The Student Room Group

Can predicted grades make a uni reject me?

I am looking to apply for biological sciences at exeter for next year, and I'm predicted BBC in biology, maths and english. The average offer is AAB-ABB. I am pretty confident that I will get at least ABB.

I had the same problem with biology and my teachers last year. They didn't like my revision technique (I just read the book) so they predicted me a D despite my good work in class. I got an A last year, I think they know I'm likely to get an A this year but they won't predict me it. Will being predicted BBC mean a uni like exeter are likely to reject me even before I've got my grades back?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamb97
I am looking to apply for biological sciences at exeter for next year, and I'm predicted BBC in biology, maths and english. The average offer is AAB-ABB. I am pretty confident that I will get at least ABB.

I had the same problem with biology and my teachers last year. They didn't like my revision technique (I just read the book) so they predicted me a D despite my good work in class. I got an A last year, I think they know I'm likely to get an A this year but they won't predict me it. Will being predicted BBC mean a uni like exeter are likely to reject me even before I've got my grades back?

If you fail to meet the required grades, then a university is quite likely to reject you, yes. Your predicted grades are three grades under what they want.
Reply 2
Predicted grades are fairly accurate so if you get them you may be rejected however theyre only 70-80% accurate if you pull yourself togethor more, you can exceed the predicted ones but it all depends on you mate :wink:
Wait, you're predicted a D when you got an A last year???
Reply 4
Original post by ikhan94
Predicted grades are fairly accurate so if you get them you may be rejected however theyre only 70-80% accurate if you pull yourself togethor more, you can exceed the predicted ones but it all depends on you mate :wink:
I am not worried about not getting the grades as my teachers have always underpredicted me, I'm more worried that because they don't predict my grades correctly they're the reason I don't get into the uni I want
Reply 5
Original post by dixietrix
Yes, I actually had some of the highest UMS in my year, but I don't think that helps very much lol
Reply 6
Well, isnt the final decision time when you get your grades?
Original post by jamb97
I am not worried about not getting the grades as my teachers have always underpredicted me, I'm more worried that because they don't predict my grades correctly they're the reason I don't get into the uni I want

If the grades are not high enough to apply for the universities you want to go to, then factor in a gap year and apply after you get your results, which you are hoping will be high enough.
Original post by jamb97
Yes, I actually had some of the highest UMS in my year, but I don't think that helps very much lol

That is ridiculous. Take it up with someone higher up in your school, A at AS deserves an A prediction regardless of how you revise.
Reply 9
Original post by ikhan94
Well, isnt the final decision time when you get your grades?
I'm not 100% sure on how it works, but I think you can get a conditional or a non conditional offer. Conditionals are most common, so they'd say on the condition I get x grades I can do the course. I've heard they can say no even before you've got your grades, which doesn't make sense to me but I guess that's just how it is :/
to be honest if you are not predicted the grades required it is highly unlikely a university like Exeter will make you an offer and even if they do and you fall short by more than 1 grade you be rejected at results time
Original post by dixietrix

I think he was talking about last year :wink:
Original post by SeanFM
I think he was talking about last year :wink:

True. I just realised I misread the question :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
If you fail to meet the required grades, then a university is quite likely to reject you, yes. Your predicted grades are three grades under what they want.
What about if the requirement is BBB? I also plan to apply for Kent and Reading. Do you think they'd turn me down if I was predicted 1 grade below what they ask?
Original post by jamb97
What about if the requirement is BBB? I also plan to apply for Kent and Reading. Do you think they'd turn me down if I was predicted 1 grade below what they ask?

That very much depends on how many other applicants there are with better grades and how desperate they are to fill the places. If they don't think that you are up to it, then no. That is often why there are places in clearing - they haven't had enough people applying with good enough grades and they want to pick up people through clearing who have missed higher offers but have what they want. You can never assume that universities will drop their usual requirements. Some will, many won't. You have to look at it from the point of view of an admissions tutor: What have you got on your application to compensate for having below what they have set as the minimum requirements needed to succeed? You might be struggling from the word go.
Original post by jamb97

That is unlikely, especially when they see that you achieved better at AS.
Original post by jamb97

What were your actual AS grades? it would be helpful to give your UMS as well ir say whether a grade was high, medium or low.
Original post by jamb97

Seems a bit crazy they are predicting you a grade less than you got at AS...typically you are predicted a grade higher than you got at AS. Predicted grades will really affect your chances so if you honestly think you can achieve higher than what you are predicted then speak to your teachers after a lesson and tell them what grades you need to go to the uni you want. Don't think you can't make them change their minds - you probably can!!
In short, yes they can and likely will reject you based on your predicted grades if they are less than what they ask for, so putting an application forward with lower grades would be a waste of the limited number of applications that you are allowed to make.

You have two choices here:

1) Give the revision techniques a try: if you really do want to get what you want from these teachers, make a compromise agreement to give them what they want - quid pro quo. Go put it to them that if you can change soon enough, would they not be reasonable enough to reconsider the predicted grade they've given you. Adapt how you revise, learn new techniques that aid memory retention like making colourful flash cards of key information the syllabus expects you to know, or pnemonics. Don't just read, make lots of notes in class. Then condense those notes again and again until you can carry them around in pocket flash cards and test your knowledge & understanding whenever you have a spare minute waiting around for something. Nailing these techniques now will benefit you later when you're taking far more difficult exams, so why not start now.

2) Give up trying to boost your predicted grades so that you can apply for a range of universities with different grade requirements, and your favourite, Exeter. Instead just apply for those universities that you know you can get into with your current predicted grades. Then, if you score better or worse, well then that's exactly what the clearing period is for after your exam results.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ikhan94

It's really not that accurate - less than half of predicted grades turn out to be true. Most grades are overpredicted, with only a relatively small proportion underpredicted. http://gu.com/p/3jmp2?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Hangouts

Indeed, the most common scenario, statistically speaking, is for a student to get two grades below predictions eg ABB instead of AAA.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending