers are full when he brings all this food back? Could some of the food be refrigerated instead?

I would suggest that he brings up the need for more freezer space with your accommodation office, but in the mean time have a discussion about this as a flat. You've tried to help him, but he's a grown adult and won't starve.
Reply 4
share meals? If you each cook once every 12 days, then he provides the food when he gets back from his parents place he wont need to store it in the freezer. And for lunch I'm sure he could manage with a sandwhich/salad or whatever he doesnt need to cook! Even if not all of your flatmates want to do this, by getting just 7 people to agree you cook twice a fortnight and he provides the food when he gets back from his parents.

If this doesnt work out, get his to buy a freezer for his room!

and I'd complain to your uni too, thats not enough space! are the other halls like it too?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending