The Student Room Group

GAMSAT 2016 (2017 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

Just got my results for the Sept GAMSAT (69, 76, 49) with an overall of 61 and have just paid for Dublin 2016. This was my first attempt and had to teach myself Chem and Physics from scratch. So I am trying not to be too upset about the results.

I am currently a nurse with a background as an HCA, I volunteered in a school for kids with learning difficulties as a teenager and then in a psych ward when at university the first time round. I work in theatres so am pretty much tooth and jowl with doctors all day and to make matters worse I live with one (my gf). So I am pretty much covered in the work experience thing.

I have a 2:2 in psychology, a 2:1 in adult nursing and a completed course in anaesthetic practice.

I feel like I have given up a year of my life for nothing by screwing up section 3 this time but as I was so so close I am giving it another punt. And probs another punt after that with the Sept exam. Is anyone here in Manchester and fancy a study group? PM me if thats the case.
Reply 21
Original post by lyra1987
Hi,

Just got my results for the Sept GAMSAT (69, 76, 49) with an overall of 61 and have just paid for Dublin 2016. This was my first attempt and had to teach myself Chem and Physics from scratch. So I am trying not to be too upset about the results.

I am currently a nurse with a background as an HCA, I volunteered in a school for kids with learning difficulties as a teenager and then in a psych ward when at university the first time round. I work in theatres so am pretty much tooth and jowl with doctors all day and to make matters worse I live with one (my gf). So I am pretty much covered in the work experience thing.

I have a 2:2 in psychology, a 2:1 in adult nursing and a completed course in anaesthetic practice.

I feel like I have given up a year of my life for nothing by screwing up section 3 this time but as I was so so close I am giving it another punt. And probs another punt after that with the Sept exam. Is anyone here in Manchester and fancy a study group? PM me if thats the case.

Hard luck with S3, so close and fantastic scores in the first two! I'm sure you'll be able to get over 50 next time and probably significantly better. Which unis did you apply to?

I'm in Birmingham unfortunately. Any fellow Brummies get in touch!
Hi all, I am attempting the UKCAT and GAMSAT next year. I have some GCSE and A-Level books for the science and have discovered Khan Academy which is brilliant. I also have some philosophy and psychology books (my degree was in psychology) for the first two sections of the GAMSAT. I will be doing lots of reading and watching the news to keep up to date with current affairs and will use the mock papers online as much as possible. Also write write write to keep up wrist stamina. How is everyone else studying?
Hi. This going to be my 5th time applying for medicine. I have everything including 1st in Biomed but the only thing that stops me is the entry test. Can you recommend any useful preparation for gamsat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any gamsat prep you would like to suggest. Is it worth getting the Kaplan or des oniell

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got it! Thank you very much! :smile:
Reply 26
Neuronerd you are a star! Thank you so much! :biggrin:

And congrats on your fantastic score x
Reply 27
Original post by BlackDiary
Hi. This going to be my 5th time applying for medicine. I have everything including 1st in Biomed but the only thing that stops me is the entry test. Can you recommend any useful preparation for gamsat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Neuronerd has given some great resources. I am yet to look up any actual revision materials, but if you still have your old GCSE, A - Level science notes that should be helpful. I can imagine applying 5 times must be hard, but at least you didnt give up x
Reply 28
Hi,

Is the 49 the only score that's letting you down? Otherwise those are really great scores.

I do know 3 nurses who are studying medicine right now at Warwick, so your background is definitely going to help you out x
Original post by PintoBeans
Is the 49 the only score that's letting you down? Otherwise those are really great scores.

I do know 3 nurses who are studying medicine right now at Warwick, so your background is definitely going to help you out x

Thank you. I am really really happy with the first 2 section scores. Especially for a first time attempt at the GAMSAT. I am over the moon with an overall score of 61 as was sure it would be a lot lower than that. But yes it is only the 49 letting me down. You need a minimum of 50 or 55 in the Science section to be competitive and it is horrifying to be so close and yet do far.

I am trying madly to pick myself up, dust myself off and get back to it. Trying not to be too downhearted about it all.
Thank you. I am really really happy with the first 2 section scores. Especially for a first time attempt at the GAMSAT. I am over the moon with an overall score of 61 as was sure it would be a lot lower than that. But yes it is only the 49 letting me down. You need a minimum of 50 or 55 in the Science section to be competitive and it is horrifying to be so close and yet do far.

I am trying madly to pick myself up, dust myself off and get back to it. Trying not to be too downhearted about it all.

hey, I had this back in 2013 too :frown: 62 81 45 :redface:
I'm hoping I can get some chemistry tuition in next year to help.
Felt sort of productive yesterday. Today I am back to being really sad. Getting the official sorry but you are not good enough emails are just destroying me. I know I need to look to the future and start working on studying for march but I really want to crawl into a hole and hide.

I really do wish I had really messed up the exam. Then I wouldn't have held out false hope that they might just reconsider my application. But to be off by one point just seems cruel.
Official cut off for Nottingham was 60 (55, 55, 50) So I was right about being one point short. Damn section 3! St Georges was also a cut off of 60.
Reply 33
Felt sort of productive yesterday. Today I am back to being really sad. Getting the official sorry but you are not good enough emails are just destroying me. I know I need to look to the future and start working on studying for march but I really want to crawl into a hole and hide.

Have they already started giving out replies. It's so early!
Wow lyra 1987, such fantastic scores!! You will definitely get over 50 in s3 on your next attempt. Stay positive!
Reply 35
Thanks for uploading neuronerd, I can't access dropbox because it's blocked at work (rightly so I guess, protecting patient data and all that). I will get on it as soon as I'm home!
Do guys think it's worth buying the golden standard book? Or the desonell book? Or any other books you would like to recommend

Posted from TSR Mobile
I used the Gold standard but have nothing else really to compare it to. Have also bought some a level study guides for the second run at it.
I used the Gold standard but have nothing else really to compare it to. Have also bought some a level study guides for the second run at it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which one do u buy I'm so confused some £300 some are £200 I'm just confused at what should be the content of gold standard book

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending