The Student Room Group

GCSE History or Geography?

I will be choosing my GCSEs soon for Year 11 and I have narrowed down my last choices to either history and geography. I am not entirely sure on what to choose so I would like the opinions of people who have done these to see what you have thought and help me make my decision.
(The courses are with CCEA just in case you were wondering)
depends what u like more!!!
i didn't take both of them coz i didn't liked them
however if i were u.. i would like to take geography coz in my view geo is better than history
but its ur GCSEs not mine so choice is urs
Reply 2
Original post by fatima1998
depends what u like more!!!
i didn't take both of them coz i didn't liked them
however if i were u.. i would like to take geography coz in my view geo is better than history
but its ur GCSEs not mine so choice is urs

I am considering History over Geography mainly because I don't really like my geography teacher this year and that's putting my off it. I'm still just trying to keep an open mind though
Id you're better at essay writing --------> History
If you are better at science -----------> Geography

And if you're good at both choose what you enjoy :smile: I take Geography and I love it. My friends that are taking both think history is harder because of the structure of the answers, Geography is mainly memorizing facts, analyzing graphs maps and charts and learning case studies.
Original post by RyzoRGS
I am considering History over Geography mainly because I don't really like my geography teacher this year and that's putting my off it. I'm still just trying to keep an open mind though

haha teacher excuse haan :biggrin:
Original post by RyzoRGS
I will be choosing my GCSEs soon for Year 11 and I have narrowed down my last choices to either history and geography. I am not entirely sure on what to choose so I would like the opinions of people who have done these to see what you have thought and help me make my decision.
(The courses are with CCEA just in case you were wondering)

What other gcses are you doing? Have in mind that in geography there many process i.e. formation of a volcano/ wildfire/ tropical storm/ development of a country (you get the point) but with history the information is more extensive and there is a lot more content. With geography you don't really have to revise as much, personally because it's easy to link one point with another. i.e people stay near a volcano because there are minerals > fertile soil > this makes it easier to grow crops > this can be a good for business/ local farmers. I think you see what I mean.
With history, you have to actually memorise key dates and facts. I'm doing crime and punishment + Germany. I have found history much much much more stressful because of the range of information.
I love them both tbh. It'd be easier for me to give you more help if I had the other subjects you want to take. :smile:
I took GCSE history and really enjoyed it. I don't know much about GCSE geography, so can't tell you much about it. Just choose which one you prefer and goes well with your other subjects.
I kind of regret choosing History, sort of, just because essay writing really isn't my thing - I'm planning to take mainly maths and science for my A-Levels, but content wise, I think that I myself liked History more than I would have liked Geography, since the topics are far more interesting. This does depend on your exam board, and what topics your school is covering, however, so maybe ask your school teachers about what exactly you'll be studying next, and possibly pick the one that takes your interest.

Overall, you should pick the one you enjoy the most, and the one that you'd be most willing to study for another two years (and maybe just pick the one you're better at if you enjoy both of them equally).
I would not recommend History to anyone. I find my A Level subjects easier than I found History. There is far far too much to learn. It takes on average 30 hours to revise the course!
Do history
Reply 10
I chose both history and geography in my options. I honestly really regret taking geography simply due to the Controlled Assessment you have to do. It is extremely time consuming and very difficult to get exactly right.

However, people could say the same about history due to how work heavy it is. I found that you have to remember lots of structures for exam questions and the mark schemes are hard to get full marks on.

I would advise you have a double check on your school's curriculum and exam boards though, because this could change with the new GCSEs.

Good luck though! :h:
HISTORY. It is an amazing GCSE and (in my humble opinion) really fun. However if you do not enjoy writing essays do not take it, as it is an essay based subject.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
I have taken both and I enjoy both equally. Geography is fun to learn but it takes a lot of revision. I personally find it a lot harder to revise for geography's you have to remember how all of the processes work etc. but I do think it's easier to get a higher grade. I prefer the content of history though and it is really interesting. I really think you need to look at the specification and see what you will be learning and decide which you will enjoy more.
Reply 13
Despite being a "science" person I found History really interesting. Can't speak for Geography, but from what I've heard of it it seems to be a bit boring, but less work.

Quick Reply

Latest