The Student Room Group

Depression a problem in a relationship?

If your partner of a few months disclosed to you that they had previously suffered from severe depression and had relapses from time to time, would you think less of them/be less attracted to them?

Obviously, our society is all about tolerance and acceptance so the expected response from 'decent' individuals is that it would not. However, we are naturally attracted to those mates who give our offspring the best chances of success. We also want to be with someone who is fun, self-reliant and successful themselves. Entirely hoenstly, do you think such an issue would put you off someone/see them as less of a long-term prospect?
Reply 1
No I wouldn't think less of them, it's not their fault. I'd like it more because they opened up to me. You're supposed to be understanding and help your partner anyway, that's the point of a relationship

I myself have depression and if I found out my partner didn't find me attractive because of that I'd be even worse
Reply 2
Original post by Darien91

if I found out my partner didn't find me attractive because of that I'd be even worse

If I found out your partner had that sort of behaviour, they won't be on top of my TSR list :colonhash:
Original post by Anonymous
If your partner of a few months disclosed to you that they had previously suffered from severe depression and had relapses from time to time, would you think less of them/be less attracted to them?

Obviously, our society is all about tolerance and acceptance so the expected response from 'decent' individuals is that it would not. However, we are naturally attracted to those mates who give our offspring the best chances of success. We also want to be with someone who is fun, self-reliant and successful themselves. Entirely hoenstly, do you think such an issue would put you off someone/see them as less of a long-term prospect?

This is what happened to me, vice versa though. He revealed to me that he had depression and that that was stopping him from getting into a serious relationship, which was such a shame.

I didn't think less of him and I felt like I connected with him deeper because he told me. But unfortunately, it wasn't what he wanted.
Reply 4
Original post by kka25
If I found out your partner had that sort of behaviour, they won't be on top of my TSR list :colonhash:

I'm lost? 😂
Reply 5
Original post by Darien91
I'm lost? 😂

:lol: You've forgotten about the top quoted list before :tongue:
My boyfriend used to have depression, and I'm suffering from it now. We don't think less of each other at all, it just means we understand each other much better and we went through/are going through
Reply 7
i suffered form depression for many years and despite being given constant overdoeses of my prescriptive drugs from my **** parents, i have come out better and stronger than before and i believe that whatever happens dont let your parents medicate you.
I would never discriminate against someone for having depression. However, I don't think it's healthy in a relationship. My depression is why I broke up with my boyfriend
Reply 9
Depression is incredibly difficult to deal with in a relationship on both sides. If you are depressed, you might find it difficult to communicate with your partner, to enjoy socializing or have a romantic life. This can make things difficult for your partner, because they might feel like they can't do anything to help and that you don't want to be with them.

It shouldn't be a case of one person thinking less of the other if you are in a caring relationship, but depression certainly can put a massive strain on a relationship, and sometimes it's better for both parties to take some time apart and deal with it separately.
Original post by kka25
:lol: You've forgotten about the top quoted list before :tongue:

I'm old now I've got early onset of dementia 😏
Original post by Anonymous

Oh my goodness, absolutely not. I'd never ridicule any body for their experiences of mental health concerns.
Research has found that depressive symptoms elicit negative reactions from others, so in day to day interaction it is likely to lead to conflict, which is a big shame. We must be more understanding when it comes to this topic.
my experience is totally different. Not only one but two of the guys I used to date left me because of that what makes me have no hope for finding love tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending