The Student Room Group

Squash or Rowing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by kka25
:five:

The one thing I'm being extra careful with squash is to avoid slamming myself into the wall after a speedy run! :colondollar:

Or getting whacked on the head by your oponent's racquet, or the ball!

(by the way, goggles may look dodgy but are advised...)
Original post by jneill
Indeed. But still, it's just going backwards on a seat...

Squash is much more fun :wink:

I would agree with you though that squash is more fun :biggrin: will have to decide.
Original post by GwBadger
Squash is a very physically demanding as a sport, not too sure about rowing as i haven't done it but i play squash at quite a high level where i live. It requires massive amounts of endurance, and i've had games last 3 hours most of which you are sprinting corner to corner returning shots. I would definitely recommend it to anyone as long as you have a friend of similar skill level to play it with. It's a fun game, and i'm not sure where the guy got the information that its bad for your knees, as squash was rated one of the healthiest sports to play because of its endurance. Its great for building stamina as well as cutting excess fat. However i can imagine that rowing would be better for building core muscle

Squash may be very demanding and close to the top I have no doubt.

However, rowing destroys people.

The end.

Original post by MathsAstronomy12
I would agree with you though that squash is more fun :biggrin: will have to decide.

You might be surprised at just how good rowing actually is, the bond between crewmates because of combined suffering makes the team element unmatched by anything.
(edited 8 years ago)
Squash for fun, but rowing will do more for your physique. Which is your preference?
Reply 24
As a former rower (who now plays squash recreationally), rowing will build you into a ridiculous athlete. You'll be extremely fit in it's most complete sense. You'll be able to run, cycle, erg (rowing machine), and lift pretty serious weight in the gym. Jack of all trades maybe, but your actual rowing will develop over time and the camaraderie is second to none. It surely has to be one of the most brutal sports. I was pretty short so couldn't get a good reach, but I added technique and power to the boat. If I was taller I would of been a bit more competitive and maybe stuck at it. The training was 7 - 10 times a week, at like 5:45am starts some days so I just couldn't handle it. Because of this, as somebody else said before, squash is infinitely more fun. Rowing is a tough sport to enjoy. It's extremely monotonous. Summer training where you're on the water is a lot more and the you do more sprint work (500m sprints and harder 2ks as opposed to a steady state 5k+) and practicing racing starts/racing in general is really enjoyable..and maybe...just maybe balances out the grueling winter training. Racing at proper regattas is really fun, it was basically going away for a weekend, doing the races (2k races are amazing) and then getting pissed. Girls that row are hot.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JD1lla
As a former rower (who now plays squash recreationally), rowing will build you into a ridiculous athlete. You'll be extremely fit in it's most complete sense. You'll be able to run, cycle, erg (rowing machine), and lift pretty serious weight in the gym. Jack of all trades maybe, but your actual rowing will develop over time and the camaraderie is second to none. It surely has to be one of the most brutal sports. I was pretty short so couldn't get a good reach, but I added technique and power to the boat. If I was taller I would of been a bit more competitive and maybe stuck at it. The training was 7 - 10 times a week, at like 5:45am starts some days so I just couldn't handle it. Because of this, as somebody else said before, squash is infinitely more fun. Rowing is a tough sport to enjoy. It's extremely monotonous. Summer training where you're on the water is a lot more and the you do more sprint work (500m sprints and harder 2ks as opposed to a steady state 5k+) and practicing racing starts/racing in general is really enjoyable..and maybe...just maybe balances out the grueling winter training. Racing at proper regattas is really fun, it was basically going away for a weekend, doing the races (2k races are amazing) and then getting pissed. Girls that row are hot.

Been rowing for just over a week now, did 2km in just under 7 mins (on a Concept 2, haven't been on the water just yet :frown: ). As you're a rower, was wondering how this time compares? Cheers for your advice by the way.
Reply 26
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
Been rowing for just over a week now, did 2km in just under 7 mins (on a Concept 2, haven't been on the water just yet :frown: ). As you're a rower, was wondering how this time compares? Cheers for your advice by the way.

Yeah it's a good score, keep it up!
Original post by TheFarmerLad
Was wondering which sport is better for cardio/conditioning? I'm aiming to increase my stamina, speed and cut excess fat whilst maintaining muscle mass. Thoughts?

As a rower, I have to say it is one of the best sport for cardio, warning though it can get extremely gruelling. I am only 15 and they make us do 8k runs before doing 2k flat out on the rowing machine, its not a sport for the faint hearted
Rowing

Quick Reply

Latest