The Student Room Group

Plymouth Medical School Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by robins620
Rejected. UKCAT 2700 but only 560 on AR so automatically out. Really disappointed as I liked Plymouth. 😕

Really sorry to hear that but best of luck with your other applications...
Original post by Dr Gin
If the rest of you with interviews would be happy to post your achieved/predicted A levels it would be really helpful; thanks!

A*AAB Achieved 3050 UKCAT VR:640 QR: 880 AR:830 DA:700
Original post by Dr Gin
If the rest of you with interviews would be happy to post your achieved/predicted A levels it would be really helpful; thanks!

A*AAb achieved
2610 VR:540 QR:790 AR:640 DA:640

What is the best way to travel to Plymouth? Direct train and return costs well over £100 (from Birmingham) :s-smilie:
Reply 63
AAA predicted
2910 VR: 650 QR: 850 AR: 750 DA:660 and Band 1
A*A*A predicted, 2830 UKCAT :smile:
AAB achieved, resitting the B with a predicted A*
2910 Band 2 UKCAT (VR 790, QR and AR 740, DA 640)

Everyone who has their interviews on the 26th, what time have you got? :smile:
Original post by WayneEnterprises
A*AAb achieved

What is the best way to travel to Plymouth? Direct train and return costs well over £100 (from Birmingham) :s-smilie:

Try MegaBus!
WayneEnterprises
A*AAb achieved

I'm travelling from Birmingham too 😥
Interview on the 25th! UKCAT is 702.5 average and my predictions are A*AA
Reply 69
Interview on the 27th. A*AA achieved and 700 UKCAT

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by medlyfe
Rang them up today, here are the cutoffs

VR:530
QR:650
AR:610
DA:600

Overall: 2610
Interview dates: 25th/26th/27th

They are hoping to notify us by the end of the week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Guys, I also called up on Tuesday morning and was told the cutoffs. They are the same as this TSR user said so I'm just backing it up so anyone who is left to hear can trust these numbers.

Also , you must meet each of the 5 scores so for anyone left to hear from Plymouth, you can assume that if you've met the academic criteria ( you should have known this ages agO) and the UKCAT cut off for all 5 bits, then you should be called for interview unless you have something else that they've picked up on in your application. Good luck to everyone who is yet to hear :smile:
Original post by Dr Gin
Whilst I entirely respect your opinion, just to give balance (so that none of you are put-off); IMO Plymouth is lovely: it's incredibly friendly, you wake up to the sounds of seagulls, most of the halls are only 10 minutes walk from the harbour front, the social life is fantastic, the interview was friendly, MedSoc are incredibly supportive and the medical school is well-equipped and forward-thinking. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea (nowhere is I suppose) and you have to be prepared for a lot of self-directed learning which won't suit everybody but the first years I have spoken to are loving it...

Good luck to you all!

Did you complete your MBBS at Plymouth :smile:?
Reply 72
Interview on the 27th:biggrin:
670UKCAT Predicted A*A*A (+A* Welsh bacc)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 73
Reply 74
Original post by painandpride15
Did you complete your MBBS at Plymouth :smile:?

No, Plymouth Med School didn't exist back then! I was at Leicester which is great but not as many seagulls...
Original post by Dr Gin
No, Plymouth Med School didn't exist back then! I was at Leicester which is great but not as many seagulls...

I see ! Have you heard anything bad about Plymouth Med School?
Original post by Ell_Partington
Try MegaBus!

Coach takes almost 6 hours! :eek4:
Original post by WayneEnterprises
Coach takes almost 6 hours! :eek4:

Go for the train !
Reply 78
Original post by painandpride15
I see ! Have you heard anything bad about Plymouth Med School?

Not at all. Everyone I've spoken to has great things to say about it and the GMC have been very impressed with it so far. The recent GMC survey into the 'preparedness' of students graduating to begin their work as doctors put it in the top 4 med schools in the country (effectively joint 3rd with Exeter as it was still Peninsula then). The only glitch (depending on your personality) could be the PBL teaching method which won't suit everyone: there is absolutely no spoon-feeding so even the first years are having to get good at self-directed learning very quickly.
Original post by Dr Gin
Not at all. Everyone I've spoken to has great things to say about it and the GMC have been very impressed with it so far. The recent GMC survey into the 'preparedness' of students graduating to begin their work as doctors put it in the top 4 med schools in the country (effectively joint 3rd with Exeter as it was still Peninsula then). The only glitch (depending on your personality) could be the PBL teaching method which won't suit everyone: there is absolutely no spoon-feeding so even the first years are having to get good at self-directed learning very quickly.

Oh I see. How do you know so much about Plymouth? Is Plymouth all PBL? mm it's self-directed learning meaning you don't just learn content given from lectures?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending