The Student Room Group

Should I do a science at A-Level?

Hi,
I am currently in year 11 doing GCSE's and I am on my way to do a-levels at sixth form.
I am currently preparing to go to a sixth form and study:

History
Maths
Further Maths
Government and Politics

The reason I do not want to do a Science is because the only one available is Physics and that would mean not doing Government and Politics.

I don't like doing Physics as I do not understand it and find it a bit too challenging.

I could do chemistry, which is a subject I like but that would mean, I cannot do Further Maths.

So what should I do?

I know I can get into a top 5 Uni and so I would like to know if I should be doing a Science or not. And if taking Chemistry is better than taking further maths.

Also I am looking to do Law or Economics at degree level.

Many thanks,

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by The1AndOnly1
Hi,
I am currently in year 11 doing GCSE's and I am on my way to do a-levels at sixth form.
I am currently preparing to go to a sixth form and study:

History
Maths
Further Maths
Government and Politics

The reason I do not want to do a Science is because the only one available is Physics and that would mean not doing Government and Politics.

I don't like doing Physics as I do not understand it and find it a bit too challenging.

I could do chemistry, which is a subject I like but that would mean, I cannot do Further Maths.

So what should I do?

I know I can get into a top 5 Uni and so I would like to know if I should be doing a Science or not. And if taking Chemistry is better than taking further maths.

Also I am looking to do Law or Economics at degree level.

Many thanks,

Posted from TSR Mobile

The subjects you have are fine for law or economics. You could do AS Chemistry in Y12 and then AS Further Maths in Y13 however.
Original post by jamestg
The subjects you have are fine for law or economics. You could do AS Chemistry in Y12 and then AS Further Maths in Y13 however.

Thanks,
Will it be enough for a top 5 uni? (With required grades and extra curricular stuff and the other things of course).
And how do I do further maths at A2 if I did not do it A-level? Especially since all
my exams will be at the end of A2 now and won't be split up.
Finally, some Universities like Durham (one of top five :smile: ) recommend you do not do Further Maths at A2 in order to study economics. I am not sure if it was Durham but it was one of the top Universities however, they asked that you take an "extra" A2 subject in addition to three you'll do at A2.

And I do not want to do 4 A2 subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks,
Will it be enough for a top 5 uni? (With required grades and extra curricular stuff and the other things of course).
And how do I do further maths at A2 if I did not do it A-level? Especially since all
Finally, some Universities like Durham recommend you do not do Further Maths at A2 in order to study economics. I am not sure if it was Durham but it was one of the top Universities however, in which they asked that you take an "extra" A2 subject in addition to three you'll do at A2.

And I do not want to do 4 A2 subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thanks,
Finally, some Universities like Durham (one of top five :smile: ) recommend you do not do Further Maths at A2 in order to study economics. I am not sure if it was Durham but it was one of the top Universities however, they asked that you take an "extra" A2 subject in addition to three you'll do at A2.

And I do not want to do 4 A2 subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you really want to do FM until A2 just do the subjects listed in the OP! But be warned if you drop FM it will probably be too late to do another subject, seriously damaging your prospects of getting into a top uni.
Original post by jamestg
If you really want to do FM until A2 just do the subjects listed in the OP! But be warned if you drop FM it will probably be too late to do another subject, seriously damaging your prospects of getting into a top uni.

What does OP mean? also I don't understand. At A2 do I just do Maths, History and Government and Politics? And I can get into a top 5 uni, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest