The Student Room Group

Abusive Dad

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
We moved 5 years ago and where I live I have no family to stay with and Idk what friends I would stay with because I wouldn't want them to know my situation (not because I don't trust them, i do)

Are there any support systems available in your area? Have a look what youth groups are available or if there is anywhere you can go if things get bad and you need to get out :-)

Otherwise, just try and spend as much time out of the house as possible. You're out a lot of the day anyway for school (I assume anyway)- is there any after school things you could join? Or sports clubs? You could apply for a job too, which will get you away from your dad and will earn you a bit of cash.
Original post by Fiduciam
I agree, it probably came across wrong.. I thought he had said the mothers hits didn't affect him (whilst thinking she was a guy). At 16 y/o being a male - you can probably take a slap of your mother and shrug it off (as opposed to being a girl) and that's what I thought OP implied.

I'm not saying it's okay if OP was a guy, the bit I found funny was him (her) saying his mum hits him too but it doesn't hurt, hence only mentioning the father. Hope that makes sense!

Haha nah don't worry about it ^^ i get what you mean and I wasn't aiming anything at you personally, just stating a fact :biggrin:
Original post by battycatlady
Are there any support systems available in your area? Have a look what youth groups are available or if there is anywhere you can go if things get bad and you need to get out :-)

Otherwise, just try and spend as much time out of the house as possible. You're out a lot of the day anyway for school (I assume anyway)- is there any after school things you could join? Or sports clubs? You could apply for a job too, which will get you away from your dad and will earn you a bit of cash.

I'm not allowed out of the house, If i want to go into town i have to go with my sister - i'm not allowed to go anywhere with my friends and i asked if i could get a job and my dad said no- to help out at home instead.
So my dad is really abusive, mostly verbally to me but he doesn't refrain from hitting me at all. Just earlier today, he told me to go an hoover the car while i was revising and about 3 minutes later I was picking up my things in my sisters room and then going to pick up my revision notes when he started shouting at me asking why I hadn't gone to do it yet. I replied with 'I'm going to put my shoes on in a minute' and he just came up to me and slapped me hard on my face.

My mum never says anything because otherwise she'll get shouted at or even hit.

What should I do that will make it stop? The police and social services are not even an answer that would make everything worse. I need a sure-fire way of making it stop.

I understand when you say you don't want to get the social services/police involved. From my own personal outcomes with them, i think they kind of make things a bit more of a puzzle to fix rather than help suss the situation and calm things down.
Perhaps, talk to your mum about it. Have a one to one with her with him not being there and speak to her about how she feels about it.
Reply 24
Nope, I am a girl.

Explain the sit rep to your mates - stay at theirs
I'm not allowed out of the house, If i want to go into town i have to go with my sister - i'm not allowed to go anywhere with my friends and i asked if i could get a job and my dad said no- to help out at home instead.
This seems really controlling - not just the anger that I get from my Mum. She tends to prefer the more... apathetic approach to parenting. Seeing as it is affecting your day to day life in a big way like this, I think this really builds your case to go to the authorities. What is your Mum's opinion on this?
Original post by supreetkaur
I understand when you say you don't want to get the social services/police involved. From my own personal outcomes with them, i think they kind of make things a bit more of a puzzle to fix rather than help suss the situation and calm things down.Perhaps, talk to your mum about it. Have a one to one with her with him not being there and speak to her about how she feels about it.
Agreed! Also, do you have a friend that you can trust not to tell anyone? Sometimes it can help to clear your head and realise the kind of situation in if you just sit and talk it out with someone. Even if it is over Facebook messenger or something. TSR is a good place to discuss it, but I don't think it's the same as an actual friend who can be there to support you. :wink:
So my dad is really abusive, mostly verbally to me but he doesn't refrain from hitting me at all. Just earlier today, he told me to go an hoover the car while i was revising and about 3 minutes later I was picking up my things in my sisters room and then going to pick up my revision notes when he started shouting at me asking why I hadn't gone to do it yet. I replied with 'I'm going to put my shoes on in a minute' and he just came up to me and slapped me hard on my face.

My mum never says anything because otherwise she'll get shouted at or even hit.

What should I do that will make it stop? The police and social services are not even an answer that would make everything worse. I need a sure-fire way of making it stop.

Update: I have now been banned from going downstairs.
childline please mate think about your mother,you said so yourself that she wont tell anyone and i doubt your sister would either so who else is going to atleast discuss it,if not for you do it for your sis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending