The Student Room Group

Londoners how will you buy a house in the future

Scroll to see replies

times are hard for poor flar sellers in Old Lunnun Tarn

[video="youtube;jCIS0sE1ENk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCIS0sE1ENk[/video]
Unless your parents are Russian billionaires I have no idea why you would choose to live there over the commuter belt in Surrey or Bucks.

Like why would you want to live in a terrace house which isn't a 5 story townhouse?
Reply 42
Original post by Most Competitive
Personally I don't need to. We have 2 homes in London: one where I live, and one where my parents are based.

However I do agree that the majority of the current generation will never be in a position to buy a London home. The cost of living and finding well-paid, stable employment are two of the major challenges that they face.

Yes, but one day you might want to own something instead of renting....
London has everything - the most famous football teams (Man United, Liverpool) the most famous rugby teams (Leicester, Bath) the most famous cricket teams (Yorkshire, Warwickshire). All the most famous bands (Oasis, Beatles, Black Sabbath). Plus the beer is cheap and the streets are lined with gold and there is no crime at all.

House prices in London are a £500,000 moron tax. Feel free to cough up.
Original post by Zerforax
Don't really want to derail the thread (he says as he does it anyway)

The same jobs don't exist in every field across the country. Let's look at accountancy, law and investment banking - you might have those types of jobs everywhere else but only in London do you get that same international element as London is a huge financial hub in the international market. No doubt some jobs will be the same regardless of location (for example being a GP or a teacher etc).
There are plenty of accountants all over the country. You know, businesses need accountants and they tend to get local accountants. They don't all go to London accountants. There may well be more

London's transport system is unrivaled to the rest of the country. You don't need a car to get around. Why do a shop by hand when you will most likely have a supermarket close by or you can order online and have it delivered to your doorstep.

I like to see what I buy before I get it, I like to look around shops, whether that is food or clothes. London's public transport system is incredible-but I prefer to have my own car that gets me from door to door rather than in some smelly fat mans armpit every morning and evening when I have to use a crowded tube train to get to work.
And I don't want to ship by hand, I want to buy in reasonable bulk to save money and look at what is on offer. Also, going to a butchers for quality meat and carrying it back on the tube? No way. And I'm not walking back all the way with it either.

Well people might be a tad unfair but I guess I was thinking that the brightest people on average do tend to be attracted to London as it offers the highest salaries and best opportunities. The other side of the coin is that you get more variety in people as you have people from all around the world coming to work in London (from Europe, the USA, Aus/NZ etc). With so many people in a dense area, you're more likely to find more like minded people regardless of how bizarre your interests may be.
The high salary is only there to cover the ridiculous rent. There is this recurring theme here-you talk about the 1% like you are them. You are not. They live in a posh London place, we live in shoeboxes. They have the high paying jobs that only London has, we get the jobs that could get a similar salary after expenses the rest of the country offers.
The 1% in London, yes, great. But good luck enjoying the great entertainment and bars there when you have nothing left after rent. And that will be you.
Well entertainment in the sense that you just have more events and options. If you want to see a show, or a theater production or even something random like Cirque Du Soleil. You get more concerts in London etc etc
Looks like I just covered that. For the people on the mega money great-you will just be spending half your salary paying off the mortgage off some rich guy who already has several properties through rent. Either that or paying less and living in one of the many dumps London has to offer.
Fair enough if you don't like going to live sports but you'll get more choice in football, rugby, cricket, Wimbledon and even smaller sports too.
Good luck paying for them, like I said. Or do pay for them and have no savings by the time you are thirty still.

Anyway like you say, each to their own. I lived in a small village growing up and then after that was in Sheffield for Uni but I'm glad I moved to London.

To stay on topic, I imagine I'll have to go begging to parents for help with the deposit amount, hope interest rates stay low enough and lending criteria aren't too strict.

Each to their own, but for me the more people try and convince me the less they actually do. Of course if I tried to convince you that London was how I felt I would be similarly unsuccessful.
Original post by cole-slaw
London has everything - the most famous football teams (Man United, Liverpool) the most famous rugby teams (Leicester, Bath) the most famous cricket teams (Yorkshire, Warwickshire). All the most famous bands (Oasis, Beatles, Black Sabbath). Plus the beer is cheap and the streets are lined with gold and there is no crime at all.

I see what you did there. And bit in bold;
Genius.

Isn't Manchester United football team based in Manchester?
Isn't Liverpool football team based in Liverpool?
Isn't Leicester rugby team based in Leicester?
Isn't Bath rugby team based in Bath?
Isn't Yorkshire cricket team based in Yorkshire?
Isn't Warwickshire cricket team based in Warwickshire?
Isn't the Beatles based in Liverpool?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lizmoo0721
The only part of London I would ever consider living is is Kensington or Knightsbridge, but spending so much money, I'd rather have a nice house than a small apartment for the same price.
DONT GET ME STARRTED WITH THE POLLUTION lollllll

Exactly. I mean why spend £1-2 million on a small flat there when you can get a large house, large garden, a Ferrari on the drive and some have some change left, and still live in a more affluent/posh area of the UK? Crazy.
Original post by i<3milkshake
Each to their own, but for me the more people try and convince me the less they actually do. Of course if I tried to convince you that London was how I felt I would be similarly unsuccessful.

Re accountants you ignored my point about the international work. I'm talking about being employed by the likes of PwC, Deloitte, E&Y, KPMG etc where you do very different work to working for the high street accountants.

That's fine if you have that personal preference. The flip side for me was where I lived before I could rarely eat out and find halal meat whereas in London there is more choice for my personal circumstances. Similarly there are more halal butchers for me in London where there wasn't for me up North.

I enjoy plenty that London has to offer by way of entertainment and sports. Quite like my flat in London too and wouldn't call it a dump. But like you say, a lot will be determined by what job you have/can get.
Original post by morgan8002
Isn't Manchester United football team based in Manchester?
Isn't Liverpool football team based in Liverpool?
Isn't Leicester rugby team based in Leicester?
Isn't Bath rugby team based in Bath?
Isn't Yorkshire cricket team based in Yorkshire?
Isn't Warwickshire cricket team based in Warwickshire?
Isn't the Beatles based in Liverpool?

:facepalm:
Already own one.

Spoiler

Original post by Paulwyn

But as I said, yes it is expensive but like any purchase you pay more for a better product.

You allow no room for overcharging and undercharging in your argument,
Look at supermarkets. It goes on a lot there. Look at the lifestyle available in America, France, Spain, with landscape, climate etc for half the price. Then you look cities, Barcelona, Paris, even New York. Face it London is extortionate and does suffer from pretension.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by The Rad Prince
Unless your parents are Russian billionaires I have no idea why you would choose to live there over the commuter belt in Surrey or Bucks.

Like why would you want to live in a terrace house which isn't a 5 story townhouse?

Surrey and Bucks is hideous, soulless, smug home counties uber-Tory land that's why. I'm not a massive London fan, but if I'm paying those prices I'd go for London over those hell holes.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Surrey and Bucks is hideous, soulless, smug home counties uber-Tory land that's why. I'm not a massive London fan, but if I'm paying those prices I'd go for London over those hell holes.

Uber-Tory I'll give you, but they're nice places if you don't mind girls with names like Penelope who spend their weekends riding horses.

You wouldn't get that much for 500,000 tbh.
Uber-Tory I'll give you, but they're nice places if you don't mind girls with names like Penelope who spend their weekends riding horses.

Lol, those girls won't look at you, they are snobby as hell.
Lol, those girls won't look at you, they are snobby as hell.

I didn't choose the thug life
Original post by Zerforax
Re accountants you ignored my point about the international work. I'm talking about being employed by the likes of PwC, Deloitte, E&Y, KPMG etc where you do very different work to working for the high street accountants.
Let us just take the first example you gave; PWC. Are they in Birmingham with a major office, doing international work,with big money?
You have this strange idea that outside of London all businesses are just small corner shops it seems. There is a world outside of London. And they aren't just all high street accountants. You know, while Londoners go shopping in big shopping centers we have that to! And while you have cars, so do we! Jaguar Land Rover is in the Midlands! And accountants outside of London aren't just some bookkeeping AAT technicians you know.
That was just the first example you gave-PWC.

That's fine if you have that personal preference. The flip side for me was where I lived before I could rarely eat out and find halal meat whereas in London there is more choice for my personal circumstances. Similarly there are more halal butchers for me in London where there wasn't for me up North.
You should see Birmingham now then. Halal everywhere it looks like. I guess up North it will be different, but in the Midlands it is perfectly fine. Not that I have kosher/halal anyway.

I enjoy plenty that London has to offer by way of entertainment and sports. Quite like my flat in London too and wouldn't call it a dump. But like you say, a lot will be determined by what job you have/can get.

If London was cheaper (my point in the OP) it could address many of these concerns. However, it isn't, and unless your parents are willing to back you good luck! You have managed it so congratulations, if you got it before the incredible rises since the crash well done.
I didn't choose the thug life

Lol, come off it man, I'm pretty middle class, when to state school though. But when you get into the English class system, it's ultra hypergamy, and class judgements can come down to tiny things. You're not really trying to deny the social apartheid that exists?
Lol, come off it man, I'm pretty middle class, when to state school though. But when you get into the English class system, it's ultra hypergamy, and class judgements can come down to tiny things. You're not really trying to deny the social apartheid that exists?

I know it exists and I don't dislike anyone for something they didn't choose, but I do dislike people who dislike other people for snobbish made up reasons. Anybody can be rich, anybody can be poor, it's not even a part of the essence of the person.

Quick Reply

Latest