The Student Room Group

Why Do I Crave to be in a Relationship?

So, this guy told me after 2 months of seeing him, he isn't ready for a relationship, despite him telling another guy he was seeing it was over between him and the other guy in order to move forward with me. He said I was his love interest and he want's to go exclusive... 2 weeks from then (now), I asked him to meet me after work because I could not cope with constantly him being on my mind and etc.

So he told me that he's not in a right place and the moment... I was like "hmm ok".. then he went on to tell me that he sometimes can't control his emotions, so immediately I knew he was referring to his state of mind. I ask is this something to do with a psychiatric illness. He said yes. I was like "oh ok" etc. And he told me he has depression. He doesn't take his antidepressants and doesn't see a professional which doesn't help one bit.

I feel like he's using his mental health as a shield to get into a relationship (I suffer from SAD), and I feel like his mental health is holding him back. It sucks that he's not ready after him telling me he was but that's the way it goes.

But I just feel like crap because I was so close to having a relationship that I've always wanted - just the "what could of been" is playing on my mind. We have decided to remain friends cause it'd be a shame to let him go just because of him not being ready. But how do I try to let him go, without it breaking my heart?
Its the feeling that you want to have someone there, someone whom you can share intimate details about your life with. The problem is that you are perfectly fine the way you are, but you are blinded by that idea of relationships too much. its ok to crave it, I used too, until I realised that I was happier being able to be who I am without changing anything about myself for others.

Be happy, and start to slowly date casually, find someone who is like you, has the same mindset in life. Don't give up that easily, and letting go doesn't really mean you have to stop talking to him, its being able to accept the circumstances in life and your emotions and being ok with it to move on from them.
You're both healing over something, don't let that get to you too much.
Reply 2
Original post by maryamzahid
Its the feeling that you want to have someone there, someone whom you can share intimate details about your life with. The problem is that you are perfectly fine the way you are, but you are blinded by that idea of relationships too much. its ok to crave it, I used too, until I realised that I was happier being able to be who I am without changing anything about myself for others.

Be happy, and start to slowly date casually, find someone who is like you, has the same mindset in life. Don't give up that easily, and letting go doesn't really mean you have to stop talking to him, its being able to accept the circumstances in life and your emotions and being ok with it to move on from them.
You're both healing over something, don't let that get to you too much.

This helped me by the way!

The guy and I are friends now. But we have distant ourselves a bit just to let things cool off.

And I'm slowly dating again now! Thanks again! :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
This helped me by the way!

The guy and I are friends now. But we have distant ourselves a bit just to let things cool off.

And I'm slowly dating again now! Thanks again! :smile:

Aww thank you, I'm happy to know that my advice has been useful :smile: and that is great to hear, remember to give yourself some me time as well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending