The Student Room Group

Would I get into dentistry

I only took 3 AS levels-maths bio chem, got 3A's at AS all over 270 UMS out of 300 with full marks in a few papers. Predicted 3A*'s .
Always wanted to do medicine but not sure if I would get in if I applied in 2016 after results day, didn't apply this year as I want to take a gap year-in which I would do as much work exp as possible care homes, dental practices hospitals- the lot I have volunteered a lot in Spain already need some in UK.
Question is without a 4th AS level would I even be considered? What if I took a 4th AS in my gap year?? I'm very upset and confused my life dream seems like it's over.. looking at doing biomedical and then post grad Medicine
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sairam88
I only took 3 AS levels-maths bio chem, got 3A's at AS all over 270 UMS out of 300 with full marks in a few papers. Predicted 3A*'s .
Always wanted to do dentistry but not sure if I would get in if I applied in 2016 after results day, didn't apply this year as I want to take a gap year-in which I would do as much work exp as possible care homes, dental practices hospitals- the lot I have volunteered a lot in India already need some in UK.
Question is without a 4th AS level would I even be considered? What if I took a 4th AS in my gap year?? I'm very upset and confused my life dream seems like it's over.. looking at doing biomedical and then post grad dentistry or medicine

You won't be considered at the dental schools which specifically state that they want a fourth AS. Your dream isn't over -- don't be silly. Email various dental schools (there are only like 15 in the UK so it shouldn't be too much trouble) and ask what their policy is regarding this. If you can get a reply from a good handful saying that they're fine with three ASs, great. If not, then I suggest you take on an AS this year alongside your A2 subjects instead of doing your A Levels over three years, because dental schools won't like that at all, I'm afraid.

Do not think about doing 'post grad' (which is actually just graduate entry onto an undergraduate course) dentistry or medicine. :facepalm: The cons of that are so overwhelming that I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone with grades like yours. Just take an additional AS this year. You sound bright enough to cope. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Hydeman
You won't be considered at the dental schools which specifically state that they want a fourth AS. Your dream isn't over -- don't be silly. Email various dental schools (there are only like 15 in the UK so it shouldn't be too much trouble) and ask what their policy is regarding this. If you can get a reply from a good handful saying that they're fine with three ASs, great. If not, then I suggest you take on an AS this year alongside your A2 subjects instead of doing your A Levels over three years, because dental schools won't like that at all, I'm afraid.

Do not think about doing 'post grad' (which is actually just graduate entry onto an undergraduate course) dentistry or medicine. :facepalm: The cons of that are so overwhelming that I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone with grades like yours. Just take an additional AS this year. You sound bright enough to cope. :smile:

My school won't let me take another AS this year it's too late :frown: also i have emailed them and all I'm getting back is automated replies! I know about graduate entry it's so expensive and competitive I'm thinking of just giving up on dentistry to be honest I haven't got a chance. Do you do dentistry?
Reply 3
Original post by Hydeman

My only option now is to do something like pharmacy or optometry both of which I can get into. Just wish I had taken a 4th as level!
My school won't let me take another AS this year it's too late :frown:

Is your school okay with letting you sit the exams for an AS as a private candidate (i.e. you just pay for exams, teach yourself, and then turn up at the right date and venue) there, though? The reason that schools often decline to accept people for ASs late in the year is because they don't want them to join the classes that the school runs for that course -- they'd be miles behind the rest of the class. If they don't let you do that, you could try to find a college or sixth form other than your school that's happy to accept a private candidate.

I really recommend that you take an extra AS if at all possible (of course, you should first check with the dental schools). Take one in a subject you enjoy and find easy so that your A2 grades aren't too affected by it. Most dental schools won't ask anything higher than a B in the fourth AS so it should be do-able in the 6-7 months that you have to prepare in. :smile:

also i have emailed them and all I'm getting back is automated replies!

Then try calling them. Surely they can't automate that. :wink:

I know about graduate entry it's so expensive and competitive I'm thinking of just giving up on dentistry to be honest I haven't got a chance. Do you do dentistry?

I don't, no. I've applied to study medicine starting in 2016 and I have a friend who's currently doing a degree in biomedical sciences with a view to applying for graduate entry medicine, as well as other friends who're currently studying dentistry, so I know a little bit about these things. :smile:

I don't think you should give up. Should you get the three A*s you're predicted, you'd be at the top of the applicant pool academically if you applied next year. Just work through your options, find something that works, keep calm, and things will work out. :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
My only option now is to do something like pharmacy or optometry both of which I can get into. Just wish I had taken a 4th as level!

See the post above this one. :smile: Don't think you're out of options!
Reply 6
Original post by Hydeman
Is your school okay with letting you sit the exams for an AS as a private candidate (i.e. you just pay for exams, teach yourself, and then turn up at the right date and venue) there, though? The reason that schools often decline to accept people for ASs late in the year is because they don't want them to join the classes that the school runs for that course -- they'd be miles behind the rest of the class. If they don't let you do that, you could try to find a college or sixth form other than your school that's happy to accept a private candidate.

I really recommend that you take an extra AS if at all possible (of course, you should first check with the dental schools). Take one in a subject you enjoy and find easy so that your A2 grades aren't too affected by it. Most dental schools won't ask anything higher than a B in the fourth AS so it should be do-able in the 6-7 months that you have to prepare in. :smile:

I will ask but it's unlikely I will be allowed plus I don't know what 4th subject I would take!! Those 3 are the only ones I like and can do ..but I guess it's worth a shot asking if I can take another one

Then try calling them. Surely they can't automate that. :wink:

Good idea but I think they are all very busy with the current applications also as the subject of my email I put dentistry 2016 and I think they think I want to apply now I meant applying in 2016 ..

I don't, no. I've applied to study medicine starting in 2016 and I have a friend who's currently doing a degree in biomedical sciences with a view to applying for graduate entry medicine, as well as other friends who're currently studying dentistry, so I know a little bit about these things. :smile:
I see you are very useful thank you :smile:

I don't think you should give up. Should you get the three A*s you're predicted, you'd be at the top of the applicant pool academically if you applied next year. Just work through your options, find something that works, keep calm, and things will work out. :biggrin:

I will try my best but to be honest 3A*'s seem distant at the moment!! thank you
Reply 7
Original post by Hydeman
See the post above this one. :smile: Don't think you're out of options!

What would you say I should do if I can't take a 4th as level?
What would you say I should do if I can't take a 4th as level?

Apply to dental schools that don't require a fourth AS, if you can find any. They might be more lenient for 2017 entry since the applicants for that application cycle would be the first ones through the new system and, because not all schools have retained the AS qualification, it's likely that not all applicants will be able to offer ASs. It might also help to ask your referee to explain in the reference that you didn't have the opportunity to do a fourth AS -- this is important because otherwise they've no reason not to think that you simply chose not to do one.

There are always opportunities. If all else fails, I know of a college in Bristol that's geared towards people taking AS/A Levels or GCSEs privately (see here) and you can sit some exams there in the summer. The only drawback of that would be that you'd have to pay for the exams despite this being your first attempt at them and, unless you actually live in Bristol, travel and clashes with other exams might be an issue.
I will try my best but to be honest 3A*'s seem distant at the moment!! thank you

Definitely ask! :biggrin: Think about subjects that you liked doing at GCSE that you're not doing now (physics, perhaps?). Also, you should call them regardless of whether they're busy -- this is an important query, not just a minor one.

Aim for those A*s and you'll have stood yourself in good stead to enter dentistry in 2017.
I think some schools accept EPQ in place of a fourth AS! Nice stats, I think you have a great chance. Don't underestimate the UKCAT though, it can sweep you off your feet and ruin your whole application. You're almost there!
Original post by Ahmed766
I think some schools accept EPQ in place of a fourth AS! Nice stats, I think you have a great chance. Don't underestimate the UKCAT though, it can sweep you off your feet and ruin your whole application. You're almost there!

This. It's especially important for dentistry because there aren't any alternative entrance exams like the BMAT (as in the case of medicine) that you can take if your UKCAT doesn't go as well as it might.
Reply 12
Asked my teachers and they said I can't take one this year and I can't take one anywhere else. Had a few replies saying a 4th as is needed. So I guess its pharmacy or optom then. how disappointing for someone of my calibre to be rejected for something so petty-I take 3 sciences not some fluffy subjects does that count for nothing? :frown: there's nothing I can do to be honest I can't take a gap year just to be rejected
Reply 13
Original post by Ahmed766

I didn't do epq:frown: I know I would pass ukcat though with enough practice. Not that there's any point now
I didn't do epq:frown: I know I would pass ukcat though with enough practice. Not that there's any point now

Ask in your sixthform if you can do an EPQ or if you really need a 4th As ask them to do that. If not you can always try to do it as a private candidate and self studying for it. Not that I would advise doing it as a private candidate but if you really need to and it won't affect you that much then it's worth a shot.
Asked my teachers and they said I can't take one this year and I can't take one anywhere else. Had a few replies saying a 4th as is needed. So I guess its pharmacy or optom then. how disappointing for someone of my calibre to be rejected for something so petty-I take 3 sciences not some fluffy subjects does that count for nothing? :frown: there's nothing I can do to be honest I can't take a gap year just to be rejected

They can't tell you that you can't take one privately elsewhere. :tongue: Have a look at that college in Bristol that accepts private candidates that I linked a while back. If your school isn't budging on it, then talk to them about mentioning it in your reference that you weren't allowed to do a fourth AS (as opposed to didn't do one by choice). If they don't agree to that, I suggest asking your parents to talk to them because, to be honest, they're being inconsiderate jerks about this.
Reply 16
Original post by Hydeman
They can't tell you that you can't take one privately elsewhere. :tongue: Have a look at that college in Bristol that accepts private candidates that I linked a while back. If your school isn't budging on it, then talk to them about mentioning it in your reference that you weren't allowed to do a fourth AS (as opposed to didn't do one by choice). If they don't agree to that, I suggest asking your parents to talk to them because, to be honest, they're being inconsiderate jerks about this.

Think graduate entry is my only entry don't think I could take a 4th now and still get 3A*s so going to focus on the 3A*'s then see where life takes me!
Think graduate entry is my only entry don't think I could take a 4th now and still get 3A*s so going to focus on the 3A*'s then see where life takes me!

But you don't need three A*s for dentistry. For the vast majority of dental schools, AAA would be fine. Really, there's no guarantee in graduate entry and somebody with grades like yours really shouldn't be considering it. The last thing you want is to be halfway through a first degree and find out that student finance no longer funds graduate entry programmes... Just do the fourth AS one way or another -- you don't have to do perfect in it, you just need a B for most places. It really would be throwing away your grades if you went for graduate entry. :/
Always wanted to do medicine but not sure if I would get in if I applied in 2016 after results day, didn't apply this year as I want to take a gap year-in which I would do as much work exp as possible care homes, dental practices hospitals- the lot I have volunteered a lot in Spain already need some in UK.
Question is without a 4th AS level would I even be considered? What if I took a 4th AS in my gap year?? I'm very upset and confused my life dream seems like it's over.. looking at doing biomedical and then post grad Medicine

Just wanted to ask how your application for dentistry had gone.

Quick Reply

Latest