The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by abc:)
See this is totally different to my experience. I've lived in Birmingham and Sheffield, not lived in London to be fair but whilst you get rude people, as you do anywhere, I've always found the culture to be really nice. And as for British culture in general, I love that too.

Birmingham is much more pleasant than London. But regardless the weather here is horrible, the people are on the sad side and generally have more of a negative attitude lol.
Original post by Jimbo1234
Yup, this country is pretty dire. People always compared it to the worst e.g. "at least it isn't as bad as...". WHat happened to trying to be better? But trying would go against British mentality. INstead you are meant to feel guilty for succeeding. Also no one does anything with their time - they just lounge about rather than going out and doing things (though I suspect that is partially because the UKs spending power is dire and I think at breaking point).

You are right - go abroad. People tend to have a much happier attitude towards life and have a better standard of living.

Thanks for your reps :biggrin:

Yes hating on successful people seems to be a national sport. In America, people moan about "the 1%" too but, even pre uni, British students who work hard and are open about being ambitious are seen as too "forward" than say American students (I went to an international school).

A good example is the NHS. No hate for doctors and nurses but it is a failed institution in a lot of ways, cover ups, loads of bureaucracy and when scandals like that Staffs hospital killing over 1000 people or the recent one about bosses' pay happen nothing is done. I know people who work for it and they say nothing will ever change
Original post by Bill_Gates
Tbh it's not about me suggesting, go out there and travel and you will see for yourself. One of the best places in the world for pretty much everything is Canada right now. But many more!

UK was decent maybe in the late 80s early 90s in comparison to the world. Now the UK is literally just a small island solely dependent on a very depressing London.

I have travelled a lot, not lived everywhere though that's expensive unless you have a job :biggrin:

Could you link the top 50 cities thing you said to driftaway? Thanks
I've got massive regional pride but not much national if I'm honest. I like where I live.
Original post by Fat Rudeboi
Don't bring up his posts, and he was obviously trolling from his first post. Anyway, he's been reported the mods can deal with it :yep:

No you simply didn't like what I said.

I see you like telling other people what to do.
I don't want to sound anti UK, my parents are very traditional and I respect them

I definitely like some aspects of our culture, but having done a lot of travelling I find that people from most other countries tend to be so much more open and friendly than Brits. I was unhappy for most of my childhood having grown up in a very "middle England" area of London where there were mostly people who were white like we were and not even diverse Brits. I am in my 20s now and have lived and worked around the country, North Midlands and South, and still don't like it.

We are often really negative and small minded and moany in this country. I hate reading things like the Guardian or the Telegraph now because it's always navel gazing depressing articles. We have a **** attitude towards success compared to countries like America or China. We are too history focused, I have every respect for traditions like the monarchy but its too much. Also, I am not London centred but outside London a lot of our major cities just don't compare to others IMO. And even London these days is largely a playground for the rich

Yes I am thinking of moving before people suggest it, however am I being too negative (ironically?)

You're 100% wrong. British people are the most open and friendly in the entire world, and have a completely positive attitude towards success. You're right that London is ****. But the rest of the country is amazing.
Original post by MrKmas508
I've got massive regional pride but not much national if I'm honest. I like where I live.

Where do you live?

cole-slaw
You're 100% wrong. British people are the most open and friendly in the entire world, and have a completely positive attitude towards success. You're right that London is ****. But the rest of the country is amazing.

Same^
I have travelled a lot, not lived everywhere though that's expensive unless you have a job :biggrin:

Could you link the top 50 cities thing you said to driftaway? Thanks

https://www.gfmag.com/global-data/non-economic-data/best-cities-to-live
Original post by Bill_Gates
Tbh it's not about me suggesting, go out there and travel and you will see for yourself. One of the best places in the world for pretty much everything is Canada right now. But many more!

UK was decent maybe in the late 80s early 90s in comparison to the world. Now the UK is literally just a small island solely dependent on a very depressing London.

Canada? jog on. Its cold as Hades and nothing happens. Christ, you'll be saying Scandinavia is a good place to live next. How about the Isle of Skye? Or maybe Mars?
South London. Croydon

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by abc:)
See this is totally different to my experience. I've lived in Birmingham and Sheffield, not lived in London to be fair but whilst you get rude people, as you do anywhere, I've always found the culture to be really nice. And as for British culture in general, I love that too.

I find it easier to get work in London, having said that the people are usually ruder
Yes. Everyone looks so miserable to me. No one seems happy especially in London

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where do you live?

Same^

Newcastle specifically but every weekend I usually explore the rural areas. I've been as far north as Kielder Forest and as far South as Darlington. There's lots of s**tholes but also lots of nice places as well. There's usually always sometime going on in the region. For example I'm going to the Durham light show in a few weeks.
Prefer Amsterdam.
Original post by kx5
First of, I am foreign. In the sense that I am a non-British person and I would have loved to be one, but I do live in Britain.

Whether you like living in Britain or not is a matter of your own perspective. For example, when I first came to England I found that the small houses and the generally dark green environment, even in cities as big as say Brum, were extremely picturesque and quaint. The weather, well, all countries have bad weather from time to time. And here is no exception. I personally find the horrible weather to be a myth, because especially during the Spring or Summer the weather is so much better, and it gets quite sunny too. It is not depressing to me as others make it. Plus, lots of people like rainy and melancholy weather in the first place.

Ironically, the British demeanour (the 'less friendly' demeanour, if that is even true about British people) genuinely attracts me, it gives me the impression that you guys mean business, and that it takes more than just a pat on the back to trust and build a solid relationship with others. Similarly, I like Britain's history, and heritage.

Since I am essentially a third-party person, I merely wanna highlight the fact that whether you like living in a country or not is shaped by your complete perception of it. I like living in Britain because of my personal understanding of the spirit of its people and its history, along with its 'bad' weather and 'dull' buildings.

From my experience, history is the only thing the UK has going for it, the people are too proud and are somehow still miserable and have no lack of sarcasm, the politicians have to regard for their constituents and frankly I would rather be anywhere else (within reason so Europe and the Northern Americas).
(edited 8 years ago)
I thought I was the only person who thought this:sexface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cole-slaw
Canada? jog on. Its cold as Hades and nothing happens. Christ, you'll be saying Scandinavia is a good place to live next. How about the Isle of Skye? Or maybe Mars?

Toronto and Vancouver two of the best cities in the world right now. It's not even cold in vancouver and only rarely extreme chills in Toronto.

I'd much prefer someone to answer with experience. P.S it's people like you who make Britain depressing. People just full of patriotic ****** and narrow minded views. No wonder this country is lagging.
Original post by IBIB
You ought to **** off back to your home country

Already in it, you mad? You ought to **** off my thread :smug:
You're criticising Brits for moaning and complaining yet you're the one complaining about Britain...

I count myself lucky that I live in the UK, I'd rather be here than a lot of other countries in the world. Obviously it's not as aesthetically pleasing as other parts of the world, but in terms of quality of life I personally think it's pretty good.
Original post by MrKmas508
Newcastle specifically but every weekend I usually explore the rural areas. I've been as far north as Kielder Forest and as far South as Darlington. There's lots of s**tholes but also lots of nice places as well. There's usually always sometime going on in the region. For example I'm going to the Durham light show in a few weeks.

I haven't lived in Newcastle. Is there a lot going for young people?

@TSR Mustafa have you lived in Amsterdam?

@katemate98 Noticed that myself earlier :lol: Bill_Gates has posted a lot of stuff I agree with in response to the other part of your post