The Student Room Group

How many hours of revision do you do for A-level?

I haven't actually started sixth form/college (I don't know where to go?), but I'm curious to discover how many hours everyone spends revising? I'm planning to take 4 A-levels (English literature, Sociology, Biology and Chemistry)- will these subjects be too much?
I normally do 5 hours of revision a day, I'm just worried about the 2 essay based subjects (+novels you're continually set)... and apparently Biology and chemistry is quite arduous? So, will it be difficult balancing these subjects? Should I drop one? :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
I think thats quite a balanced choice and its fairly easy for you to do well in that. I took French, Maths, bio and geog which was a struggle, particularly as I ended up cramming for everything with no real revision. But if you revise, you'll find those subjects fine! (Depending on how hard working you are, intelligence has little to do with it)
Original post by Outlawblues
I haven't actually started sixth form/college (I
don't know where to go?), but I'm curious to discover how many hours everyone spends revising? I'm planning to take 4 A-levels (English literature, Sociology, Biology and Chemistry)- will these subjects be too much?
Reply 2
I'm not sure about your other subjects but the teachers at my college tell us that we should study independently approximately double the number of hours we spend in that class for that subject a week. That seems a bit irrational because I'm (hehe) quite lazy and I don't think it's possible for me to study that many hours because I go crazy after 2-3 hours of studying and usually desperately need fresh air/a solid break after a while. And do we even have that many hours in a week, factoring in sleeping/eating/school hours?
Anyway so to answer your question, as an A-level student who takes Chemistry, Biology and Single Mathematics, I take roughly (on average) 4-6 hours a week for Chemistry and Biology each.
I think that's my optimum.
Hope this was helpful.

P.S. Sorry I'm unable to comment about your subject choices because I know nothing about English Lit or Sociology, but I know Biology and Chemistry are a handful, so make sure the other two subjects aren't too info-heavy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
I'd also recommend doing 3 hours of extra revision per subject per week as well as homework.
Original post by AW97
I think thats quite a balanced choice and its fairly easy for you to do well in that. I took French, Maths, bio and geog which was a struggle, particularly as I ended up cramming for everything with no real revision. But if you revise, you'll find those subjects fine! (Depending on how hard working you are, intelligence has little to do with it)

Quick Reply

Latest