The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

London and England in general, is so so overrated. Like seriously though just because we have Harrods, Bpalace, a few cathedrals and that, whats the big deal - tbh only tourists actually care about them.

best place i've been to in Europe would be Aiya Napa or Frankfurt.. :u:
Original post by OllieMc
Move out

I did actually get a job offer from a French company but turned it down as I had already accepted another one. I could probably move after getting another job but I'm not sure if I should get a degree yet. (in my early 20s, only have A levels). However that is 3 more years in the UK

A degree in another country costs a lot so that's not feasible
i hate living in UK
not becuse i hate UK its coz my relatives doesnt live here and i cannot celebrate my own traditional festivals like eid and its more boring for me
Original post by cookiemunch
London and England in general, is so so overrated. Like seriously though just because we have Harrods, Bpalace, a few cathedrals and that, whats the big deal - tbh only tourists actually care about them.

best place i've been to in Europe would be Aiya Napa or Frankfurt.. :u:

I think people like the UK for its tradition but it gets shoved down your throat so much :lol: Like if you don't like the beatles/the Queen/GBBO etc theres something wrong with you.

Where would you move? There? :biggrin:
Original post by fatima1998
i hate living in UK
not becuse i hate UK its coz my relatives doesnt live here and i cannot celebrate my own traditional festivals like eid and its more boring for me

Thats bad :frown: Could your family celebrate it with people at the mosque though? Like that's what my Muslim Pakistani friends used to do as most of their family was back home
Reply 25
I don't live in the UK, I live in London.

I'll have to go to the UK someday.
Reply 26
First of, I am foreign. In the sense that I am a non-British person and I would have loved to be one, but I do live in Britain.

Whether you like living in Britain or not is a matter of your own perspective. For example, when I first came to England I found that the small houses and the generally dark green environment, even in cities as big as say Brum, were extremely picturesque and quaint. The weather, well, all countries have bad weather from time to time. And here is no exception. I personally find the horrible weather to be a myth, because especially during the Spring or Summer the weather is so much better, and it gets quite sunny too. It is not depressing to me as others make it. Plus, lots of people like rainy and melancholy weather in the first place.

Ironically, the British demeanour (the 'less friendly' demeanour, if that is even true about British people) genuinely attracts me, it gives me the impression that you guys mean business, and that it takes more than just a pat on the back to trust and build a solid relationship with others. Similarly, I like Britain's history, and heritage.

Since I am essentially a third-party person, I merely wanna highlight the fact that whether you like living in a country or not is shaped by your complete perception of it. I like living in Britain because of my personal understanding of the spirit of its people and its history, along with its 'bad' weather and 'dull' buildings.
No, I thank my lucky stars every day that I'm receiving a proper education that will actually get me a nationally respected degree. My parents weren't so lucky back in our home country and they sacrificed so much for us to move here so it won't happen to me and my siblings. I would like to raise my future children here :smile:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kx5
First of, I am foreign. In the sense that I am a non-British person and I would have loved to be one, but I do live in Britain.

Whether you like living in Britain or not is a matter of your own perspective. For example, when I first came to England I found that the small houses and the generally dark green environment, even in cities as big as say Brum, were extremely picturesque and quaint. The weather, well, all countries have bad weather from time to time. And here is no exception. I personally find the horrible weather to be a myth, because especially during the Spring or Summer the weather is so much better, and it gets quite sunny too. It is not depressing to me as others make it. Plus, lots of people like rainy and melancholy weather in the first place.

Ironically, the British demeanour (the 'less friendly' demeanour, if that is even true about British people) genuinely attracts me, it gives me the impression that you guys mean business, and that it takes more than just a pat on the back to trust and build a solid relationship with others. Similarly, I like Britain's history, and heritage.

Since I am essentially a third-party person, I merely wanna highlight the fact that whether you like living in a country or not is shaped by your complete perception of it. I like living in Britain because of my personal understanding of the spirit of its people and its history, along with its 'bad' weather and 'dull' buildings.

Where are you from? :smile: and @DedicatedWizard

we are less friendly in this country I have travelled a lot
(edited 8 years ago)
At least I am not the only person who is thinking like this. I
have always found the people in this country to be unfriendly every thing is depressing
the News is depressing people are not cheery and generally not so open.

People are just soooo serious and reserved
(edited 8 years ago)
RE: British weather, I don't find the weather that bad and it doesn't rain anywhere NEAR as often as people overstate. I get so irritated when people complain "IT'S RAINED FOREVERR" despite it having been sunny for the past few weeks jfc.

Though I do agree, I don't particularly like Britain. It's certainly not exactly a bad country in contrast to others, but I do agree we have a habit of endlessly whining + complaining without actually doing anything... at least the French get up and strike eh :tongue:
Original post by kx5

I couldn't agree with you more :smile:
Original post by Fat Rudeboi
Where are you from? :smile: and @DedicatedWizard

we are less friendly in this country I have travelled a lot

Sri Lanka :smile:

I remember one time where there was a massive crowd at a train station and I didn't realise there was a queue for one of the doors because it was THAT packed so I was at the front and this woman politely asked me to go to the back of the queue. I caught on and apologized, it was so British haha but the only thing that ruined it was when this other woman started loudly saying, '...and she jumped at the front of the q and I was like oi!' That was the only part I heard. I got kinda pissed, it was a honest mistake
-__-
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by _icecream
At least I am not the only person who is thinking like this. I
have always found the people in this country to be unfriendly every thing is depressing
the News is depressing people are not cheery and generally not so open.

People are just soooo serious and reserved

Yeah it's a very negative culture. Also even if you're halfway positive people try to bring you down
I think people like the UK for its tradition but it gets shoved down your throat so much :lol: Like if you don't like the beatles/the Queen/GBBO etc theres something wrong with you.

Where would you move? There? :biggrin:

yeah, true

Lol, yeah in my dreams i'd move there, Aiya Napa is more of a resort, but i'd like to move to Cyprus itself, nice country and pleasant people, been there twice on holiday and it's simple, really.

but no, not Frankfurt, its nice as a country for sightseeing, but being a resident there would be the same as Britain, except the values would be different.
Original post by Inexorably
RE: British weather, I don't find the weather that bad and it doesn't rain anywhere NEAR as often as people overstate. I get so irritated when people complain "IT'S RAINED FOREVERR" despite it having been sunny for the past few weeks jfc.

Though I do agree, I don't particularly like Britain. It's certainly not exactly a bad country in contrast to others, but I do agree we have a habit of endlessly whining + complaining without actually doing anything... at least the French get up and strike eh :tongue:

I wasn't complaining about the weather i like it :colondollar:

This. People are moany (yes I know I'm moaning now) and if you try to do anything its seen as weird :lol:
Thats bad :frown: Could your family celebrate it with people at the mosque though? Like that's what my Muslim Pakistani friends used to do as most of their family was back home

Eid, ramadan is like everything to me and thats how i feel happy and my cousins and relatives make Eid and the excitement of the Ramadan the best... start buying groceries for ramadan before a week and then adan which is missing here... and then taraveeh (dunno if i am spelling this right) its when at the end of the ramadan when its 10 left, u wake up for the whole night and pray loved that!!!
rather than me and my cousins pray we all buy snacks from the shop and have a small party in the mosque and then join to the prayer for some time hahaha that was fun time :biggrin:
also when the ramadan come to the end we start getting panick of what we gonna wear... i haven't got my jewellery yet blah blah
and we also have a competition especially girls- who is gonna look nice, n we tend to hide our dresses and we show everyone on eid day... also we couldn't sleep on eid eve coz we usually spend our night drawing henna patterns... n then on eid day we decide how we gonna spend our money on things and many silly things like that MISSED THOSE DAYS
whereas in here... get up, have a shower, dress up, wishing eid, then sit on the sofa or do whatever just like a normal day
i dunno my dad and my bro do go to mosque and pray eid prayer and come back and spend like a normal obviuosly everyone like to celebrate with their children and family so y would they spend with us
The UK is objectively speaking, one of the best places to live in the world. Most people in the world would sell their grandmother to live here. There is a reason immigrants flock here. I can assure you OP that this is very much a case of the grass is greener on the other side on your part. Everyone loves to moan about the problems of the wealthy, first world country they live in.
Original post by fatima1998
Eid, ramadan is like everything to me and thats how i feel happy and my cousins and relatives make Eid and the excitement of the Ramadan the best... start buying groceries for ramadan before a week and then adan which is missing here... and then taraveeh (dunno if i am spelling this right) its when at the end of the ramadan when its 10 left, u wake up for the whole night and pray loved that!!!
rather than me and my cousins pray we all buy snacks from the shop and have a small party in the mosque and then join to the prayer for some time hahaha that was fun time :biggrin:
also when the ramadan come to the end we start getting panick of what we gonna wear... i haven't got my jewellery yet blah blah
and we also have a competition especially girls- who is gonna look nice, n we tend to hide our dresses and we show everyone on eid day... also we couldn't sleep on eid eve coz we usually spend our night drawing henna patterns... n then on eid day we decide how we gonna spend our money on things and many silly things like that MISSED THOSE DAYS
whereas in here... get up, have a shower, dress up, wishing eid, then sit on the sofa or do whatever just like a normal day
i dunno my dad and my bro do go to mosque and pray eid prayer and come back and spend like a normal obviuosly everyone like to celebrate with their children and family so y would they spend with us

That sounds great, wish Christmas was more like that!! :biggrin:

Can't women go to the mosque if you don't mind asking? I know at most mosques my Muslim friends have been to they go to the Eid prayer (obviously it is separate for women and men...) Afterwards go to a theme park with family instead of staying at home maybe? My Pakistani friends used to go to London zoo every year
I wasn't complaining about the weather i like it :colondollar:

This. People are moany (yes I know I'm moaning now) and if you try to do anything its seen as weird :lol:

The weather was a general comment aimed at the entire thread, as I'd seen some people complaining about it :tongue:

https://youtu.be/A0q9hn8hebw?t=3m35s

3:35 - 4:05 sums up a lot of the British accurately :tongue:

Latest