The Student Room Group

Flatmates indirect accusation of stealing food

Here's the deal. Over a period of several weeks various food items have been going missing from the fridge and people's cupboards in the kitchen. Things like gravy granules, hot chocolate, yogurt, etc. I've not been behind it and I don't know who has been doing it. A note was later left saying "bit obvious as this has only been happening since September" and as we are in our second year and the only people who have moved in since then was me and one other student, it's basically an accusation at one of us. It's all VERY uncomfortable. I'm worried everyone is thinking it is me behind it all but if I bring it up and act defensive about it it probably won't do me any favours, so I've just ignored it and decided if there's a problem with me say it to my face.
(edited 4 years ago)
has some of your stuff gone missing? Just ask one of them "who's been eating my ..." they could be "I don't know but someone is eating my ..." and then you wouldn't get the blame if there is a group discussion about it. Or you could lie about your stuff being touched and say it's not me because someone's eating my food
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by digitalangel18
has some of your stuff gone missing? Just ask one of them "who's been eating my ..." they could be "I don't know but someone is eating my ..." and then you wouldn't get the blame if there is a group discussion about it. Or you could lie about your stuff being touched and say it's not me because someone's eating my food

Yeah that seems like an idea, just pretend I've had things go missing as well. It's a very uncomfortable situation as we all have to live together and I don't want stuff pointed at me.
(edited 4 years ago)
Add laxative on one of your food and put it out and see who needs to go to the toilet a lot........
Reply 4
Original post by jellybabies22
Here's the deal. Over a period of several weeks various food items have been going missing from the fridge and people's cupboards in the kitchen. Things like gravy granules, hot chocolate, yogurt, etc. I've not been behind it and I don't know who has been doing it. A note was later left saying "bit obvious as this has only been happening since September" and as we are in our second year and the only people who have moved in since then was me and one other student, it's basically an accusation at one of us. I find it all VERY uncomfortable. I'm worried everyone is thinking it is me behind it all but if I bring it up and act defensive about it it probably won't do me any favours, so I've just ignored it and decided if there's a problem with me say it to my face.

This is the best course of action.

lol i remember when I was back in uni and I used to steal people's yogurt all the time....it was like the Salem witch hunts :lol:
Original post by maine.
this is the best course of action.

Lol i remember when i was back in uni and i used to steal people's yogurt all the time....it was like the salem witch hunts :lol:

Straight savage

wtf why cant i all caps?
Original post by MAINE.

lol i remember when I was back in uni and I used to steal peopleb's yogurt all the time....it was like the Salem witch hunts :lol:

Lol. I admit sometimes things have been left on the side like cake or something like that and I've taken some as it is a stupid place to leave things anyway, but I wouldn't go into someone's cupboard and take their stuff. I hate that they think it might be me.
a) You haven't actually done anything wrong so there is nothing to worry about
b) lying about your own stuff (etc etc of other 'solutions') drags you into a problem you are as yet on the periphery of and also implicates you in actually doing something wrong (lying) when as a) you're innocent.
c) worrying about it creates an unnecessary issue

Thus, I'd just do what you said originally and completely ignore the pettiness! Most mature way to handle it, when viewed objectively its really a silly situation so I wouldn't worry
(edited 8 years ago)
All true! It’s not your fault, soyou don’t have to prove anyone wrong. As long as there’s no evidence heldagainst you (which we all know could not be the case) there’s nothing to feeluneasy about. The real thief will be caught sooner or later and then everything willbe fine again :smile:
Reply 9
Lol. I admit sometimes things have been left on the side like cake or something like that and I've taken some as it is a stupid place to leave things anyway, but I wouldn't go into someone's cupboard and take their stuff. I hate that they think it might be me.

I hate to break it to you, but you've just admitted to stealing other people's food. That's why other people think you are stealing their food - you are stealing their food. Where it's left doesn't mean you can take it as you see fit. It's not yours. You shouldn't be touching it, wherever it's left. Leave it alone. There's no way you can justify it. You know that, surely?

Maybe someone else is using your thieving to cover their own wider stealing, but you only have yourself to blame for that. Guess you're stuck with a reputation for stealing food for the rest of the year. Consequences can be a powerful teaching aid.
Reply 10
Original post by viennesecheese
As long as there’s no evidence heldagainst you (which we all know could not be the case)

Apart from the bit where they admitted to stealing other people's food, you mean?

But just a little bit when they deserve it, so that doesn't count. Apparently.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MAINE.

lol i remember when I was back in uni and I used to steal people's yogurt all the time....it was like the Salem witch hunts :lol:

The dark lord has risen.
All hail, Stealer of Yogurt!
Original post by Klix88
I hate to break it to you, but you've just admitted to stealing other people's food. That's why other people think you are stealing their food - you are stealing their food. Where it's left doesn't mean you can take it as you see fit. It's not yours. You shouldn't be touching it, wherever it's left. Leave it alone. There's no way you can justify it. You know that, surely?

Maybe someone else is using your thieving to cover their own wider stealing, but you only have yourself to blame for that. Guess you're stuck with a reputation for stealing food for the rest of the year. Consequences can be a powerful teaching aid.

Yeah thanks. :u: Something left on the side in an open packet which unless you have no common sense when it comes to student kitchens indicates sharing, and actually delving into someone's cupboards and taking things is quite a different kettle in my book but each to their own. :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
Yeah thanks. :u: Something left on the side in an open packet which unless you have no common sense when it comes to student kitchens indicates sharing, and actually delving into someone's cupboards and taking things is quite a different kettle of fish in my book but each to their own. :smile:

Time to grow up and take responsibility for your actions. Based on your own post above, you took it because "it is a stupid place to leave things". You had no idea whether there was actual or even implied permission to do so.

Leave other people's food alone and there will be no further "misunderstandings".
Original post by Klix88
Time to grow up and take responsibility for your actions. Based on your own post above, you took it because "it is a stupid place to leave things". You had no idea whether there was actual or even implied permission to do so.

Leave other people's food alone and there will be no further "misunderstandings".

Yeah, stupid because it looks like it could be being shared. Btw, I very much doubt anyone is perfect.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well, the atmosphere on this thread got tense real quick :colonhash:

Quick Reply