The Student Room Group

Should I delete possibly bad social media profiles when I apply to uni?

Obviously I've been given the talk about what I post online on Facebook and twitter etc. My problem isn't that I have embarrassing pictures on Facebook or that I post stupid stuff, but that in the 6 years I've had Facebook, I've liked a lot of pages that now seem quite stupid and commented a lot on statuses and pictures on really popular Facebook pages (ladbible for example).

My privacy settings on my actual profile are secure, but the problem is that I've commented on very public pages. Will universities actually bother to look for these? Will these comments go against me when applying? If so, will deleting my account actually remove these comments or make it impossible to link back to me?

The comments themselves arent bad, I mean they're not racist or saying stuff like "I smoke weed all the time" or anything like that, but I'd still prefer them gone if they could go against me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by BarBar124
Obviously I've been given the talk about what I post online on Facebook and twitter etc. My problem isn't that I have embarrassing pictures on Facebook or that I post stupid stuff, but that in the 6 years I've had Facebook, I've liked a lot of pages that now seem quite stupid and commented a lot on statuses and pictures on really popular Facebook pages (ladbible for example).

My privacy settings on my actual profile are secure, but the problem is that I've commented on very public pages. Will universities actually bother to look for these? Will these comments go against me when applying? If so, will deleting my account actually remove these comments or make it impossible to link back to me?

The comments themselves arent bad, I mean they're not racist or saying stuff like "I smoke weed all the time" or anything like that, but I'd still prefer them gone if they could go against me.

Universities don't have the time and resource to check all their applicants social media profiles, and could not care less (unless you're applying for a job there).

It probably does not matter for uni but if you want to get a decent job in the future I would delete these pronto pronto. I am not sure how easy it is to delete them though.
Reply 3
The problem is that its 6 years worth of embarrassing comments. Not offensive, just rude really. Would it just be easier to delete the account and hopefully all the comments go with it?
I wouldn't worry too much since if you delete the profile, all anyone can find when they search your name is that name and a bunch of comments (no picture) - there are probably thousands of people with your name unless it's unique so who's to say those comments are yours?

So I'd delete the profiles and then set up a public Linkedin or other professional page, with a picture, and showcase your best skills there. That way, you're managing your own online presence.
Reply 5

Original post by squeakysquirrel
It probably does not matter for uni but if you want to get a decent job in the future I would delete these pronto pronto. I am not sure how easy it is to delete them though.

Your FB activity log will list all your likes and comments. You can then delete them.

And as said by others: unis don't care, but future employers might.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Yeah I have a pretty unique name... might be best to just delete the lot and start over
Universities definitely wont care, some employers will care but most won't. As long as the posts aren't illegal or offensive you'll be fine. Have a look at FB's privacy settings and see if anything there does what you want it to.
Yeah I have a pretty unique name... might be best to just delete the lot and start over

You can change your name on facebook.

I'd suggest doing that and abandoning the account (lock it down, remove all profile photos, unfriend everyone) rather than deleting. Deleting doesn't rename/remove all of your posts on other pages/friends walls https://www.facebook.com/help/224562897555674
Original post by PQ
You can change your name on facebook.

I'd suggest doing that and abandoning the account (lock it down, remove all profile photos, unfriend everyone) rather than deleting. Deleting doesn't rename/remove all of your posts on other pages/friends walls https://www.facebook.com/help/224562897555674

Is this only for if your FB is public? Mine is private so only friends can see it. I have a public Twitter account but I've never posted anything on there that is rude or offensive, and it is linked to the job I want to do.
Original post by emiloujess
Is this only for if your FB is public? Mine is private so only friends can see it. I have a public Twitter account but I've never posted anything on there that is rude or offensive, and it is linked to the job I want to do.

Yes - or if like the OP you've used your FB account to make embarrassing comments on public pages (or have embarrassing old profile pictures as even locked down these are usually public)
Original post by PQ
Yes - or if like the OP you've used your FB account to make embarrassing comments on public pages (or have embarrassing old profile pictures as even locked down these are usually public)

Oh, I'm fine then :smile: The most I've commented on are political pages and anti-Britain First. Thanks for clearing that up :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by emiloujess
Oh, I'm fine then :smile: The most I've commented on are political pages and anti-Britain First. Thanks for clearing that up :smile:

Those are public posts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://justdelete.me/ is a useful site if you're concerned about your online identiy
Original post by jneill
Those are public posts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.... but nothing offensive... which was the whole point of the OP...
If you make your account private, the only always public parts are current profile picture and cover photos. go through these and delete any you think are inappropriate. then change your last name - most nursing students do this as you may realize with friends who change their last name or spelling of given names. ensure for obvious reasons you don't put in your 'info' that you are attending that uni/on that course unless of course you have made this visible to 'friends only'.

It's not universities you have to worry about, it's future employers.
What if.....you're like me and don't own a phone, laptop, PC, tablet or TV and therefore have no form of social media on your name.
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
What if.....you're like me and don't own a phone, laptop, PC, tablet or TV and therefore have no form of social media on your name.

How are you commenting right now? :confused::curious:
Original post by Millie-3
How are you commenting right now? :confused::curious:

Public library lel.

But ok, that might have been a partial lie.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending