The Student Room Group

I want to go to uni, but don't feel ready to apply yet?

I'm currently studying my a-levels (A2), and I know that I want to go to uni, and I want to study psychology. But I don't feel ready to apply yet, and the generic advice to is apply for 2017 entry (deferring) instead of 2016.
The problem is I don't feel ready to apply at all, I don't feel that I know enough about university and I only have one uni so far that I could see myself going to. The deadline for my college's UCAS applications is the 27th November so the panic is really setting in.
I just want to know if there's anyone out there feeling the same? Or people who have done this?
Reply 1
I felt the exact same, I have had endless arguments with parents and cried and various other crappy situations but I am applying. Like you I don't know much about uni and my deadline is the 19th...I have found reading through chats on here has helped a lot and thinking about what uni can do for me, I even made a pros and cons list about going..If you need a chat about the stresses or anxiety around it then you can always send me a message privately and I hope this helped :smile:
Original post by e.wilkinson1998
I'm currently studying my a-levels (A2), and I know that I want to go to uni, and I want to study psychology. But I don't feel ready to apply yet, and the generic advice to is apply for 2017 entry (deferring) instead of 2016.
The problem is I don't feel ready to apply at all, I don't feel that I know enough about university and I only have one uni so far that I could see myself going to. The deadline for my college's UCAS applications is the 27th November so the panic is really setting in.
I just want to know if there's anyone out there feeling the same? Or people who have done this?

Hmm.. I'm not so sure that applying for deferred entry is what you want to do, as you'd still be making choices this year just to start in the academic year after next, when really you want to go to open days whenever they're around before making your choices next year and applying next year.

But yes, take all the time you need as it's an important decision - as a second year uni student I can see how important your choice is and it has to be right for you.
(edited 8 years ago)

Take a gap year. There's no point going to university and running up a huge debt unless you're sure that you want to go. You wouldn't just be wasting your time, but also your money. Your motivation to do well may also suffer if your lack of research results in you ending up on a course you don't like -- I don't think you'd want to end up with a poor degree classification and thousands of pounds of debt just because you didn't wait another year to think things through.
Reply 4

This was exactly me last year! There is abolutely no reason for you to go to uni if you don't feel ready yet. I spent so long convincing myself I had to defer/work out what I wanted to be and stressing out last year, before I realised that I should just take a gap year because I didn't know what I wanted yet. It doesn't mean you're not serious about uni, and you can use the time to grow up a bit, get to know about more than your little area and work out what you want to do. Also, if you think you can get good grades this year then it makes you feel so much more confident about applying when you do.
Although I took art last year, this is coming from someone who's applying for Medicine and Human Sciences (so pretty relevant to you) and none of the unis I've applied to have said anything negative about people taking a year out before starting. Have a chat with your parents, but ultimately it's your decision!
Why don't you apply for 2017 entry this time next year (whilst on a gap year)? That way you have the advantage of knowing your achieved grades before you apply so you can focus your research on those unis which you're likely to be able to get in to.
Reply 6
what did you get for AS and for what subjects if you dont mind me asknig and also whats the one uni u have considered
I hope everything goes North for you good luck
I studied Fine Art , English Literature, Psychology and Biology. And got As in art and english, a C in psychology and and E in biology. I'm resitting both biology exams and one psychology, and I'm targeted AAB for A2. The only university I have interest is in Cardiff so far
Original post by Synonym
what did you get for AS and for what subjects if you dont mind me asknig and also whats the one uni u have considered
I hope everything goes North for you good luck
Thank you for all of the replies! As a lot of you are saying the same sort of things I thought it would be easiest to reply in one message. This has reassured me so much, I don't feel as crazy as I have been feeling lately about all of this, so thank you all😊
Original post by llanya
I felt the exact same, I have had endless arguments with parents and cried and various other crappy situations but I am applying. Like you I don't know much about uni and my deadline is the 19th...I have found reading through chats on here has helped a lot and thinking about what uni can do for me, I even made a pros and cons list about going..If you need a chat about the stresses or anxiety around it then you can always send me a message privately and I hope this helped :smile:

I'm exactly the same! It's just reassuring to find people who are feeling the same as you. Are you thinking about applying for 2016 or 2017 then?
I studied Fine Art , English Literature, Psychology and Biology. And got As in art and english, a C in psychology and and E in biology. I'm resitting both biology exams and one psychology, and I'm targeted AAB for A2. The only university I have interest is in Cardiff so far

Im sure you'll do better than those targets :smile: and ps im also taking psychology AS this year do u have any good resources for it notes/sites etc ?
Reply 11
i am applying to 2016
I am still not 104% sure but i am applying now and looking at vaious other things like apprenticeships etc...
Reply 12
I'm exactly the same! It's just reassuring to find people who are feeling the same as you. Are you thinking about applying for 2016 or 2017 then?

i am applying for 2016
I know how reassuring it is, I am aslo applying for different things like apprenticeships because I am still not 104% sure about uni
Reply 13
Don't go if you don't feel ready. Uni is a big commitment and unless you feel ready and that you can do it only then apply. I went to uni despite not feeling ready or the fact I actually wanted to do the course (my parents are very strict and they pressured me to do it) and I just went bc it was the next step I had to take. I went to uni bc I felt like I had to not bc I wanted to. After two years of feeling **** and mental health deteriorating I couldn't continue anymore. Now after having a break for a year I finally mustered up courage to stand up to my parents and do what I want. I now know I'm ready and I know what I am going to do so I've applied and am set to go uni next year. So it's okay you don't need to pressure yourself and follow this imaginary cycle and rules society makes. Just make sure you feel like you can. In the mean time you can do work experience or apprenticeship try self study there's lots of online courses for free just do anything to keep you occupied and on track. Im sure they will help you feel ready. Good luck and it'll be okay.
(edited 8 years ago)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a few years out before going to University, or if you find something that you love in those few years then there is nothing wrong with not going to University at all.

I know a few people on my course who didn't start their degree until they were in their mid 20s and between them they'd done everything from working as a long haul truck driver, to being an AA mechanic, to starting and running a business, to serving in the Royal Marines, and they all had somewhere between 6 and 8 years between when they finished Sixth Form and when they started University.

If you feel like you need some time before University then take some time, take however long you need, explore the world, try new things, get a job, find what you love doing, and you never know, a few years down the line you might have a completely new passion, a new career that you want to pursue, and a much clearer picture of what you want to achieve either in or out of education.

Personally I wish I had the guts to follow the advice I've just given you and I honestly hate myself for not. I left school and jumped straight into University and ****ing hated it. I'd chosen a degree that I didn't really care about, but chose it simply because others had told me I'd be good at it, and I dropped out after 2 wasted years. Then jumped straight back in to another degree before I was ready to go back and now in my final year I'm really struggling because while it's something I find quite interesting it's not something I have any kind of passion for and so my motivation has completely gone, and I know that when I graduate I'm going to go down a road that is completely unrelated to my degree.

The idea that we have in this country that every person should go to University, and that you need to go as soon as you finish school, is complete and utter bull****. The vast, vast majority of kids have no idea what they want to do when they're 18, and so massive numbers of people go to University and do the wrong degree, or drop out because it wasn't right for them, and they end up going down a completely different route. In my opinion the best way to do things is to take a few years after school to actually figure out what you want from life before even contemplating going to University.
(edited 8 years ago)
I always used to find that making revision cards for each study helped for AS, because as long as you have the essay writing technique you can just transfer your knowledge of different studies
Original post by Synonym
Im sure you'll do better than those targets :smile: and ps im also taking psychology AS this year do u have any good resources for it notes/sites etc ?
That is the best thing I've read😭 I'm honestly feeling so reassured, and not as stressed about it anymore. It's so true that this country just revolves around making 18 year olds determine their entire lives at such a young age
Original post by mackemforever
There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a few years out before going to University, or if you find something that you love in those few years then there is nothing wrong with not going to University at all.

I know a few people on my course who didn't start their degree until they were in their mid 20s and between them they'd done everything from working as a long haul truck driver, to being an AA mechanic, to starting and running a business, to serving in the Royal Marines, and they all had somewhere between 6 and 8 years between when they finished Sixth Form and when they started University.

If you feel like you need some time before University then take some time, take however long you need, explore the world, try new things, get a job, find what you love doing, and you never know, a few years down the line you might have a completely new passion, a new career that you want to pursue, and a much clearer picture of what you want to achieve either in or out of education.

Personally I wish I had the guts to follow the advice I've just given you and I honestly hate myself for not. I left school and jumped straight into University and ****ing hated it. I'd chosen a degree that I didn't really care about, but chose it simply because others had told me I'd be good at it, and I dropped out after 2 wasted years. Then jumped straight back in to another degree before I was ready to go back and now in my final year I'm really struggling because while it's something I find quite interesting it's not something I have any kind of passion for and so my motivation has completely gone, and I know that when I graduate I'm going to go down a road that is completely unrelated to my degree.

The idea that we have in this country that every person should go to University, and that you need to go as soon as you finish school, is complete and utter bull****. The vast, vast majority of kids have no idea what they want to do when they're 18, and so massive numbers of people go to University and do the wrong degree, or drop out because it wasn't right for them, and they end up going down a completely different route. In my opinion the best way to do things is to take a few years after school to actually figure out what you want from life before even contemplating going to University.
That's how I feel, but I'm lucky in the sense that my parents are open to me doing whatever makes me happy. I don't want to end up in the position where I end up regretting what I choose to do
Original post by Kflo
Don't go if you don't feel ready. Uni is a big commitment and unless you feel ready and that you can do it only then apply. I went to uni despite not feeling ready or the fact I actually wanted to do the course (my parents are very strict and they pressured me to do it) and I just went bc it was the next step I had to take. I went to uni bc I felt like I had to not bc I wanted to. After two years of feeling **** and mental health deteriorating I couldn't continue anymore. Now after having a break for a year I finally mustered up courage to stand up to my parents and do what I want. I now know I'm ready and I know what I am going to do so I've applied and am set to go uni next year. So it's okay you don't need to pressure yourself and follow this imaginary cycle and rules society makes. Just make sure you feel like you can. In the mean time you can do work experience or apprenticeship try self study there's lots of online courses for free just do anything to keep you occupied and on track. Im sure they will help you feel ready. Good luck and it'll be okay.

Quick Reply

Latest