The Student Room Group

Hello, I was diagnose with a heart murmur, is it likely I'll die from it?

Hello

I went into hospital about the age of 12- 14 as I had a rash on my neck or something but we never found out what that was but at the hospital I was put on a machine and the doctor told me my heart rhythm sounded irregular, the doctor or nurse told me I had a slight heart murmur ( can't remember if they actually said it was a slight murmur or not) but they told me It was nothing to worry about and didn't say I needed treatment.

I was 24 last month, woop woop!!
Sometimes I feel breathless and find it hard for a few seconds to catch breath, not sure if that may be due to exhaustion, anxiety or heart murmur

I'll cut too the chase and I want your honest opinion, do you think I will die from a heart murmur ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by green.tea
My dog had one. He died. Sorry.

No, I'm sorry

How old was s/he and what was s/his name ?
Are you really asking for non qualified strangers opinions over what your doctor told you?
The doctors said no, so you probably won't die

The Big mac/large fries/coca cola combo I just tortured my body with tells me I am more likely to die of a heart problem than you
There's lots of different heart murmurs, most are benign, so you almost certainly won't die from it. But yeah there's lots of different types and causes. So if you're worried about it, go to your doctor and tell them that you were once diagnosed with a heart murmur, but you don't know what type and you'd like to know more.

My mum has a heart murmur, it has no effect on her day-to-day life, and she was so unfussed by it she genuinely forgot that she was ever diagnosed with it.
Jonzza isright.... there are several kinds heart murmurs (I have one too and my doctorstold my not to worry as well :wink:) so, if it doesn’t has an effect on your dailylife and your doctors reconsider the diagnosis, nothing will happen to you! Butif you want to be sure, just get a new check at the hospital.
Original post by Noodlzzz
Are you really asking for non qualified strangers opinions over what your doctor told you?

Doctors lie. They told me I'd get over losing my dog. It was 5 years ago and I still cry myself to sleep every night.
Reply 7
Doctors lie. They told me I'd get over losing my dog. It was 5 years ago and I still cry myself to sleep every night.

I'm so sorry

Everyone says that but nobody cares. Like the burglars who stole my computer that had all the photos I had of him.
you are 24 and you are on here you are old af.

Anyway why did you even ask this.

I have one, still go on roller coasters, smoke etc.hahaha
My dad has one. He's 56 or 57??

Still going strong.

In better shape than a lot of 30 year olds!
Original post by Mihael_Keehl

If you think 24 is 'old af' you must be about 10.
Reply 12
Depends on the heart murmur...
Original post by I love life
Hello

I went into hospital about the age of 12- 14 as I had a rash on my neck or something but we never found out what that was but at the hospital I was put on a machine and the doctor told me my heart rhythm sounded irregular, the doctor or nurse told me I had a slight heart murmur ( can't remember if they actually said it was a slight murmur or not) but they told me It was nothing to worry about and didn't say I needed treatment.

I was 24 last month, woop woop!!
Sometimes I feel breathless and find it hard for a few seconds to catch breath, not sure if that may be due to exhaustion, anxiety or heart murmur

I'll cut too the chase and I want your honest opinion, do you think I will die from a heart murmur ?

They're quite common in young people and 99% of the time they are benign and harmless. If you are worried go to your GP and ask for an ECG (Echo cardiogram) to determine the cause.

I only know this because I went to do a Clinical Trial and they disqualified me from doing it after they found I had one (unknown to me up until this point)

I'm sure its nothing
Everyone says that but nobody cares. Like the burglars who stole my computer that had all the photos I had of him.

I care and I bet everybody else do too. So sorry to hear your computer got robbed with the photos of ya dog on .
I
I know what it is like to have a beloved pet die, absolutely devastating
Original post by somethingbeautiful
If you think 24 is 'old af' you must be about 10.

If you think 24 is young you must be what? 25? :biggrin:
Original post by Mihael_Keehl

24 isn't old whatsoever, try switching the numbere around, perhaps 42 is old af

And I bet your aged about 10
This is all correct, but an ECG is different from an echocardiogram. ECG is short for electrocardiogram, which is a tracing of the electrical activity of the heart, and not particularly helpful in this scenario. You are right than an echo is what might be needed.

OP, most childhood murmurs (which is not really a diagnosis exactly, it just means there is an additional heart sound when listening - can be due to many different things) are insignificant, and most go away by adulthood, so you may not even have it any more. If your doctor at the time wasn't worried, I doubt you should be now.
Probably.
Original post by Helenia
This is all correct, but an ECG is different from an echocardiogram. ECG is short for electrocardiogram, which is a tracing of the electrical activity of the heart, and not particularly helpful in this scenario. You are right than an echo is what might be needed.

OP, most childhood murmurs (which is not really a diagnosis exactly, it just means there is an additional heart sound when listening - can be due to many different things) are insignificant, and most go away by adulthood, so you may not even have it any more. If your doctor at the time wasn't worried, I doubt you should be now.

My apologies; I thought they were analogous. I remember having an electrocardiogram done on me which is what showed up me having a slow heart rhythm in the first place but they did say that they might need to do an echocardiogram to find out if one of my valves is a bit wonky. Is that right?

I'm 21 and I have a heart murmur, should I be worried?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending