The Student Room Group

People who don't want kids are lucky.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alter-ego
I think it's the other way around. A serious of choices determines whether you want to have children or not . Like, I dont want to have kids because I want more money for myself .

Good point.
I think it ultimately depends on the person.
We are like these mice? Given abundance we loose the ability to reproduce?

"
Universe 25 started out with eight mice, four males and four females. By day 560, the mouse population reached 2,200, and then steadily declined back down to unrecoverable extinction. At the peak population, most mice spent every living second in the company of hundreds of other mice. They gathered in the main squares, waiting to be fed and occasionally attacking each other. Few females carried pregnancies to term, and the ones that did seemed to simply forget about their babies. They'd move half their litter away from danger and forget the rest. Sometimes they'd drop and abandon a baby while they were carrying it."

http://io9.com/how-rats-turned-their-private-paradise-into-a-terrifyin-1687584457

It now gets all Mad Max.

"The few secluded spaces housed a population Calhoun called, "the beautiful ones." Generally guarded by one male, the females—- and few males inside the space didn't breed or fight or do anything but eat and groom and sleep. When the population started declining the beautiful ones were spared from violence and death, but had completely lost touch with social behaviors, including having sex or caring for their young."

It is possible to for animals to loose the ability to reproduce, even if that is just forgetting how to.
(edited 8 years ago)
Many people say things like how they don't want to a child when they are young (I'm assuming you are 14) and they change their minds later on in their lives.

We can't see the future.
Housing isn't going to put me off of having kids lmao. Neither is a career. By the time I ideally would like to have my first child I should have been settled into a good career for a decent amount of years, with savings for this house. Also, it's not like housing is expensive around the entire country. If I'm struggling so bad to find a house in London I'll just go somewhere else lol. Also in fact I may not even want a house straight away when I have my first kid. I'm more than happy to have a nice two bed apartment.

PS, I also think people with kids, a great career and home are lucky too.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by driftawaay
I don't think you can choose whether you want kids or not. It's just something you want or you don't. So if you happen to not wish to have a kid, you are lucky. Because most people are aching for it.

Fwiw I agree with you.

For anyone else continuing the debate, the choice itself is dictated by natural urges of which you cannot control. Ultimately the choice is technically yours but is going to be influenced by something you have no control over.

I'm indifferent to kids, I don't particularly want them (and would honestly prefer a pet dog) but I would be happy to have them providing I was financially stable enough because I'd want to see my partner happy.
Original post by So Instinct

For anyone else continuing the debate, the choice itself is dictated by natural urges of which you cannot control. Ultimately the choice is technically yours but is going to be influenced by something you have no control over.

See my mice ¬.¬

It is only in the last century that we as a species have such good access to near solid contraception, empowerment of women, loss of power the religion has etc. "Natural urges" are not that rigid. Humans definitely like to have sex. IN the past that was enough for children to come along eventually whether we consciously wanted them or not.
(edited 8 years ago)
Who want to be "Unlucky" ones, raise your hands. :biggrin:
Aside from going on holidays to weird places, maybe buying a boat and a light aircraft, I think I would get bored of money and just want a family.
I'd be willing to sacrifice spare time, money, stress etc for a family. I guess it depends on your approach and values.
Reply 29
Original post by Lunch Money
Many people say things like how they don't want to a child when they are young (I'm assuming you are 14) and they change their minds later on in their lives.

We can't see the future.

And I am assuming you aren't the sharpest tool in the shed.

I don't think you can choose whether you want kids or not. It's just something you want or you don't. So if you happen to not wish to have a kid, you are lucky. Because most people are aching for it.

I dunno about aching for them, it's irreversible and big responsibilities, and a very problematic world to bring them into right now, that said I do think it's biology and instinct and truth when your lust for someone you're so attracted to tells you to make a kid.
I don't want kids but sometimes I get sad that this brilliant set of genes won't be passed on
I was just reading that thread about Londoners not being able to buy a house.

Well, if you don't want kids, you obviously don't need a house. You can just live in a one bedroom flat.

I will also have a hell of a lot more disposable income to spend on myself.

I feel lucky today.

I just needed to share that.

How come you don't want kids?
Reply 33
Original post by Hashim123
How come you don't want kids?

No particular reason. I'm just not interested in it. I don't care for kids at all.
I don't want kids and it makes me feel upset. When my friends are like WHEN IM OLDER WITH MY KIDS I WILL... I wish I could want a big happy family but I don't. My mum says when I'm older I will change my mind but I doubt it.
Reply 35
Original post by RonnieRJ
I don't want kids but sometimes I get sad that this brilliant set of genes won't be passed on

sell ur eggs xo
Less "lucky", more "intelligent" :wink:
And I am assuming you aren't the sharpest tool in the shed.

How did you come to that conclusion?
Reply 38
I was just reading that thread about Londoners not being able to buy a house.

Well, if you don't want kids, you obviously don't need a house. You can just live in a one bedroom flat.

I will also have a hell of a lot more disposable income to spend on myself.

I feel lucky today.

I just needed to share that.

1-bed flats in London have also become ridiculously expensive.

Not sure if it is cheaper tbh. Let's assume that if you wanted children you'd probably have a partner, so twice the income. A 2-bed flat costs less than 2x a 1-bed flat, etc.
Reply 39
Original post by Lunch Money
How did you come to that conclusion?

I read your post.

Quick Reply

Latest