The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eveiebaby

I would no lie, tell him to find a conventional girlfriend if he didn't like it and that I'm sorry but I don't like prim and proper anything. I did this with the last guy I dated who tried to get me to shave my armpits - I told him to shave his and we might have a deal!

I am into him, I'm just extremely strong willed and anti-submission. He's ballsy and outspoken too, but in a way that is compatible so that we don't have conflicting attitudes for major things.

Wow, it's nice that you have your own style, but sad you would react like that just for him giving you his honest opinion. I see this is very important to you, but don't you think it's a bad thing if you can't be honest with each other?
Original post by Mankytoes
Wow, it's nice that you have your own style, but sad you would react like that just for him giving you his honest opinion. I see this is very important to you, but don't you think it's a bad thing if you can't be honest with each other?

I didn't say I'd silence him - he can say that if he wants. My point is that by saying that he would be asking me to be someone else. And if he wants a certain look, there are many other women in the world that might be more suited to his tastes and maybe I'm not right for him.

He has completely free agency, you know. I would like him to be fully happy and I also want to be with someone who accepts me and loves me for my eccentricities. So far I have no reason to believe that they are mutually exclusive.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Eveiebaby
I didn't say I'd silence him - he can say that if he wants. My point is that by saying that he would be asking me to be someone else. And if he wants a certain look, there are many other women in the world that might be more suited to his tastes and maybe I'm not right for him.

He has completely free agency, you know. I would like him to be fully happy and I also want to be with someone who accepts me and loves me for my eccentricitie. So far I have no reason to believe that they are mutually exclusive.

I guess we've just got very different views on these things. To give up a relationship over something as superficial as a pierced nipple is not something I can really get my head around.
Original post by Mankytoes
I guess we've just got very different views on these things. To give up a relationship over something as superficial as a pierced nipple is not something I can really get my head around.

I think you probably misunderstand. I wouldnt leave him for that! It's more a statement to say "I'm getting this done - I hope that this makes no difference to our relationship but if you really object to this to the point you no longer find me attractive, perhaps we need to revise our compatibility"

It's not superficial at all; I see it as controlling.

Anyway...different circles/scenes, different values. Its why its sometimes easier to date people who have similar thought processes and beliefs.
I agree OP. I too find tattoos repulsive. My partner has bloody loads. And his teen daughters too. I'm seriously wondering if I can put up with looking at hideous and amateurish skin scribble for the rest of my life. It makes me feel sick that someone would do that mutilation to their body. It's not
Original post by Anonymusideas
Say: "Excuse me boyfriend, can you stop getting tattoos for it greatly disgraces your body and I find it unattractive."

Or.

You could strap yourself to a chair for days on end staring at tattoos on the internet and only get let up when your mind finds it attractive as a means of survival.

That's the thing isn't it, people who like tattoos don't understand why those that don't don't like them and vice versa. I really feel for this girl as I certainly wouldn't want to continue dating a woman who came home with snoopy tattooed on her shoulder lol!
Original post by Josb
OP, I don't think you want to stay with that kind of selfish guy. If you continue with him, he may be the kind of guy to make crazy moves, such as buying a new car, or going on a trip, without telling you first.

Buying a new car or going on a trip are not the slightest bit comparable are they? You don't usually fancy a car or go out with a guy for his car. You could say his car is an attractive addition but that aside, a car or a trip are not permanent changes to a relationship. A tattoo is akin to coming home one night and saying, hey love, what d'you reckon and suddenly your other half has now got a bone through their nose that's not removable.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't want to sound mean or anything but I'm just being honest. I like my boyfriend loads but a few weeks ago he went to get a load of tattoos. He already had 2 smallish ones and although I wasn't keen on them I kind of turned a blind eye because I like him. The thing is though the 4 he has had done are huge 2 are on his back and there's 2 more he's had done on his arms. Some people will like tattoos but tattoos on the arms of guys just looks unattractive to me, how can I get over my dislike of tattoos?

Tbh, I think you should really find another partner if it bothers you that much. It wouldn't be fair for you to ask him to change himself just for your own personal attraction. You are going to gradually lose attraction to each other over time anyway, so I would say if you want to get over it; learn to love him for him, just as he loves you for you
Original post by Anonymous
Tbh, I think you should really find another partner if it bothers you that much. It wouldn't be fair for you to ask him to change himself just for your own personal attraction. You are going to gradually lose attraction to each other over time anyway, so I would say if you want to get over it; learn to love him for him, just as he loves you for you

Lmao just noticed this was 6 years ago... ffs

Latest

Trending

Trending