The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

2016 Durham University hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by owenj4
Thank you! I sent mine off Thursday October 22nd and they sent me a confirmation on the following Tuesday. Good luck with your application :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks :smile: I sent mine off one day before that. Gives me hope!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by At114
How do people get offers for AAB when the courses requirements are AAA or higher? Just curious

I got an ABB offer for economics (normally A*AA) thanks to a summer school. Some people have managed BBB offers for AAA subjects, though this is rare for anyone not part of a summer school.
Reply 702
Original post by Mr.Samba
I got an ABB offer for economics (normally A*AA) thanks to a summer school. Some people have managed BBB offers for AAA subjects, though this is rare for anyone not part of a summer school.

Wow that's really good, well done :smile:
How come being part of a summer school lowers your offer?
I want to do literature which is A*AA and by targets are exactly that, i just thought Durham didn't really lower their offers since they could afford not to since so many apply. idk lol :smile:
Original post by english23
I got an offer from them for English today! After they'd just sent me an email saying that they were going to wait until January so I'm so confused.... But it's my one of my top choices so v. happy!

Congratulations! Are you a UK student?
Original post by Nandini98
Nice!
If you don't mind me asking, what were your predicted grades?

Oh and quick question about Business, how are you finding the CUEGIS concepts in IB business?

Predicted: 41/45

The CUEGIS essays are AWFUL. Every business student in my school seems to find it very difficult... What about you?
Original post by iallhalocin
Predicted: 41/45

The CUEGIS essays are AWFUL. Every business student in my school seems to find it very difficult... What about you?

Wow!!! 41? That's amazing! Haha I feel stupid now hahah...
It's really annoying for me that all my HL teachers don't predict ANY 7's. Like no on in my entire grade got 7s for those subjects.... /:
But the CUEGIS essays are quite annoying frankly... What is quite worrying is that the concepts are okay, but if they ask us to relate it to a particular topic (i.e, organisational objectives) it's really hard to find that specific information about one particular business!
The highest I've ever got on the essay is like 15/20...
I suppose that this new syllabus may result in the grade boundaries to become lower... As it is the current ones aren't too high..
Also, is it just me or do you find the time for the business paper is too short? I can never end up fully completing the paper! Its the same problem with others in my class!
Original post by Nandini98
Wow!!! 41? That's amazing! Haha I feel stupid now hahah...
It's really annoying for me that all my HL teachers don't predict ANY 7's. Like no on in my entire grade got 7s for those subjects.... /:
But the CUEGIS essays are quite annoying frankly... What is quite worrying is that the concepts are okay, but if they ask us to relate it to a particular topic (i.e, organisational objectives) it's really hard to find that specific information about one particular business!
The highest I've ever got on the essay is like 15/20...
I suppose that this new syllabus may result in the grade boundaries to become lower... As it is the current ones aren't too high..
Also, is it just me or do you find the time for the business paper is too short? I can never end up fully completing the paper! Its the same problem with others in my class!

Yeah I wish we could have more time... 2 minutes per mark I think? Hopefully the grade boundaries will be lower...
Is anyone else applying for Combined Honours in Social Sciences or Sociology???
Original post by TrotskyiteRebel
:frown: even I haven't heard. I believe since English is probs their most popular course, we arent going to hear back until at least January.

It's going to be a long wait... :frown:
Original post by english23
I got an offer from them for English today! After they'd just sent me an email saying that they were going to wait until January so I'm so confused.... But it's my one of my top choices so v. happy!

Congratulations!!! You're so lucky! It's my top choice after Oxford so I really hope I get an offer. If you don't mind me asking, what offer have they given you and which other unis have you applied to?
Congrats again and good luck with the rest of your application :smile: x
Original post by owenj4
Got an offer for Politics a few hours ago. Durham will definitely be my firm so I'm ecstatic 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats, that's amazing!! I've got a friend who also applied for Politics but he hasn't heard back from Durham yet. Are you an A-level or IB applicant?
They obviously haven't made a decision yet. Otherwise you'd have heard back from them.
Original post by jackmc100
Well done. What were your UMS marks in each of your modules??

Nothing to really brag about, 84 C1, 79 C2, 85 S1, 100 M1, 92 D1, 88 D2 and 57 FP1😂😂 I'm more an applied maths person.
GCSE's: A* A* A* A* A* A* A* A* A A A A
AS: English, History, Art and French
A2: English, History and Art
No. I don't think so. I mean they might consider applications on one to one basis and they haven't even came across yours. I suppose they do quickly reject people with 3 C's at A level or something but it's nothing to be worried about. If anything it could be a good aign. Maybe they're waiting to see more applications to compare yours with them to see who to select.
Anyone got an offer for English and History?
gcse's: A* A* A* A* A* A* A* A*A A A A
AS: English, History, Art and French
A2: English, History and Art
Original post by AaronLee
Nothing to really brag about, 84 C1, 79 C2, 85 S1, 100 M1, 92 D1, 88 D2 and 57 FP1😂😂 I'm more an applied maths person.

Same I got 95 plus in c1, c2, s1, m1 and fp1 then 68 in m2. I dropped more marks in m2 than all my others combined
Reply 718
Original post by ziggyystardust
Congrats, that's amazing!! I've got a friend who also applied for Politics but he hasn't heard back from Durham yet. Are you an A-level or IB applicant?

I'm an A Level applicant. Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jackmc100
Same I got 95 plus in c1, c2, s1, m1 and fp1 then 68 in m2. I dropped more marks in m2 than all my others combined

I did the same, 93, 97, 100, 100 for C1-4, 94 in M1, and 70 in M2 - it wasn't a nice paper xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending