The Student Room Group

What did people get in gcse mocks compared to real exams?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OliviaJH
Thankyou so much for your reply- wow those stats are inspiring! I just need to be positive after my mocks no matter how bad they go and keep going rather than giving up before it even begins because for me it can go either way! REALLY want to get rewarding grades because i know i can do it if i try

You certainly can! And also, if you need any help for AQA English Lit/Lang( especially Lord of the Flies, To Kill a Mockingbird, Moon on the Tides Anthology) , or OCR philosophy and ethics( if you do it) let me know!

It's mainly about preparation, examiner reports, and looking at sample essays that have done well. For the sciences and maths, just make sure you can do, and understand how to do all the past paper questions. You can get an A even by just going through the textbook. It gets easier as you go along...
Reply 61
Original post by Big Blue Machine
You certainly can! And also, if you need any help for AQA English Lit/Lang( especially Lord of the Flies, To Kill a Mockingbird, Moon on the Tides Anthology) , or OCR philosophy and ethics( if you do it) let me know!

It's mainly about preparation, examiner reports, and looking at sample essays that have done well. For the sciences and maths, just make sure you can do, and understand how to do all the past paper questions. You can get an A even by just going through the textbook. It gets easier as you go along...

Thankyou, thats really helpful:smile: and yes I do OCR philosophy and ephics, it would be really appreciated if you would ever help me!
Thankyou, thats really helpful:smile: and yes I do OCR philosophy and ephics, it would be really appreciated if you would ever help me!

I'll look for my notes.
So basically in my Year 11 mocks I hardly revised, put in a limited amount of effort and achieved mostly Bs with a few As and one A*. My Biology grade was 1 mark above the B boundary (ie. almost a C), and I'm taking it for A Level now. In my actual exams I worked so much harder and achieved 11 A*s in Year 11 (and I have a short course from Year 10 at A*). Just to give you an idea I achieved AAAB in my AS exams and 95% in Biology (bear in mind I got almost a C in my GCSE mock).
The moral of the story is they are by no means a reflection of your actual exams. Just ensure you prepare early and learn from your mock papers, so so important.
Just so you're aware, I'm not a super clever person who doesn't need to revise and naturally does well. I put in a lot of effort to achieve those grades but it shows you're not limited by innate ability.

Good luck and don't worry!
Reply 64
Original post by medapplicant2016
So basically in my Year 11 mocks I hardly revised, put in a limited amount of effort and achieved mostly Bs with a few As and one A*. My Biology grade was 1 mark above the B boundary (ie. almost a C), and I'm taking it for A Level now. In my actual exams I worked so much harder and achieved 11 A*s in Year 11 (and I have a short course from Year 10 at A*). Just to give you an idea I achieved AAAB in my AS exams and 95% in Biology (bear in mind I got almost a C in my GCSE mock).
The moral of the story is they are by no means a reflection of your actual exams. Just ensure you prepare early and learn from your mock papers, so so important.
Just so you're aware, I'm not a super clever person who doesn't need to revise and naturally does well. I put in a lot of effort to achieve those grades but it shows you're not limited by innate ability.

Good luck and don't worry!

WOW thats amazing! thankyou so much and well done! I want to take biology for A level aswell so it was a real blow today when i didn't even finish the paper in time:/ But if you managed to do it then i hopefully can too:smile:

Sorry I know this is irrelevant but can we just appreciate how amazing TKAM is. I miss it so much.
WOW thats amazing! thankyou so much and well done! I want to take biology for A level aswell so it was a real blow today when i didn't even finish the paper in time:/ But if you managed to do it then i hopefully can too:smile:

Just don't let your mock results stress you out, if you really want to do well you can. It takes effort, more than people might think, but if you're dedicated it's within your grasp. Prepare early, speak to your teachers in advance, and do lots and lots of past papers! Good luck :smile:
OKAY so I really want to know what other people got for their mocks GCSEs compared to their real ones in the summer, i feel really disheartened now because my first few haven't gone too well (im partway through). I didn't revise as much as i normally would because i had some other things going on and i am so so scared and worried because my target grades are high :frown:

I got 7A*s, 3As and 1C in my GCSE mocks yet came out with 1A*, 5As, 4Bs and 1C. When I got home I cried so much, I did well when it didn't matter and only now am I beginning to realise my results are okay.

It was honestly the sh*ttest day of my life getting my results, I wasn't expecting the results I got at all and I worked so, so, so hard over the two years. What made it worse was people around me who did sh*t all year and didn't put the work in got higher or the same grade as me in a particular subject.

With the 11 subjects I did - I was only truly happy with two of my grades...
Reply 68
Original post by jamestg
I got 7A*s, 3As and 1C in my GCSE mocks yet came out with 1A*, 5As, 4Bs and 1C. When I got home I cried so much, I did well when it didn't matter and only now am I beginning to realise my results are okay.

It was honestly the sh*ttest day of my life getting my results, I wasn't expecting the results I got at all and I worked so, so, so hard over the two years. What made it worse was people around me who did sh*t all year and didn't put the work in got higher or the same grade as me in a particular subject.

With the 11 subjects I did - I was only truly happy with two of my grades...

Ohh, I am so sorry :frown: i know exactly how that must have felt - I get that with a lot of things. Life is really NOT fair sometimes, could you not have taken resits of some of them? I feel so bad omg, but then alot of people would be VERY happy with those grades after trying hard and A levels/further qualifications are more important afterall. But its so unfair when that happens, I totally empathize.
OKAY so I really want to know what other people got for their mocks GCSEs compared to their real ones in the summer, i feel really disheartened now because my first few haven't gone too well (im partway through). I didn't revise as much as i normally would because i had some other things going on and i am so so scared and worried because my target grades are high :frown:

I did practically the same in my mock exams as I did in the real exams, except a few subjects where I did quite a lot better😬 I think it just depends on the amount of revision you do, and how well you know how to answer the questions, good luck!

For my mocks I got A*AAABBBBBCC

For my real thing I got A*A*AAAAAAAAB

Trust me. Mocks are not a reflection of your actual ability. You will likely revise much, much more for your actual exams and you've got another 6 months or so of learning. Also remember mocks are only testing your abilities on one of the papers (or maybe more - we only did one paper per subject even though in the real thing we had multiple papers) so if you do well in coursework that will bump your actual grade up
Now now. The schools do overhype mocks a lot, but you still should take them seriously. Think as mocks as a way to get extra revision. Personally i say screw having a revision timetable, as long as you revise for your mocks. The schools make them quite regular aswell which is helpful.
Mocks are exactly what they say, but it does not mean you should ignore the results. If you are wanting to get a*s and a's if you are getting C or even B you are at risk of not doing well. Its almost christmas now and exams are coming sooner and sooner so get stuck in, and take the mocks seriously! I am not advising you to spend hours a day revising on top of your homework, but I recommend when you know what dates your exams will be, start preparing a week or so before. The biggest tip in GCSE is it is all understanding. Especially in maths. Whenever you cannot answer a question, get help, and understand what you did wrong or missed. Your brain is clever like that... it remembers your past mistakes which mocks reveal and so the next time you see it, you know how to ace that problem! Understanding is especially key to science and maths, as you know the formulas, but do you know how to apply them correctly?
It is good to see you care about your results. You don't have to be a study nerd or something who does 3 hours revision a day extra, just keep on top of it.
Whenever you get stuck or lose marks in a question, find out why. That is key to success. Know what the examiner wants in a question, and know where you receive marks.
Reply 72
Don't worry, schools put way more pressure on you during your mocks to make sure you are ready. You do so many mocks that exams end up feeling simply more mocks. Usually, teachers say you should get at least one grade improvement from mock to exams:smile:
Reply 73
in the mocks I got C
in the real one I got A*
I was really silly and didn't take my mocks seriously which gave me results of c's d's e's and even u's, oops. For the real exams I realised that you need to revise so I got all a's and b's. However I do regret not taking my mocks seriously because I think if I had done well on them then I could have done even better on the real exams.
Mocks are only helpful if you take them seriously. If you dont revise then it is no way an accurate prediction of what you will get in the summer. For clowns who dont take.mocks seriously and are not naturally brilliant at it (i.e they got a C in their mock without revision) they literally wasted their time doing mocks.
Do your mocks to the best of your ability; it means you have no real excuse for getting questions wrong (you did revise), so the ones you did get wrong highlight an area of weakness which you can correct :smile:
Mocks: 6 A* 4A 2B
Real GCSEs: 11A* 1A
In my mocks I got 9A* 2A, and in my actual exams I got 10A* 1A.

The extra A* was in art though, so it wasn't revision that upped my grades so much as painting nonstop for a week :tongue:
In my mock exams I got 2A's 5C's, 2D's, 1E, because I didnt revise.

For my real exams I got 2A*, 4A's, 4B's, again with no revision.
In my mocks I got : AAAAAABBBB
Real exams: 9A*'s, A

For me, mocks were harder as it was probably my second time going over the syllabus, and the grade boundaries were very high. Don't be worried about mocks, they are only there to improve your overall performance and motivate you to put more work into areas you might have overlooked.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest