The Student Room Group

Alevel worries (class size)

Hi. Just curious to see the smallest class sizes people are in and in what subjects. What is it like being in very small class sizes. This worries me because im worried that I may end up on my own in a class.Thanks 😀😀😀

Scroll to see replies

I'm taking English Lit A-level at one of the UTCs and I'm the only one in my class. Don't worry--it's great fun and the free 1-to-1 tuition is helpful.
Obviously there are pros and cons - you get more targeted, personalised teaching however it limits discussions and hearing other student's opinions and ideas can challenge and enrich your own. The more popular a subject, the bigger the class size - the sciences and maths are always popular whereas (in my experience) things like languages are much less so. If it's just you your school may not offer the subject?
Original post by hw1221
Hi. Just curious to see the smallest class sizes people are in and in what subjects. What is it like being in very small class sizes. This worries me because im worried that I may end up on my own in a class.Thanks 😀😀😀

In my history class there are 5 people, 6 in politics and I have one-to-one tuition in economics, small class sizes are fine.
Reply 4
Original post by Buxtonwater
In my history class there are 5 people, 6 in politics and I have one-to-one tuition in economics, small class sizes are fine.

I was just worried it would be awkward to try and maintain a conversation with the teacher. Also how are lessons taught 1 to 1? Is it a powerpoint or do you sit with the teacher?
I have fairly big classes for Economics and Computing(around 16) and about 7 for business studies, I hardly see the difference tbh
My biggest class is 8, smallest is 4. I have some friends where it is 1 to 1 though.
Reply 7
Original post by Buxtonwater

What exactly do you do in the lessons and how are they structured? Eg powerpoints Thanks
Reply 8
Think it's going to depend on you as an individual, personally I prefer smaller classes (my German one = 9 people and it's my favourite class) as it's easier to get close to people and means the entire class don't get distracted so easily as with a big one.
Original post by hw1221
I was just worried it would be awkward to try and maintain a conversation with the teacher. Also how are lessons taught 1 to 1? Is it a powerpoint or do you sit with the teacher?

Sit with the teacher, usually have the textbook out and we'll learn the course then we'll do lots of essay technique and planning. Maintaining a conversation will be easy because your teacher will be teaching you the course, not sitting there in silence.
For AS Physics, Biology and Chemistry there was 25+ students in each of my classes.
For my further maths class there was 10 - the smaller class made it better because it meant we could progress with the course quicker than we could otherwise. And it allows more personalised help.
My biggest class is 18 and my smallest is 5. I do quite like a small class size, but sometimes the larger classes are easier to not be called upon often.
Small classes are great

It is really good preparation for exams and further study as you cannot coast, rely on anyone else and you have to think for yourself while always having an answer. To begin with it will be difficult, but towards the end of the year you'll be better. You also get through things at the correct pace for you, and your learning will be much more focussed.
I was in a class of two for English Lit, it was great :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
I was in a class of two for English Lit, it was great :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

lucky :sad:
smaller classes > big ones

my smallest class is 7 for PD, my biology class is big tho as they had to merge the classes due to funding :frown:
Original post by hw1221

Being the only one in a class is like the best thing, your relationship with your teacher will be very informal, and it's like free one to one, which will definitely help your grade.
Smallest class is 7, and biggest class is 13. I would prefer smaller classes but oh well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are 2 of us in my French class and it's good because we get a lot of individual attention. Also, speaking is less nerve-racking.
Reply 18
Original post by hw1221

The smaller the class size the bettwe
My smallest class is 16! Then two full classes :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest