The Student Room Group

Travelling alone

Hey,

So, I've been dead set on travelling the world since I can remember. My only issue is that now the time has come to do it I have no-one to do it with which makes me very nervous.

If there are any other lone travellers out there, what has your experience been like? I'm worried I'll get lonely and consequently not enjoy my experience as much.
I am in the same boat! I wanted to travel by train around Europe, but I am terrified of doing it alone. My biggest worry is safety. I am not afraid of just throwing myself out there and experiencing new things, but reading up online I found mixed reviews about travelling alone as a woman, my mind is teared in half

:boing:
Reply 2
From my experience, you won't be alone while travelling! I was travelling alone many times but everytime I met at least one person like me, we became friends and then travelled together :smile: No worries, just be positive!
travelling solo is the best kind! it means you can do whatever YOU want, without having to compromise. You don't have to be alone whilst travelling, staying in hostels is the best kind of way to meet other travellers and it becomes so easy to make friends as everyone shares the same passion for travel. Depending on where you go will make a slight difference on how easy it'll be to meet people. Europe and SE Asia are the most popular destinations for solo travellers and you're bound to meet people there. Whereas slightly less explored countries (ME, Africa??) you might find it a bit trickier to meet people.

If you're not ready for complete solo travel you could always try group tours?
Original post by Ethereal Consort
I am in the same boat! I wanted to travel by train around Europe, but I am terrified of doing it alone. My biggest worry is safety. I am not afraid of just throwing myself out there and experiencing new things, but reading up online I found mixed reviews about travelling alone as a woman, my mind is teared in half

:boing:

travelling Europe as a woman on your own won't be that different than going out alone in your home country! Europe is very safe and just use the same precautions that you would every day. Don't walk around unlit areas alone at night, don't stray off the beaten path, research dodgy areas in each city you visit so you know where to avoid. You'll have an amazing time!
Original post by *Incognito
Hey,

So, I've been dead set on travelling the world since I can remember. My only issue is that now the time has come to do it I have no-one to do it with which makes me very nervous.

If there are any other lone travellers out there, what has your experience been like? I'm worried I'll get lonely and consequently not enjoy my experience as much.

Take meeeeeee
Reply 6
Original post by Use Err Name
Take meeeeeee

Got Twitter or Facebook? Haha!
Haven't you ever considered asking me along? I thought that was an obvious thing to do :u:

There are definitely pros and cons of travelling alone. I've travelled to many crazy places alone. Sometimes I felt glad I had all the freedom to do what I wanted at my own time, and at other times I wished I had someone to spend those unique moments with
So many people who travel the world alone; Unless they are in a relationship I am usually surprised to meet couples or groups of people travelling.
coming from someone whos done it, travelling can be intensely lonely. i'd recommened doing workaway or helpx so youre guaranteed to meet people even just in increments- look them up!
I will be traveling alone to the Uk for the first time this winter and I wanted to know what is the best way to get around? I will be attempting to visit several different Uni's while I'm there and they are all pretty far apart. I won't have a car either so it will have to be by bus and train. Any advice on how to plan for this? I would like to know now before I get over there and have to flounder about.

Thank you!
I have a friend who literally travels EVERYWHERE to hike alone, from Peru, to Morroco, to Scotland.... But they usually go for treks in large groups, so you wont usually be alone.
Original post by ebrittia
I will be traveling alone to the Uk for the first time this winter and I wanted to know what is the best way to get around? I will be attempting to visit several different Uni's while I'm there and they are all pretty far apart. I won't have a car either so it will have to be by bus and train. Any advice on how to plan for this? I would like to know now before I get over there and have to flounder about.

Thank you!

Train by far but it will be very expensive. If you want to get into the South from the midlands or north then Reading train station will make it very easy to travel(it has direct trains to Oxford, Bristol, London in terms of major cities in the UK)
Original post by Will98765
Train by far but it will be very expensive. If you want to get into the South from the midlands or north then Reading train station will make it very easy to travel(it has direct trains to Oxford, Bristol, London in terms of major cities in the UK)

I will most likely be traveling from Lancaster University (area) to Hull, Portsmouth, York, and Stirling Universities. I will only be picking the ones that I get into to go an visit, however, I will still only have about 4 days to visit those 3. I'm having trouble finding routes that don't take 10 hours and etc.
Original post by ebrittia
I will most likely be traveling from Lancaster University (area) to Hull, Portsmouth, York, and Stirling Universities. I will only be picking the ones that I get into to go an visit, however, I will still only have about 4 days to visit those 3. I'm having trouble finding routes that don't take 10 hours and etc.

You need more days to visit them and look the the universities properly. The problem is that they're not major cities so it'll take you longer the it would to visit Oxford for example
Original post by Will98765
You need more days to visit them and look the the universities properly. The problem is that they're not major cities so it'll take you longer the it would to visit Oxford for example

I wish I had more time but unfortunately I'll still be in class at that time and all I can take away is one week. Plus the travel expenses are already kinda high.

Quick Reply

Latest