The Student Room Group

Londoners how will you buy a house in the future

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Rad Prince
I know it exists and I don't dislike anyone for something they didn't choose, but I do dislike people who dislike other people for snobbish made up reasons. Anybody can be rich, anybody can be poor, it's not even a part of the essence of the person.

Well, if you judge people on essence that's great, same as me, but it's idealistic, you are deluded if you think loads of those girls who's parents want them to be posh, and will go on to want their kids to be posh, are willing to judge you on instinct, or essence, or any of that. They will judge you on class(including the minutiae of), their minds are conditioned to it, they constantly put filters and calculation in the way of just judging you on a human basis. It's part of hypergamy and their mate selection. All women do it in one way or another. She may have an instinctive like, but if it doesn't follow conditioning, in this case class or money(eg 2 -is he a bad boy?) they will then second guess their instinct and go for what conditioning dictates. Even if you were a perfect genetic match for reproduction, it wouldn't matter. Schema have more power. And they reinforce conventional and predictable mate selection in many cases. No-one is more (small C?)conservative than this demographic of people in choosing a mate. We are talking women, more conservative to begin with, then add to that that ultra conservative region in the south-east, then add to that that the are posh. You are on a hiding to nothing trying to date a woman like that if you are anything other than their exact, demographic, male equivalent.
(edited 8 years ago)
My dream has always been to own a penthouse flat in Canary Wharf. However, after this thread, I'm starting to have doubts :lol: I could probably put that money to better use elsewhere in the country

Original post by morgan8002
Isn't Manchester United football team based in Manchester?
Isn't Liverpool football team based in Liverpool?
Isn't Leicester rugby team based in Leicester?
Isn't Bath rugby team based in Bath?
Isn't Yorkshire cricket team based in Yorkshire?
Isn't Warwickshire cricket team based in Warwickshire?
Isn't the Beatles based in Liverpool?

You sir, deserve a round of applause.
Reply 62
So looks like our generation, at least for people that chose to live in London is going to become the generation that rents....which implies that power and wealth is going to be increasingly concentrated in the hands of the few.

So seems like if you want any chance at being well-off, now is the time to work your ass off, before its too late!
Original post by driftawaay
Tbh I dont even understand people who commute from Brighton, the commute is over three hours. Like dont you wanna have a life outside work? I would rather be on benefits than commute 3+ hours. Thats a road trip. :colonhash:

I would have thought a direct train from London to Brighton is less than 3 hours tbh because you can get a train from London to Brighton and they run frequently...
Reply 64
Original post by Another
My dream has always been to own a penthouse flat in Canary Wharf. However, after this thread, I'm starting to have doubts :lol: I could probably put that money to better use elsewhere in the country

My friend has a penthouse flat in Royal Victoria (2 stops from C.Wharf) and it has a terrace that you could fit about 8 cars into.

Apart from the fact that it's a slam dunk when it comes to house parties, it's not even that useful a perk tbh.
Original post by ebam_uk
I would have thought a direct train from London to Brighton is less than 3 hours tbh because you can get a train from London to Brighton and they run frequently...

Yes, except when its the usual commuting time in the morning, it takes longer at those times obviously. So it ends up being over 3 hours there and back.
Original post by Another

You sir, deserve a round of applause.

Why in Canary Wharf and also, if you work hard enough and can earn /save the money eventually it is possible...

Whether it is a good investment or not is another question.
Yes, except when its the usual commuting time in the morning, it takes longer at those times obviously. So it ends up being over 3 hours there and back.

But tbh, I dont think its unusual for people to commute on that distance for a higher paid and better job. Since it is 1hr6 mins from London Bridge to Brighton, thats one fixed journey, I think its possible a lot of people do work or read or sleep even during that time...

For the right opportunity it could be worth it in the medium term...
- Get a good finance job out of graduation.
- Stay at home for 3-4 more years and save for a deposit.
- Get a boost in my deposit from parents.
- Buy new-build in currently relatively cheap, gentrifying area... Lewisham is a good example right now.
- Live with ****ty-ish neighborhood for a few years while the gentrification takes hold.
- PROFIT.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Thade
You're going to commute from Leeds 5 days a week?

HS2.
Original post by MAINE.
My friend has a penthouse flat in Royal Victoria (2 stops from C.Wharf) and it has a terrace that you could fit about 8 cars into.

Apart from the fact that it's a slam dunk when it comes to house parties, it's not even that useful a perk tbh.

And the bragging rights, of course. Let's not forget the number one reason here now :lol:

Original post by ebam_uk
Why in Canary Wharf and also, if you work hard enough and can earn /save the money eventually it is possible...

Whether it is a good investment or not is another question.

Beautiful views, beautiful housing (one of the few places in the UK that's not still blighted by this georgian/victorian nonsense), constantly busy and I've always wanted to live near the river. Probably not the ideal place to be starting a family, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it

I'll just have to live like a student for about 15 years of my working life...
Original post by versari
Yes, but one day you might want to own something instead of renting....

By 'have' I meant that we own them :smile:

Renting is probably the only viable option for most people, though, including young and successful professionals.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
You allow no room for overcharging and undercharging in your argument,
Look at supermarkets. It goes on a lot there. Look at the lifestyle available in America, France, Spain, with landscape, climate etc for half the price. Then you look cities, Barcelona, Paris, even New York. Face it London is extortionate and does suffer from pretension.

i used to live in Barcelona so can speak first hand on the extortionate cost of living there,, not to mention the cockroaches that infest apartments when the street cleaners come round, the crime, the poverty, the lack of green space, HUGE drug problem and prostitution.As for Paris the center is very pretty, however, it can not compare to London for green open spaces, nightlife, culture even food. Also, if you venture outside of the center (I recently stayed near Chateau Rouge) it is an absolute hole, unsafe, overcrowded, poverty stricken slums.

A friend of mine lives in Paris and the house prices there are insane for a hovel, far, far more expensive than Zone 1 for nowhere near as much space.
Parents house lol, if for some reason the house is no longer available, I'll just rent a place :P And if the rent becomes too high in the future, I'll just have roommates so its cheaper :P
Reply 74
Original post by Rakas21
HS2.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-16473296

"The onward legs to Manchester and Leeds could start being built in the middle of the next decade, with the line open by 2032-33."
1) Get a degree at Oxford or Cambridge (Any other uni is rubbish and not worth attending) in economics.
2) Land myself that sweet graduate job as an investment banker because I'm clearly amazing in every way, have great interpersonal skills and am stellar academically.
3) Rake in a £50000 starting salary with bonuses
4) ?????
5) Profit
Original post by TheGuyReturns
- Get a good finance job out of graduation.
- Stay at home for 3-4 more years and save for a deposit.
- Get a boost in my deposit from parents.
- Buy new-build in currently relatively cheap, gentrifying area... Lewisham is a good example right now.
- Live with ****ty-ish neighborhood for a few years while the gentrification takes hold.
- PROFIT.

If you stomach living at home and buy multiple properties and rent them out, after 10 years u can use the rental income/ equity to buy a few more properties and retire altogether...
I'm more concerned about the cost of housing in the South East. I might just make a clean break in a cheaper part of the country, Scotland maybe - I don't even like London, so why pay so much to be near it?

Original post by Paulwyn
i used to live in Barcelona so can speak first hand on the extortionate cost of living there,, not to mention the cockroaches that infest apartments when the street cleaners come round, the crime, the poverty, the lack of green space, HUGE drug problem and prostitution.As for Paris the center is very pretty, however, it can not compare to London for green open spaces, nightlife, culture even food. Also, if you venture outside of the center (I recently stayed near Chateau Rouge) it is an absolute hole, unsafe, overcrowded, poverty stricken slums.

A friend of mine lives in Paris and the house prices there are insane for a hovel, far, far more expensive than Zone 1 for nowhere near as much space.

You went voluntarily into the banlieue? Are you mad? I rather like Paris because the centre is actually lived in by normal people, unlike London where it is all offices and billionaires.
incest

nope, I work at TSR which is based in Brighton and live in Wimbledon, my commute door to door is an hour 20...and honestly I love it, rolling countryside, Battles on Spotify and churning through a good book. Despite being surrounded by people it's a great way of having time to yourself.

it would be 3 hours (maybe) if you lived in North London but considering it is 50 minutes Brighton to Victoria and 20 minutes Victoria to Kings X then even that is pretty quick.

Ultimately we have no right to home ownership, I saved relentlessly for 8 years to get deposit, stamp duty and all that crap together. It's not easy but it is doable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending