The Student Room Group

Think my teacher is racist?

Scroll to see replies

I would say your best bet is to meet with the head of science and voice your concerns along with evidence. To me, i would think it is probably a case of harsh marking vs racism as i would like to think teachers are above something as trivial as treating one pupil different due to race. I am sure your head of science would not be racist too, so they will be able to confront the teacher and get them to stop. Maybe they will fire your teacher
Original post by MAINE.
^See my response above.

I am only suggesting he confront the teacher directly if he already has hard evidence.

if that was tldr, I feel bad for you and your mum
Original post by King Mal
like what
and I agree to get evidence and to approach a higher.

He would talk to her very "coldly," not in a rude way but his tone of voice when talking to me say was different

Or obviously heap praise on other people right next to her in the class when she had done better work, again not something you can report. That is why OP should not call him out directly

Absolute son of a bitch :mad:
Reply 43
if that was tldr, I feel bad for you and your mum

I meant "tl;dr" as in I was summarizing my own post.
Reply 44
like what
and I agree to get evidence and to approach a higher.

Yeah, if he has evidence then he should go and see teacher's supervisor. If he doesnt have evidence then he better get some, or dont think there's much he can do without the end result being his teacher making his life more difficult
Original post by MAINE.
Ok, this is an interesting discussion. How would the teacher clear his name at the kid's expense exactly?

Btw, I'm saying the kid should confront the teacher directly because OP seems to be saying he already has clear, hard evidence that the teacher has deprived him of marks.

If so, then OP has nothing to worry about - assuming the judge (principal / teacher's supervisor) is fair.

You must've grown up in a dollhouse or some sort of box by a river if you can't answer the first question.
He can brush it off, as others have said, or ignore or get the heads to dismiss the situation. Approaching the teacher with "you're racist and marking me unfairly! :argh:" can be seen as threatening and the teacher will prepare to get around it just in case. Preemptive measures, it's called.

Example: I was in 6th form and had an Eng teacher make us read a book where it was laced with the N word. I know many of those types of novels are essential for education because of their significance to society however the area I was in where people loosely used that rhetoric was threatening to me and so the book became this omen. I approached the teacher after class and asked him about the book but it was years ago, I cannot remmember my exact question. He looks up at me like half :curious: and half :redface: and answers me kinda irritated, and I say, "...okay...:indiff:." And calmly walk out. Well the next day we're in class and he asks the class if the book is racist, like I'm dumb and can't put it together considering timing. The class chorused "no!" to each question, almost answers like they had rehearsed this (which i don't doubt, since they're very close, it was a small town and families worked at and attended the school so there was no way out really for me). So if that is OP's situation I sympathise and will tell him to do it better than I did, which is to approach a higher staff member with facts. Not to approach verbally like it's the street corner or a back alley. Do you understand that? :hmmm:
Reply 46
Original post by Fat Rudeboi
He would talk to her very "coldly," not in a rude way but his tone of voice when talking to me say was different

Or obviously heap praise on other people right next to her in the class when she had done better work, again not something you can report. That is why OP should not call him out directly

That's nothing really. As long her grades are fair, and she's not being treated unfairly in lessons, who gives an f what the teacher thinks.
Original post by MAINE.
Yeah, if he has evidence then he should go and see teacher's supervisor. If he doesnt have evidence then he better get some, or dont think there's much he can do without the end result being his teacher making his life more difficult

I didn't ask you.

Original post by Fat Rudeboi

I deal with the exact same thing!!! I can't even fully get into it but I have a professor now who antagonises me in the same way and I just ignore him. Because he's trying to piss me off and if I lose it that's my ass, not his. He is a gonna have his job but he'll affect my grades because I'd have escalated the personal issues.
Original post by MAINE.
That's nothing really. As long her grades are fair, and she's not being treated unfairly in lessons, who gives an f what the teacher thinks.

that is so disgustingly insensitive. it is mental warfare and if it's for personal reasons like skin colour or sex or just the teacher's unprofessionalism, it's not something to trivialize.
Reply 49
Original post by NarutoUchiha2k14
Yeah, I had a teacher who publicly stated that "it's not that african americans are less intelligent, it's just that they do less well in school", then again she was an old biddy so.

What about
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Transracial_Adoption_Study
Reply 50
that is so disgustingly insensitive. it is mental warfare and if it's for personal reasons like skin colour or sex or just the teacher's unprofessionalism, it's not something to trivialize.

SJW Alert!!!!! I'm sorry "Police Constable Conscientious", I swear I wasn't going under the liberal limit.

Original post by MAINE.
bull****

looks like you have to now resort to img and satire because you've intellectually failed at the start. Please piss off.
I may be an "sjw" with racism and I am proud to be, but you're just a keyboard nazi :hmmm:

*updates my ignore list*
Reply 52
You must've grown up in a dollhouse or some sort of box by a river if you can't answer the first question.
He can brush it off, as others have said, or ignore or get the heads to dismiss the situation. Approaching the teacher with "you're racist and marking me unfairly! :argh:" can be seen as threatening and the teacher will prepare to get around it just in case. Preemptive measures, it's called.

Example: I was in 6th form and had an Eng teacher make us read a book where it was laced with the N word. I know many of those types of novels are essential for education because of their significance to society however the area I was in where people loosely used that rhetoric was threatening to me and so the book became this omen. I approached the teacher after class and asked him about the book but it was years ago, I cannot remmember my exact question. He looks up at me like half :curious: and half :redface: and answers me kinda irritated, and I say, "...okay...:indiff:." And calmly walk out. Well the next day we're in class and he asks the class if the book is racist, like I'm dumb and can't put it together considering timing. The class chorused "no!" to each question, almost answers like they had rehearsed this (which i don't doubt, since they're very close, it was a small town and families worked at and attended the school so there was no way out really for me). So if that is OP's situation I sympathise and will tell him to do it better than I did, which is to approach a higher staff member with facts. Not to approach verbally like it's the street corner or a back alley. Do you understand that? :hmmm:

Your example is bad and misleading. The only similarity to the OP's situation is that it concerns race. You weren't being untreated unfairly in any way. I'm afraid smoke and mirrors wont work here, my friend.

If teacher just ignores it - how is that at the kid's expense? Also, as I said, if teacher keeps on treating him unfairly and kid has evidence, then he will get sacked. And I said he should only confront teacher if he has evidence.

Also, how exactly would he get to the heads to dismiss it? If kid goes to the head and says teacher is being racist to me, assuming the head is fair, they will investigate not brush it off - and if the kid has evidence, then there's nothing to investigate.

Moral of the story: You haven't answered my question at all.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah, I had a teacher who publicly stated that "it's not that african americans are less intelligent, it's just that they do less well in school", then again she was an old biddy so.

Funny, considering the exact opposite is actually true (the worst performing group in school are white British pupils).
Reply 54

Black kids are often worst performers in school, but that's because black people tend to be the poorest, not because they are less intrinsically intelligent.
Reply 55
Original post by Saoirse:3
Funny, considering the exact opposite is actually true (the worst performing group in school are white British pupils).

lols you're just regurgitating from that "poor white boys are doing bad in school" thread that was on here earlier in the week.

Most black people in UK live in London, and in London black kids are often worst performers in school because they come from poorest families.
(edited 8 years ago)
He probably is. Funnily enough, I'm going through the same thing. Not me me, but I'm I'm pretty sure my maths teacher is racist, and he treats the ethnic minorities much crueller than the rest of us (I'm white.) Pretty stupid if you ask me. There are only 2 non-whites in my Math class. The Filipino one is quite quiet so she doesn't get much crap, but when we first had him (the teacher changed quite often... since we're in top set every new Math teacher that came he'd teach top set for some reason) she spoke like 2 sentences and he made her move. But it's this Muslim guy now, and he's really nice - and just as talkative as everyone else but he constantly gets ****! Everyone was talking once, but he just decided to shout at him and send him out! And every time he tries to answer a question; if it's wrong he'll shout something like "no! completely wrong!" rather than if someone else did he'd reply "not exactly." I think if you have serious proof about him, then report it.
Reply 57
Thanks guys for the help. I didn't even realise but a few days ago I went into a year 7 science class taught by another chem teacher, asking to use the printer, he said no it doesn't work, and then one of the yr 7s shouted 'but sir someone just came in and printed something' he was like 'errrrrrrrr..... that was something else..' so I went to the next room, and printed it from there, walked into his room and collected it. Maybe racism is inherent in male chemistry teachers at my school yo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Btw I'm not the only minority in my class. I find the teacher not to be actively racist like how some people describe theirs to be, but he is almost too happy to see a non white get something wrong. Sometimes we can say or write a correct answer and he'll be like 'nope' and then double check and be like 'sorry, you were right!'. I wouldn't say he is a horrible guy, ,maybe he is a closet racist or something. Take my predicted grades; me and a white boy both got As at AS, predicted me A, predicted the white boy A* for a2. Fair enough his UMS was a little bit higher than mine, only by like 2 or 3, but teacher didn't know that, he just asked 'what did you get at AS?' being in his class he should know really but anyways....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vuvuzela
I have the AS paper still, and the mark scheme. I want to do well in A2 mocks, so that any mismarks are cannot be accidental. I know the deputy head well, a fellow ethnic minority, so I could talk to him no problem if needs be

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your teachers dont mark AS tests??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending