The Student Room Group

People who don't want kids are lucky.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by driftawaay
Well, yes, most people are materialistic and stupid and spend their days working 9-5 just so they can afford to live in some fancy place that they don't need, drive a fancy car they don't need and buying an iPhone that they don't need. I am not one of those people, I am a minimalist so this isn't a problem for me. Clearly, since I will not have kids, I will only live with my partner who will obviously share a room with me, therefore we only need a one bedroom place. Spending on anything bigger than this would be money down the drain, I wouldn't get a bigger place even if I was rolling in cash.

Everyone wants more disposable income and more freedom - both people who want kids and people who don't. However, only those who want kids want to bring life into this world. So no, there aren't really two sides.

You're minimalist, yet why do you keep mentioning this disposable income?

Also, you can (if you reaaally wanted to) live in a one bedroom flat with a kid, so this destroys the premise of your argument.

Also, everyone wants it, but is it necessary?
Original post by Bridget Jones
I
Personally, I'd feel I would:
a) be lonely
b) not know what to do with this apparent "excess of money" that would come from not having kids
c) feel a hole of some sort in my life

I can think of non materialistic ways of using that excess. You could use the excess for charitable good. Or you could just work less. Go 3/4 days a week so you actually have time to enjoy being a human as opposed to being a piece of machinery.

A big problem I have with this debate is that is so geared around the capitalistic lonely society we have created with this obsession with the nuclear family unit being the end all. Even if you never have children of your own you can still help raise children. You may have siblings who have children, you can help with that. You could help at an orphanage, children's hospice or get involved in youth groups. IN this country in the 80s we had fringe mini feminist communal dwellings where single women would help raise up their children together. Society is just so atomised and split up into various divisions of labour that it just crushes a lot of the "natural" human behaviour that isn't just focused around solely looking after and providing your own direct offspring.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 82
You're minimalist, yet why do you keep mentioning this disposable income?

Also, you can (if you reaaally wanted to) live in a one bedroom flat with a kid, so this destroys the premise of your argument.

Also, everyone wants it, but is it necessary?

Being a minimalist doesn't mean you want to live in poverty, it just means you spend your money wisely instead of splashing out on material things which don't really add value to your life.

I am not trying to put forward any 'argument' in my original post, I just highlighted the fact that I feel lucky that I don't need to worry about things like buying a home that is appropriate to raise kids.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I can think of non materialistic ways of using that excess. You could use the excess for charitable good. Or you could just work less. Go 3/4 days a week so you actually have time to enjoy being a human as opposed to being a piece of machinery.

Well, you make that sound like something that I'm not interested in. I volunteer regularly, and I will continue to do so, after having kids. I also LIKE my career, thank you. The weekends are a perfect time to enjoy being a human too :lol:
Reply 84
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Lol exactly. I feel so sad for people who say things like that, the only thing that's worse is 'I dont know what I would do if I didnt have a 9-5 job, I would be so bored'. I guess boring people are bored. :frown:
Reply 85
I also LIKE my career, thank you. The weekends are a perfect time to enjoy being a human too :lol:

Oh no, here we go... I predicted it
I only have one child but I regret it since the day he popped out.
Being a minimalist doesn't mean you want to live in poverty, it just means you spend your money wisely instead of splashing out on material things which don't really add value to your life.

I am not trying to put forward any 'argument' in my original post, I just highlighted the fact that I feel lucky that I don't need to worry about things like buying a home that is appropriate to raise kids.

Well, that is understandable. Would you be so kind as to explain where this excess of money would be going?

I wasn't referring to your OP when I said argument.

I'm sorry but I don't believe that not having kids would make your life automatically better because you don't need to worry about buying a home that is appropriate to raise kids. That's a childish way of thinking about it really.

I mean who sits there and goes "hmm, I have this belief / made this choice. Daaamn, I reaally am so much more lucky than these poor people who didn't make this choice."
Lol exactly. I feel so sad for people who say things like that, the only thing that's worse is 'I dont know what I would do if I didnt have a 9-5 job, I would be so bored'. I guess boring people are bored. :frown:

Well ideally you if there is two of you you could both work part time and have enough to raise children.

This is more a problem with wealth distribution as it is harder to bring up children on one income now than it use to be.
Reply 89
Original post by MsAwesomeGenius
I only have one child but I regret it since the day he popped out.

Oh lord, datchu Mr Awesome Genius or is it a fan of yours??
I think a lot of people want kids because they're scared of not being alone in later life.
I want kids when I'm older because I'm extremely maternal and I know I'd be good at it. I want a family and I love family life.
Honestly, I struggle to understand why people wouldn't want children. Not to say I think they should want them, just that I can't relate to it in any way- and that's rare for me because I'm hugely empathetic.
Reply 91
Well, that is understandable. Would you be so kind as to explain where this excess of money would be going?

I wasn't referring to your OP when I said argument.

I'm sorry but I don't believe that not having kids would make your life automatically better because you don't need to worry about buying a home that is appropriate to raise kids. That's a childish way of thinking about it really.

I mean who sits there and goes "hmm, I have this belief / made this choice. Daaamn, I reaally am so much more lucky than these poor people who didn't make this choice."

As it's already been said, I would spend my disposable income on savings so that I eventually don't have to work full time or so that I can retire earlier, plus I would spend it on experiences such as travel. I would spend it on living, as opposed to spending it on material possessions.

And again, I am not saying that my life will be better than anyone else's just because I don't have to buy a house. Stop stressing so much about it.
Oh no, here we go... I predicted it

You predicted that I actually like what I do for a living?

You're either immature or clearly haven't met anyone who appreciates their job. I do Pharmacy, so personally: I'd rather be at work, making a difference and talking to people and learning from them, than sit at home. The latter is rather unproductive and depressing. This would be different if I had my own family.
Some people value having a family of their own , over having disposable income , more free time etc.
As it's already been said, I would spend my disposable income on savings so that I eventually don't have to work full time or so that I can retire earlier, plus I would spend it on experiences such as travel. I would spend it on living, as opposed to spending it on material possessions.

And again, I am not saying that my life will be better than anyone else's just because I don't have to buy a house. Stop stressing so much about it.

Fair enough.

I'm not stressing about it :erm:

Saying you're lucky is just immature tbh
Original post by picklescamp
i think a lot of people want kids because they're scared of not being alone in later life.
I want kids when i'm older because i'm extremely maternal and i know i'd be good at it. I want a family and i love family life.
Honestly, i struggle to understand why people wouldn't want children. Not to say i think they should want them, just that i can't relate to it in any way- and that's rare for me because i'm hugely empathetic.

exactly this , yes preach !
Reply 96
You predicted that I actually like what I do for a living?

Don't be suchh a strawman.

You're either immature or clearly haven't met anyone who appreciates their job. I do Pharmacy, so personally: I'd rather be at work, making a difference and talking to people and learning from them, than sit at home. The latter is rather unproductive and depressing. This would be different if I had my own family.

As I said, boring people are bored: they sit at home when they are not working.
Reply 97
Fair enough.

I'm not stressing about it :erm:

Saying you're lucky is just immature tbh

Reply 98
Nature didn't pick me.:wink:
Don't be suchh a strawman.

As I said, boring people are bored: they sit at home when they are not working.

If you're referring to the strawman argument, that was used in the wrong context.

You're twisting my words. I said I preferred work over sitting at home. I didn't say if I was not working, I would not do other things that I enjoy like volunteering, like travelling, like spending time with family etc.

Quick Reply

Latest