The Student Room Group

Why are reality shows so popular?

I have noticed an increasing trend of 'reality shows', like made in chelsie, the only way is essex, big brother, and documentries like benefits britain etc....

What is the appeal? What is it about such shows that makes them so appealing to the human species?

Then again many people despise them, and those that dont, refer to them as 'guilty pleasures'

Why do you think this is?
Reply 1
Thoughts....?
Reply 2
Original post by number23
I have noticed an increasing trend of 'reality shows', like made in chelsie, the only way is essex, big brother, and documentries like benefits britain etc....

What is the appeal? What is it about such shows that makes them so appealing to the human species?

Then again many people despise them, and those that dont, refer to them as 'guilty pleasures'

Why do you think this is?

Lol mate how old are you?

Reality tv is hardly a "new" or "increasing" trend...and Big Brother? Lol, there are people on this forum that are younger than Big Brother.

Appeal of reality tv is simple. Who doesnt love to watch other people bicker, bitch, fight, throw tantrums and basically carry themselves with the least of dignity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Big Brother is probably the only reality show that I actually watch. TOWIE, Made In Chelsea, Geordie Shore etc just don't appeal to me, even though I've never watched an episode of any of them.

I like Big Brother as I find that I get to 'like' some, or sometimes all, of the contestants there and it's interesting to see the different tasks. I also want to apply to be on it in the future soo.. why not watch it?

For some people the shows you've mentioned are 'entertainment.
We all love a bit of drama :ahee:

Tbh I think it's a mix of seeing how others live (compared to you) and satisfying the nosey part of us, wanting to know latest gossip - who's getting with who, who's fallen out, etc...

I've never really been into them but have recently started watching made in chelsea simply because of their accents :love:
Reply 5
because people think it's real...

i think people just like to see their favourite actors/ TV hosts (ant and dec are quite popular :wink: ) or they just like to see people's reactions to things. kinda like why people watch reaction videos - to see how other people cope and to laugh at them when they screw up :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by MAINE.
Lol mate how old are you?

Reality tv is hardly a "new" or "increasing" trend...and Big Brother? Lol, there are people on this forum that are younger than Big Brother.

Appeal of reality tv is simple. Who doesnt love to watch other people bicker, bitch, fight, throw tantrums and basically carry themselves with the least of dignity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Someone's fiesty

It is for sure increasing, the Kardashians are one of the most famous families in the WORLD, due to their reality tv show

True. It makes people feel better about themselves
Because we're nosy. We like to have a good gander at other people and judge whether we're better than them or not and laugh at the stupid **** they do.
The public have **** tastes.
Reply 9
Because chavs won't watch University challange or discovery channel.

It makes people feel better about themselves.

It's thoughtless TV that doesn't require a lot of attention.

You don't have to watch every episode.

It's mildly entertaining for 99% of people, giving them smalltalk topics outside of the weather and vague statements about politicians being crooks.

It's on most of the time, so if you're waiting for a programme that isn't reality TV, then you might watch 10 minutes of X-factor before your show comes on.

(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest