The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Medicine Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Funky_Giraffe
Does anyone know of unis who have already started to give out interview invites for medicine?

I know Leicester have...

I've got one from Birmingham and I know Cardiff are sending out a few aswell. Heard nothing from UCL and Southampton
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 41
Hi everyone!!

I applied for medicine at UCL as well along with Bristol, Oxford and Imperial.. I'm an international student so i'm not really hoping for the best especially with the tough BMAT schools but my parents were like the best or nothing especially since medicine is soo expensive for us foreigners in the UK :frown:

Anyways, I had a 41 on the IB (7,7,7,6 in my 4 HLs: bio, chem, econ, and math) and i have a good PS, and my BMAT was ok (i hope) so i'm at least hoping for interviews :smile:

i heard bristol is giving out interviews as well and i'm kinda freaked that i'm not even going to get one there!! :frown:
Original post by 16ckim
Hi everyone!!

I applied for medicine at UCL as well along with Bristol, Oxford and Imperial.. I'm an international student so i'm not really hoping for the best especially with the tough BMAT schools but my parents were like the best or nothing especially since medicine is soo expensive for us foreigners in the UK :frown:

Anyways, I had a 41 on the IB (7,7,7,6 in my 4 HLs: bio, chem, econ, and math) and i have a good PS, and my BMAT was ok (i hope) so i'm at least hoping for interviews :smile:

i heard bristol is giving out interviews as well and i'm kinda freaked that i'm not even going to get one there!! :frown:

Bristol has a system whereby they either interview you, put you on hold, or reject you. When either of those happens, they let you know that it's happened. So if you haven't heard anything, it probably means that they haven't read your application yet. :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by Hydeman
Bristol has a system whereby they either interview you, put you on hold, or reject you. When either of those happens, they let you know that it's happened. So if you haven't heard anything, it probably means that they haven't read your application yet. :smile:

oh ok thanks :smile: hopefully they won't reject me!! what happens when they put me on hold??
Original post by 16ckim
oh ok thanks :smile: hopefully they won't reject me!! what happens when they put me on hold??

It's sort of a limbo between being interviewed and rejected. You may end up being on hold all year and then finally get rejected in March/April. The point of it is to stop them losing applicants who they like who may have a chance of getting in. They're a really good school and their policy is always geared towards trying not to reject applicants for as long as possible so that if there are any interview spaces later on in the application cycle, you could potentially get an interview and get in that way. :smile:
Original post by chehjuan
I felt the same about the BMAT too. :frown:
And I also did question 2 and I think I may have written off at a tangent!

My stats:-
International applicant
GCSE equivalent (Malaysian SPM): 8A+, 3A
AS-level: AAA (Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics)
A-level predictions: A*A*A*a (Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, AS English)
BMAT: Awaiting results
Work experience: 5 days in St George's Hospital, London
Extracurricular: Tennis, Piano and Violin

Who's next? :smile:

Fellow Malaysian! :biggrin:
SPM (GCSE equiv): 9A+1A-
AS: - (joined an 18 months course where we did not finish all modules)
Predicted: 3A*1a (Bio, Chem, Maths, AS History)
BMAT: fingers crossed
Work experience: 5 days in an EAU unit in Grantham, 4 days shadowing two different doctors in Malaysia
Volunteering: Elderly ward at a hospital, I've only been doing it for a few months.
ECs: Police cadets, yearbook committee, piano, saxophone.
Original post by shinthong123
Fellow Malaysian! :biggrin:
SPM (GCSE equiv): 9A+1A-
AS: - (joined an 18 months course where we did not finish all modules)
Predicted: 3A*1a (Bio, Chem, Maths, AS History)
BMAT: fingers crossed
Work experience: 5 days in an EAU unit in Grantham, 4 days shadowing two different doctors in Malaysia
Volunteering: Elderly ward at a hospital, I've only been doing it for a few months.
ECs: Police cadets, yearbook committee, piano, saxophone.

Heya apa khabar! Where are you studying currently? And where else did you apply? We international students have it tough :frown:
Heya apa khabar! Where are you studying currently? And where else did you apply? We international students have it tough :frown:

In terms of fees, but at least you get 24 reserved places on UCL's course. xD
Original post by Hydeman
In terms of fees, but at least you get 24 reserved places on UCL's course. xD

24 vs 208 places for UK/EU thoughhhh :frown:
24 vs 208 places for UK/EU thoughhhh :frown:

298* for UK/EU. :smile: There's a total of 322 in most years, with 24 of those being reserved for internationals.

Do you know what the numbers of applicants are like? I can't imagine too many people would apply to study medicine in the UK given the extortionate upfront fees. I mean, if there are only 100 international applicants, those are better odds (~4:1) than the odds for international applicants (~8:1). However, I'm speculating -- the actual numbers of international applicants might be higher.

And these ratios are probably worse than the actual ratios because they'll tend to over-offer just in case people don't firm them or miss their grades on results day, so the number of offers will be greater than 322 anyway. I hope that's some consolation. :smile:

Currently studying in the town of Cambridge! I applied to Cambridge, Newcastle and Edinburgh as well! And you?
Original post by shinthong123
Currently studying in the town of Cambridge! I applied to Cambridge, Newcastle and Edinburgh as well! And you?

Wow! So you shifted to Cambridge after SPM? I'm in a boarding school called Concord College. We have loads of Malaysians and Singaporeans here so homesickness is not that much of an issue. I applied to UCL, Barts, King's and Sheffield. 😁
Original post by MGM
Has anyone been asked to provide more details of their work experience?

yes i have
Reply 53
Hey guys, please have a vote in the BMAT poll above and let us know how you found it!
Reply 54
Original post by Hydeman
298* for UK/EU. :smile: There's a total of 322 in most years, with 24 of those being reserved for internationals.

Do you know what the numbers of applicants are like? I can't imagine too many people would apply to study medicine in the UK given the extortionate upfront fees. I mean, if there are only 100 international applicants, those are better odds (~4:1) than the odds for international applicants (~8:1). However, I'm speculating -- the actual numbers of international applicants might be higher.

And these ratios are probably worse than the actual ratios because they'll tend to over-offer just in case people don't firm them or miss their grades on results day, so the number of offers will be greater than 322 anyway. I hope that's some consolation. :smile:

I actually think that quite a lot of people do cuz in all the forums I've been in there have been a lot of international kids. Also, I hear the unis look for higher stats and better PSs from international students cuz they pick such a small number. For example last year, one of my UK friends got into imperial when she had an IB score below the requirement line and my other international friend didn't when she had a 43 IB predicted. I think there is a certain more pressure and difficulty going in as a international kid, especially for the more selective schools. :frown: which probably means that i am screweddd
Did anyone get an email asking them to provide evidence of their work experience?
Original post by blxckatoro
Did anyone get an email asking them to provide evidence of their work experience?

Yep, just now
Reply 57
crap if they dont ask does it mean we are less likely to be interviewed??
Original post by 16ckim
crap if they dont ask does it mean we are less likely to be interviewed??

Don't think so, maybe you'll just get one later or something
Reply 59
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Yep, just now

What did the e-mail say? Do they want you to send in references or did it just ask for a list of your work experience placements?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending