The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Diego Costa
The problem is that lower league clubs and below very often focus on playing defensively and hoofing the ball up the pitch which creates very limited players, which leaves player out of their depth when they're coming to the higher leagues where possession is much more important.

Vardy, Deeney and Lambert are just good finishers, they're not technical. I'd have a hard time even saying Deeney is decent.

That's a short sighted view. I agree, on the whole, but you also get the likes of Lallana and Smalling at lower league clubs. Ings and Austin are technical players, too.

You've also got the likes of players like Che Adams, Sean Geddes, and even Callum Wilson, who was at Coventry not long ago.
The Sean Geddes that's still at non - league Worcester? Lol at being mentioned on the same breath as Lallana
Original post by shawn_o1
The Sean Geddes that's still at non - league Worcester? Lol at being mentioned on the same breath as Lallana

Clearly wasn't in the same breath as Lallana, hence why he was in a different paragraph altogether.

He's a skilful player, was my argument. You'd find it hard to find too many instances of him hoofing the ball long.
^ Forever In Our Shadow
FA has asked Wenger to clarify his doping comments.
Inb4 Mourinho's given another ban
Original post by Mackay
That's a short sighted view. I agree, on the whole, but you also get the likes of Lallana and Smalling at lower league clubs. Ings and Austin are technical players, too.

You've also got the likes of players like Che Adams, Sean Geddes, and even Callum Wilson, who was at Coventry not long ago.

I wouldn't really say either Ings or Austin were particularly skilful. I'd say Austin is similar to Vardy and Lambert and most successful lower league strikers in that he can finish and is useful, but doesn't really offer much of a creative threat. You do have a point with Lallana, but he came from a particularly good academy and played a creative role.

There are creative players, but largely they are the exception not the rule.
Original post by Mackay

The problem is that you generally get one or the other. Players at lower league clubs can be very technical, or very athletic, and rarely both (which you generally need to be to get to PL levels). It's the reason why good players like Vardy, Smalling, and now players like Mings stand out so much and basically get fasttracked up - they are exceptional, not suggestive of a general skill level at lower league clubs.
Original post by Diego Costa

There are creative players, but largely they are the exception not the rule.

Of course they are the exception, I didn't say they weren't. Just merely taking issue with the idea of every lower league side hoofing it long. That's a short-sighted view, that's all I said.
As much as I dislike him, Ashley Cole's goal vs Villa in 04/05 was easily one of the best goals of that decade.
Reply 110
Original post by Mackay
FA has asked Wenger to clarify his doping comments.

They obvs want to make sure / make him say that he wasn't implicating PL clubs in doping. Everyone has to toe the line. Personally I immediately assumed he was talking about Olympique Marseille. Bad blood there.
Original post by llys
They obvs want to make sure / make him say that he wasn't implicating PL clubs in doping. Everyone has to toe the line. Personally I immediately assumed he was talking about Olympique Marseille. Bad blood there.

Presumed he meant Zagreb after that result in September, personally.
banter that shots fired video Arsene has sent Chez of Cech teaching how to be a goalkeeper :rofl:
Reply 113
Original post by Mackay
Presumed he meant Zagreb after that result in September, personally.

Yes that too, but he's probably less bitter about that. IIRC OM cheated him (or he may think they cheated him) out of a Ligue title.
In...

Deal with it @shawn_o1

Original post by Arkasia
The problem is that you generally get one or the other. Players at lower league clubs can be very technical, or very athletic, and rarely both (which you generally need to be to get to PL levels). It's the reason why good players like Vardy, Smalling, and now players like Mings stand out so much and basically get fasttracked up - they are exceptional, not suggestive of a general skill level at lower league clubs.

Vardy didn't even play league football until he was 25. Not sure how you'd class that as being 'fasttracked up'
Original post by sr90
Vardy didn't even play league football until he was 25. Not sure how you'd class that as being 'fasttracked up'

Spent a single season at Fleetwood (in the Conference National), then straight up to the Championship.
Original post by Arkasia
Spent a single season at Fleetwood (in the Conference National), then straight up to the Championship.

I know, but age 25. If he was exceptional and stood out so much he'd have been picked up years before that.
Original post by sr90
I know, but age 25. If he was exceptional and stood out so much he'd have been picked up years before that.

I'm not sure about that. Unless you come up through an academy, it's hard to be spotted via non-league teams. He spent three years at Stocksbridge before being picked up by Halifax, for the exact reasons mentioned in this thread: stereotypically, people playing in non-league teams are not, and can not, be as good as people deemed skilful at an early age. Vardy is not only exceptionally talented, but he is exceptionally lucky, he was spotted and picked up when nearly no-one is, but I doubt there are too many people like him who are in his situation. I completely agree that there are hidden talents in non-league and lower league sides, but anyone who claims it is common just refuse to accept how special players like Vardy are.
Ozil is a majestic player, like a Rolls Royce.

Latest