The Student Room Group

Would you help a drunk person?

I was just thinking about this today because this weekend I saw this really drunk girl in the city. She was walking down the street crying, and no one except me stopped to help her. She didn't know where she was, so I have no idea what would've happened if I hadn't been there :/

I just found it shocking how no one stopped. I mean, most people that drink (including me) have been in a bad state at least once, so surely they would understand that. I always help drunk people because I can imagine myself in their positions.

So would you help an extremely drunk person get home, or would you just leave them?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Save.Me
...So would you help an extremely drunk person get home?...

Pfft,
They are the ones who drank to the point of confusion. They can deal with it.

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
If a girl is ****ed you should probably feel guilty if you don't at least call a taxi for her.
What do you mean by home? As in my home or their home? When I've encountered people like this they are usually too drunk to tell me where they live to order a taxi for them so it's useless anyways. Drunk women scare me so wouldn't offer them back to mine either.
Reply 4
Original post by TheGuyReturns
Pfft,
They are the ones who drank to the point of confusion. They can deal with it.

They may not have, though. What if they'd been spiked or something? You wouldn't know if you never spoke to then :/

Original post by LeftWingMoron
What do you mean by home? As in my home or their home? When I've encountered people like this they are usually too drunk to tell me where they live to order a taxi for them so it's useless anyways. Drunk women scare me so wouldn't offer them back to mine either.

So would you just leave someone who was drunk?
Original post by Save.Me
They may not have, though. What if they'd been spiked or something? You wouldn't know if you never spoke to then

I doubt they would know either.

I wouldn't stop and help. Drunk people are known to be violent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tom78
If a girl is ****ed you should probably feel guilty if you don't at least call a taxi for her.

This. I know it's their fault for getting so drunk but if the person is crying the middle of the street and needs help then I would call a taxi for them for sure. People are vulnerable in those situations.
Original post by DiddyDec
I doubt they would know either.

I wouldn't stop and help. Drunk people are known to be violent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And what if they genuinely just need help getting home?
Original post by queen-bee
And what if they genuinely just need help getting home?

They have legs, get walking. I wouldn't expect anyone to help me getting home if I were drunk. I am responsible for myself.

Treat others as you would have others treat you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They have legs, get walking. I wouldn't expect anyone to help me getting home if I were drunk. I am responsible for myself.

Treat others as you would have others treat you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nothing wrong with helping people when they're in need of help
Nah. I'd avoid them at all costs. They chose to be in that position so they can deal with the consequences.
Of course, I have many, many times in the past. What kind of absolute **** wouldn't? You'd have to be a complete piece of worthless **** to ignore someone in need of help.
Original post by cole-slaw
Of course, I have many, many times in the past. What kind of absolute **** wouldn't? You'd have to be a complete piece of worthless **** to ignore someone in need of help.

Do you help every homeless person you see?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you help every homeless person you see?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If they were in genuine and immediate danger, of course. What an absurd question.
Reply 14
My friend on his 21st birthday drank a dirty pint of pubes, semen (genuinely), beer, whisky, vodka, fanta fruit twist and spit. He was so hammered he didn't make it out. When I got in, I found him passed out on his bed. The room stank, but I thought hmm I'll sit here a while and look after him. After about 2 minutes of me arriving, he started throwing up but the vomit wasn't coming out. It was sort of exploding out. I realized he was choking on his own sick and immediately put him in the recovery position and tried to clear his airway. The sick stank so bad but I stayed up all morning (it was like 3am) making sure it didn't happen again. It was like that scene from Breaking Bad where that chick dies from heroin OD. I don't believe in fate, but if I wasn't there to look after him he could of died.

Always look after drunk people, no matter how inconvenient for you. You could save somebodies life.
If they were in genuine and immediate danger, of course. What an absurd question.

So you only help the ones in immediate danger not the ones just in danger.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So you only help the ones in immediate danger not the ones just in danger.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I can see that someone is in any form of danger at all, and that I have the capacity to help them, then of course I help. Obviously the more immediate the danger, the more immediate my response needs to be.

You really do ask some very odd questions, this is really stuff that a fully functioning adult should know.
Original post by JD1lla
My friend on his 21st birthday drank a dirty pint of pubes, semen (genuinely), beer, whisky, vodka, fanta fruit twist and spit. He was so hammered he didn't make it out. When I got in, I found him passed out on his bed. The room stank, but I thought hmm I'll sit here a while and look after him. After about 2 minutes of me arriving, he started throwing up but the vomit wasn't coming out. It was sort of exploding out. I realized he was choking on his own sick and immediately put him in the recovery position and tried to clear his airway. The sick stank so bad but I stayed up all morning (it was like 3am) making sure it didn't happen again. It was like that scene from Breaking Bad where that chick dies from heroin OD. I don't believe in fate, but if I wasn't there to look after him he could of died.

Always look after drunk people, no matter how inconvenient for you. You could save somebodies life.

Good work. I had to do the same several times at university. Its just part of the territory.
Reply 18
Good work. I had to do the same several times at university. Its just part of the territory.

Indeed, I've been saved myself. Swings and roundabouts.
Yeah. I almost did the other day but the woman disappeared. I have mini breakdowns in public if I'm going through a lot of **** and it pisses me off when people watch me like I'm some circus freak but no one actually cares to help or even just sit with me.

Just because they're drunk it doesn't mean they chose to be that way. You'd have to be beyond ignorant to think that. Life throws **** at people and some are able to deal with it while others can't. Those that can't find other ways of dealing with it and usually it's not a good way to deal with it, but when they're in that position and there's no one/nothing to help them then there isn't much they can do so they need all the help they can get.

Quick Reply

Latest