The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster Entrance Exams

Scroll to see replies

What does everyone think of the first half term?
it aight
Loving the depth there
I'm thinking about applying to this school for next year so I'd love to know more about it because it is relatively new. Thanks
Original post by BluBird :)
I'm thinking about applying to this school for next year so I'd love to know more about it because it is relatively new. Thanks

I've recently applied :smile:
Original post by kennethdcharles
I've recently applied :smile:

What exams are you doing?
Original post by BluBird :)
What exams are you doing?

I'm applying to do maths further maths chemistry and physics; I'm taking exams in Mathematics and Physics.
I'm applying to do maths further maths chemistry and physics; I'm taking exams in Mathematics and Physics.

The maths department is amazing. Most of our teachers there are good at explaining concepts, and are amazing at maths in general. It's a very cultivating; lots of opportunities to take your education to a further level if you have a passion and competency for it.

Be preprepared: we get quite a bit of homework, and each term we're pushed to study and revise for our assessments. I've found that I'm working about 3 hours a day on average in order to keep up.

All-in-all, very good. Would recommend. Although, be warned, the school's location has an inherent affect on the spacial arrow.. The school's very confined; narrow corridors and steep steps.
Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
The maths department is amazing. Most of our teachers there are good at explaining concepts, and are amazing at maths in general. It's a very cultivating; lots of opportunities to take your education to a further level if you have a passion and competency for it.

Be preprepared: we get quite a bit of homework, and each term we're pushed to study and revise for our assessments. I've found that I'm working about 3 hours a day on average in order to keep up.

All-in-all, very good. Would recommend. Although, be warned, the school's location has an inherent affect on the spacial arrow.. The school's very confined; narrow corridors and steep steps.

That is very good to know! Now I'll have a very tough decision to make between King's College London Mathematics School and Harris Westminster! Thank you for the information :smile: By the way, does the principle teach maths ?
That is very good to know! Now I'll have a very tough decision to make between King's College London Mathematics School and Harris Westminster! Thank you for the information :smile: By the way, does the principle teach maths ?

I went to KCL Maths School for one week didn't really like it and then left and went to Harris instead.

No, he doesn't. The previous year group got to enjoy his teaching, but now he's become a principal full-time. Don't worry though, he's been replaced with more-than-competent mathematics teachers.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
I went to KCL Maths School for one week didn't really like it and then left and went to Harris instead.

ohh. Why didn't you like it?
ohh. Why didn't you like it?

Idk there were a few reasons... it just felt weird as there weren't that many students so there weren't many people to talk to. There was a weird atmosphere like cos some people were really OTT about maths (I get it's a maths school but it wasn't what I expected). Also I wasn't a big fan of the idea of doing EPQ and I wanted to do chemistry. On the other hand the headteacher is very nice.
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
Idk there were a few reasons... it just felt weird as there weren't that many students so there weren't many people to talk to. There was a weird atmosphere like cos some people were really OTT about maths (I get it's a maths school but it wasn't what I expected). Also I wasn't a big fan of the idea of doing EPQ and I wanted to do chemistry. On the other hand the headteacher is very nice.

I see. I went to the taster day at KCL and everyone there was like really nerdy :biggrin:
I applied the other day as well- for English Lit, Politics, Economics and Philosophy. I chose Philosophy and English for my exams and Politics for my interview- I wasn't sure about Economics because obviously there's not a GCSE equivalent so I don't know very much about the subject. Can anyone tell me how essential it is I get an A in maths for Economics? I'll probably end up borderline B/A grade in my exam (early entry so I can always re-sit) however I will easily get an A* in Business which seems like a closer match to Economics anyway?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by maditalks
I applied the other day as well- for English Lit, Politics, Economics and Philosophy. I chose Philosophy and English for my exams and Politics for my interview- I wasn't sure about Economics because obviously there's not a GCSE equivalent so I don't know very much about the subject. Can anyone tell me how essential it is I get an A in maths for Economics? I'll probably end up borderline B/A grade in my exam (early entry so I can always re-sit) however I will easily get an A* in Business which seems like a closer math to Economics anyway?

You should be fine. The economics entrance examination didn't involve any maths. If it does, it will probably contain quick calculation questions which anyone can do regardless of mathematical competency. As long as you qualify for an interview and prove you desires academically, you'll be walking to Steel House every day in no-time.

That being said, the entry requirements does state that an A in maths is required to study economics. From my experience, however, these are simple guidelines -- they won't automatically exclude a student just because of one inconsistency. If you get get offered an interview, then a space, and then get a row of the highest grades, getting a few marks below an A won't be nearly enough to discourage them from offering you a place.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
You should be fine. The economics entrance examination didn't involve any maths. If it does, it will probably contain quick calculation questions which anyone can do regardless of mathematical competency. As long as you qualify for an interview and prove you desires academically, you'll be walking to Steel House every day in no-time.

That being said, the entry requirements does state that an A in maths is required to study economics. From my experience, however, these are simple guidelines -- they won't automatically exclude a student just because of one inconsistency. If you get get offered an interview, then a space, and then get a row of the highest grades, getting a few marks below an A won't be nearly enough to discourage them from offering you a place.

Good luck :smile:

Aah thank you so much, do you have any idea what GCSE they look at for Politics? I'm guessing its something like English or History but was just wondering.
Hey does anyone possibly have spare tickets for the Harris Westminster Open evening on the 17th november? Thanks :smile:
I think i kind of messed up the application form. I didn't fill out the bit about disability statement and i accidentally submitted it. Anyway, my interview will be on English Literature and i'll be doing maths and history for the entrance exams. I don't know how to prepare because they said they will just be testing our knowledge in the open evening.
Original post by goldenusername
I think i kind of messed up the application form. I didn't fill out the bit about disability statement and i accidentally submitted it. Anyway, my interview will be on English Literature and i'll be doing maths and history for the entrance exams. I don't know how to prepare because they said they will just be testing our knowledge in the open evening.

I can only speak for maths since that's the entrance examination I did. To prepare, ensure that your algebra is on-point. Make sure you can do simultaneous equations fast and efficiently. Your ability to rearrange equations should be fluid and seamless, and so should factorising. Ultimately, the test will ask you to think. It won't test your advanced mathematics knowledge (they won't ask you to perform calculus or solve a theorem), but they will test your ability to produce logical and sound methods to get through a tricky problem.

Also, my personal bit of advice is to always use algebra and numbers wherever possible. You may struggle to read a question and decipher how to answer it, but it will almost always seem clearer to you if you represent the information algebraically. Also, if the algebra doesn't seem to be in the 'correct form', try to manipulate it. Factorise it. Rearrange it. Substitute random numbers. I've found that whilst I manipulate, it becomes clearer to extrapolate the proper information.

Apart from that, read the questions carefully and triple-check. The test's designed to weed out the best thinkers, so don't allow minor mistakes to make yourself look like a weaker candidate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending