The Student Room Group

Who is better: Benteke or Lukaku?

Scroll to see replies

Of the two I'd take Ben Teccy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
I think it's pretty damn obvious to be honest...
That's because you're a Liverpool fan.

I think there's little difference and also that Giroud is better than Benteke.
Reply 63
Lukaku's finding form now, so it's difficult to approach this without seeing Benteke as a crock and Lukaku as the hot streak goalscorer.

12 months ago, that view would have been different. Form changes everything.

I do think there's little between them, but I'm convinced Benteke has the higher ceiling between the two. And, yes, I've thought that since before he was a Liverpool player.
Original post by Mackay
Lukaku's finding form now, so it's difficult to approach this without seeing Benteke as a crock and Lukaku as the hot streak goalscorer.

12 months ago, that view would have been different. Form changes everything.

I do think there's little between them, but I'm convinced Benteke has the higher ceiling between the two. And, yes, I've thought that since before he was a Liverpool player.

Lol Lukaku is 3 years younger than him and is on track to breaking Alan Shearers goalscoring record in the PL if he were to stay there.
Reply 65
Original post by jam277
Lol Lukaku is 3 years younger than him and is on track to breaking Alan Shearers goalscoring record in the PL if he were to stay there.

He has the talent to be a world-beater, given decent service, but he needs to work on sub-standard finishing and his sporadic purple patches need to become more regular.

I think Benteke is a more complete player, but he didn't do himself any favours with a poor performance in the FA Cup final during a game that he should have taken by the scruff of the neck and really worried Arsenal after a solid semi-final performance which swung the game for Sherwood at Wembley against us.
Original post by Mackay
He has the talent to be a world-beater, given decent service, but he needs to work on sub-standard finishing and his sporadic purple patches need to become more regular.

I think Benteke is a more complete player, but he didn't do himself any favours with a poor performance in the FA Cup final during a game that he should have taken by the scruff of the neck and really worried Arsenal after a solid semi-final performance which swung the game for Sherwood at Wembley against us.

Purple patches for a 22 year old striker playing in one of the most inconsistent teams in the division is standard. How many 22 year old strikers score at a rate better to Lukaku in one of the toughest leagues in the world? You are talking about the likes of Aguero, Torres, Henry etc who became the best/top 3 strikers in the world. Yeah Lukaku has issues in his game but he is 22 years old and gets you circa 15 league goals a season.

Where was Drogba, Lewandowski, Aubameyang, Benzema at the age of 22? They were all scoring at a similar rate to Lukaku currently is (i.e. 1 in 2) and/or were playing in weaker leagues that were easier to score in.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mackay

The whole team underperformed then. He was diabolical in the first leg vs Bradford when we lost 3-1. Missed a load of chances.

I think Benteke is better, but he's not our player any more, so I couldn't care less :cool:
Drogba wasn't even relevant age 22 he only had two good seasons in French football when he was in his mid 20s which got him his Chelsea move

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Original post by sr90
Drogba wasn't even relevant age 22 he only had two good seasons in French football when he was in his mid 20s which got him his Chelsea move

Posted from TSR Mobile

He seemed to come to everybody's attention after knocking us out of the UEFA Cup in 2003-04.
Original post by Mackay
He seemed to come to everybody's attention after knocking us out of the UEFA Cup in 2003-04.

He had one good season at Guingamp which got his move to Marseille and then one good season there which got his move to Chelsea
Lukaku is clearly better than benteke. This is why:
- he scores more goals
- he has a song comparing him to a tank
- he scores better goals
So bloody annoying how good Lukaku is
Reply 73
Original post by Wilfred Little
Both young, both Belgian of Congolese descent, both at clubs of a similar stature, both play the same position and both are arguably two of the BLACKEST strikers playing in the Premier League right now.

Who in your opinion is the better player of these two and why?

Scholes who?!
I used to think benteke but here is why i will say lukaku now. his work rate is much better and he seems to create chances himself by getting on his bike and running in behind, panicking the defenders into keeping him onside. benteke is a lazy **** who hardly ever runs in behind and wants the ball to feet all the time. he drifts out to the left and is pretty useless unless hes in the box. not a bad finisher by any means but far from a natrual finisher like bent or defoe, often requiring a number of chances to score. very limited player
Reply 75
Love these retrospective call out threads. So much fail.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
Original post by Dexa
Love these retrospective call out threads. So much fail.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Almost like the one that claims Coutinho > Cazorla.

Oh wait, he is...
Lukaku is better at the moment
Reply 78
Hard to make a case for this even being a debate anymore, really, which is a shame. That said, Benteke's goal to game ratio is still impressive at Liverpool, despite him being in and out of the side and clearly not featuring long-term in Klopp's plans.

What is clear is this: Benteke was worth 10 to 15 points for Aston Villa. Obviously, they lost Delph and Cleverley too, but Benteke's departure must have done nothing for the club's morale as a whole. He was their lynchpin.

I think it'll be intriguing how long Lukaku stays at Everton, too. You can't see it being that long before he itches for a move elsewhere, to be honest.
Lukaku.

Quick Reply

Latest