The Student Room Group

why do A-Level Students Look Down on BTEC's?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
Because cba, the question was a bit pointless and was more of a long rant than a question. Learn to be a bit more 'succinct'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So what if it was a rant? It got the point across and yet the question is still unanswered, funny that.
Original post by millie99101
So what if it was a rant? It got the point across and yet the question is still unanswered, funny that.

Look, the reason no one's answered the question is because you posed it in such a loaded way. It wasn't a general question, it was you being insecure about what others have said, no one's going to answer: 'Omg, you're so right, you've worked ÜBER hard to get to where you are - you go babes', because that'd just be an ego scratch.

If you want to take what others have said onboard, that's you, personally, I don't ask questions with the premise of me being the target of said question. You'd be better served ignoring much of the bants that's thrown on here (as it's ultimately just bants), than going on endless rants about your life.

There's my answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cnova
Right then, I'd like to add to this debate and provide some clarification on BTECs, especially toward their recent and future changes. First of all, some background. I'm a BTEC student studying IT and have previously done some in Engineering. I initially wanted to do A levels however due to my mature student status of 20 going on 21, I was told I would've had to pay a couple thousand pounds to do them, thus not being a suitable route for me. However, as part of my BTEC I'm required to do an A level along side it (absolute doss of a subject, however). I know many friends that went on to do A levels previously and I know people currently doing BTECs such as health and social care and hairdressing.

I've been told and have discerned from both specifications, anecdotal information gathered online from people's personal experiences as well as comparing assignments that the only BTECs that are rigorous in nature are (as mentioned previously by prince) IT, Engineering and Sciences. 'RonnieJ' claims that a D* student isn't the equivalent of an A* student; this is true in most cases. However, there are exceptions such as those studying the aforementioned BTECs and those that aren't interested in the subject they excel at and rather do something they find more interesting.

I myself as an example have done around 30,000 - 56,000 words per module, some of which have been seen by university lecturers from a summer university programme as well as one of my course lecturers who's spent the past three years at a top 25 CS institution and both have stated how well written and in fact better they are than a lot they have seen at undergraduate level. Note: (this wasn't me bragging, just simply an attest that BTEC students can be of the same quality as A level students).

I've had times where I have had several or more assignments due in one week and whenever I talked to my A level buddies, they have literally done a single piece of coursework. Essentially, this led to them doing next to nothing for the year and just cramming a month or two before exams. Most of them ended up with grades ranging from AAA - ABB (one got BBB).

Three lecturers and a previous BTEC IT student informed me that it's much better for preparing you for CS than A levels are as you'll have a grasp on pretty much everything already (if you've taken the relevant units like maths for IT practitioners, network security and programming, for example).

Furthermore, the arguments provided by certain A level students in this thread that purely base it on exam pressure, will no longer be able to use that as a reason as new BTEC specifications are coming in around 2016 - 2017, where all BTECS will have to undertake exams as well; this is in addition to the recent changes of those who started BTECS in September 2014 (such as myself) where the course's failings of allowing multiple assignment submissions, too detailed feedback and lecturers providing students with the answers have all been blacklisted.

Just saying never have I ever had 'multiple assignment submissions' If I had, it would be unfair yes and I would understand what you had to say.
I do a BTEC health and social care and have achieved all crieteria first time round.
The only SINGLE resubmission I have done is the very first assignment that I ever did...purely because I was unfamiliar with how BTEC works..
So are you telling me that I don't deserve those distinctions just because there is a possibility to tweak the work already submitted?
And just saying the mark scheme for BTEC is harsh, and if you miss out one tiny thing then you don't get the grade, when they say resubmit, they mean 'tweak it' literally add a sentence or two in. that's it.
Original post by Ryanx623
Just wondering why people seem to think A-Levels are superior?

I'm on a Level 3 Extended for EEE Engineering, backed up with a A-level in Maths, planning on going to University of Southampton for EEE...

Just to be clear, I have nothing against A-Levels.. What's your opinion on the whole A-Level > BTEC thing?

I don't think they're superior. There are multiple ways to becoming successful.

BTEC's are just as good. And it's what you do with your qualifications after that really counts.
I'm an IB student and I look down on A level students, especially those who complain about workload.
Original post by oniisanitstoobig
I'm an IB student and I look down on A level students, especially those who complain about workload.

LOOOOOOOL, the ****ting on food chain continues.

Inb4 a uni student craps on the IB.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol you can't be serious

:rofl:
Original post by loveire&song
Just my two cents on this.

I'm an A level student, at our local grammar school, studying maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. I'm predicted straight A*s and I've applied to study Physics at uni. My boyfriend is taking a B Tec level 3 extended diploma in Engineering at our local college. I have two other friends on the same course, one of whom is in his final year and predicted D*D*D*, and applying to the same universities as me.

My boyfriend is definitely at least as bright as me - I'd go with possibly more so, but he won't allow that :tongue: But anyway, we're of comparable intelligence, taking comparable subjects, so it's fair to compare how difficult we find them. There really isn't much in it - the difficulty is so similar. Throughout the year, obviously I get less coursework (although, I do get coursework! for example, for physics I've just had to write a 2000 word research resport and presentation, and I also did the EPQ last year which was ongoing coursework throughout the year) so I tend to have an easier time, but nearer exams, that switches and I'm under more pressure. Difficulty of subject content - pretty much identical.

I reckon it's just an elitest thing; people will do anything to feel better about themselves. I know it's easy for me to say, but just ignore it - people are dicks. You know that level 3 B Tecs are the exact equivalent of 3 A Levels - D*D*D* directly translates into A*A*A* - and universities know that too. You also know you're probably better qualified to go straight into a job or apprenticeship. Unfortunately, people are always going to be dicks. :frown:

I think we all need to get on with each other. A level students are definitely the biggest culprits here, but at the same time, the minority of you who are - please don't go round saying things like "A level students have no concept of the real world" or whatever too. We both do work experience, we both have part time jobs, we both do extra circular stuff. The only difference is how our work is assessed. Surely we shouldn't let that come between us?

thank you thank you thank you, the world needs more people like you, you're so fluent and i like it:h:
I certainly don't and never will. I did several BTECs for my GCSEs and got high grades because they were easy but I love coursework so it was understandable. I am doing two A Levels and one Cambridge Technical in Media as I wanted the practical experience as I want to study English at University and become a script writer. Those who say BTECs are easier are the ones who have never done them. Doing coursework all the time can be tiring and boring and not to mention hard as well. Plus A Levels and exams do not show full potential as you won't have consistent grades. BTECs in Law and Applied Science, you can't say those are for the less able surely? And A Levels aren't amazing compared to the IB. And now, BTECS are reforming with the introduction of exams. I even had to do one for my BTEC in Media and got a Distinction.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by stressedfordays
thank you thank you thank you, the world needs more people like you, you're so fluent and i like it:h:

No problem! Thank you for being one of the few people who seem to take a reasonable stance on this, and not the whole stupid "we're better" thing! x
Original post by Princepieman
Look, the reason no one's answered the question is because you posed it in such a loaded way. It wasn't a general question, it was you being insecure about what others have said, no one's going to answer: 'Omg, you're so right, you've worked ÜBER hard to get to where you are - you go babes', because that'd just be an ego scratch.

If you want to take what others have said onboard, that's you, personally, I don't ask questions with the premise of me being the target of said question. You'd be better served ignoring much of the bants that's thrown on here (as it's ultimately just bants), than going on endless rants about your life.

There's my answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why are you even in this conversation then if you think its 'for the bants'
The only thing I want to happen is for people to acknowledge that A levels are equal to BTEC
NOT BETTER, EQUAL!!!!
I don't understand why us BTEC students have to be looked down on all the time,
None of us go around saying 'oh look they're taking A levels, we're so lucky to be taking a BTEC, they're so much easier'.
The reason no-one says it... because it's not true and everyone has personal goals.
Why can't A level students just accept this?
The only reason I may be getting too heated (which I admit) it because we are still getting looked down upon like BTEC is the easy way out or something, which isn't true. It's not fair for you to think this way either.
No problem! Thank you for being one of the few people who seem to take a reasonable stance on this, and not the whole stupid "we're better" thing! x

Can I just say that I never said A level students have no experience in the real world.
What I meant is that most of the time, they are unsure about what career they want to take etc,
this is why people take BTEC, because they know exactly what career they want to go into, so start using their information in the real working world.
That is what I meant by it, and the fact that they have many various work placements such as myself, in a nursery, care home and hospital etc.
So what I meant was that we are more prepared in the real world,
I never said A level students have no experience. I just said BTEC students will have more, which is undoubtedly true.
Maybe not in every case, but more so than not.
Why is this directed at me??? All I've done is stick up for BTECs???

sorry, I think that one was just meant for people in general
Can I just say that I never said A level students have no experience in the real world.
What I meant is that most of the time, they are unsure about what career they want to take etc,
this is why people take BTEC, because they know exactly what career they want to go into, so start using their information in the real working world.
That is what I meant by it, and the fact that they have many various work placements such as myself, in a nursery, care home and hospital etc.
So what I meant was that we are more prepared in the real world,
I never said A level students have no experience. I just said BTEC students will have more, which is undoubtedly true.
Maybe not in every case, but more so than not.

Probably try directing this at someone who doesn't get that the two qualifications are equivalent - I do!

Mine wasn't directed at you either; although, now you are kind of doing the same thing people who take A levels and look down on BTECs do.

When A level people say "A levels are harder, BTECs are worth less" I'm guessing that mist make you feel pretty ****ty, because you know that's a generalisation and not true. It goes both ways. Saying things like A level students are unsure of what career to go into or whatever makes us feel ****ty. Every one of my friends who take A levels knew what they wanted to do after sixth form when they applied, just like my BTEC friends did too. A level students also do work experience placements too.

A levels aren't a "make your mind up later" qualification. Like BTECs, the careers / university courses you can go into later is entirely dependant on the subjects you take at A level. You make exactly the same choice.

In summary, everyone should just get along. Why can't we accept that some aspects of BTECs are harder, and some aspects of A levels are harder?
(edited 8 years ago)

ikr i was just scrolling looking for the perfect answer and you appeared, im soo glad haha.
Reply 756
I don't get why there is so much competition like people always need a reason to feel better about themselves, can't we just all be equal and A level students accept BTEC students???
Health and social care can lead you to many degrees thank you very much and prepares you well for university...

I agree somewhat. As I stated, some BTEC students purely choose to do what they enjoy rather than necessarily what they excel at, which leads to the misappropriation of student capability. As I clearly stated, I myself am doing a BTEC but those I know who are doing a BTEC in subjects such as health and social care as well as hairdressing have it extremely easy compared to my own. As I stated this is based on mostly anecdotal evidence garnered by myself over time, internet research and those I know studying the subjects.
Original post by cnova
I agree somewhat. As I stated, some BTEC students purely choose to do what they enjoy rather than necessarily what they excel at, which leads to the misappropriation of student capability. As I clearly stated, I myself am doing a BTEC but those I know who are doing a BTEC in subjects such as health and social care as well as hairdressing have it extremely easy compared to my own. As I stated this is based on mostly anecdotal evidence garnered by myself over time, internet research and those I know studying the subjects.

Okay I can't be bothered to debate this anymore so I accept what you're saying,
but u should try taking my health and social care course then!!
Probably try directing this at someone who doesn't get that the two qualifications are equivalent - I do!

Mine wasn't directed at you either; although, now you are kind of doing the same thing people who take A levels and look down on BTECs do.

When A level people say "A levels are harder, BTECs are worth less" I'm guessing that mist make you feel pretty ****ty, because you know that's a generalisation and not true. It goes both ways. Saying things like A level students are unsure of what career to go into or whatever makes us feel ****ty. Every one of my friends who take A levels knew what they wanted to do after sixth form when they applied, just like my BTEC friends did too. A level students also do work experience placements too.

A levels aren't a "make your mind up later" qualification. Like BTECs, the careers / university courses you can go into later is entirely dependant on the subjects you take at A level. You make exactly the same choice.

In summary, everyone should just get along. Why can't we accept that some aspects of BTECs are harder, and some aspects of A levels are harder?

Okay I'm going to agree with what you say, but not on the part where I was saying that A level students may be generally more unsure than BTEC students, because I was generalising, and sorry if it didn't come out that way but everyone is different and yes I believe al students should be equal!!! :smile:
To be fair, I did AS level and failed first year, retried in my second year and failed again (well, didn't get the results I was hoping for anyway) purely because of exams. All of my coursework was A grade material and I just crack under pressure in exams, so I converted to BTEC. You can guarantee yourself a place at university if you just put your mind to it in BTEC and keep up with the work and keep it consistent. A levels are so unpredictable because you never know whats going to be in that exam (obviously). But A level is so so subjective in my opinion, because you could learn about 2 things in such depth and know nothing about the rest. In BTEC I learnt so much more and I believe it's becoming increasingly popular too. Only disadvantage of BTEC is that Russell Groups aren't likely to take them on for whatever reason..

I take BTEC Business even though my AS grade wasn't all too bad, but the thought of doing two 40 marker questions in the A2 exam was just dire. You focus so much on what you need to write for the exam that you have no scope on anything else in Business. I learnt about economics, finance, politics and sociology in my BTEC as well as business itself and thats put me at a huge advantage when applying to uni!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending