The Student Room Group

URGENT Help!! Coordinate Geometry - rhombus

Hey guys so I just came across a question that I'm not to sure how to solve. So it gives 4 coordinates A(x,y) B(x,y) C(x,y) D(x,y) - [the x and y are given as values in the actual question] and says to work out the gradients and midpoints and therefore show that the quadrilateral is a rhombus?
But which two points would I use to work out the gradients and midpoints? Would it be the opposite points when I draw it out ? Also after I find the coordinates and midpoint what do I do ?

Please could someone kindly look at my attachment and give me steps on how to complete this, I don't mind if you put in some numerical values.
I would really appreciate any help and thanks in advance to anyone who does.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Aty100
Hey guys so I just came across a question that I'm not to sure how to solve. So it gives 4 coordinates A(x,y) B(x,y) C(x,y) D(x,y) - [the x and y are given as values in the actual question] and says to work out the gradients and midpoints and therefore show that the quadrilateral is a rhombus?
But which two points would I use to work out the gradients and midpoints? Would it be the opposite points when I draw it out ? Also after I find the coordinates and midpoint what do I do ?

Please could someone kindly look at my attachment and give me steps on how to complete this, I don't mind if you put in some numerical values.
I would really appreciate any help and thanks in advance to anyone who does.

Sketch the shape to get an idea of what you are doing.

What is the definition of a rhombus.

How can you use what you have to show the quadrilateral is a rhombus.?
Reply 2
Original post by poorform

So a rhombus is a quadrilateral whose sides are all equal. So how do I prove it is a rhombus and not a square ?
Original post by Aty100
So a rhombus is a quadrilateral whose sides are all equal. So how do I prove it is a rhombus and not a square ?

You can check if the gradients of two adjacent sides are perpendicular or not.
Or, you can find the length of the diagonal.

Edit: From the question it doesn't look like that is what they want, but you'll have to post the wording of the question for me to figure it out.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by EricPiphany

Edit: From the question it doesn't look like that is what they want, but you'll have to post the wording of the question for me to figure it out.

Thanks,
So I got that the two diagonals have the same midpoint so cross at the midpoint and one has a gradient of 3 and the other has -1/3 - multipling gives -1 and so the lines are perpendicular so it is a rhombus.
Is that correct ?
Reply 5
Original post by EricPiphany

Oh sorry I forgot to add that bit. It gives 4 points and says to find the midpoints and gradients of the diagonals hence showing that it is a rhombus.
Original post by Aty100
Oh sorry I forgot to add that bit. It gives 4 points and says to find the midpoints and gradients of the diagonals hence showing that it is a rhombus.

Hi, in C1 coordinate geometry questions relating to shapes often come up and a lot of marks are usually given for finding the area. The most common shape is the triangle. Here is a formula you can use that will solve an area of any triangle given that you have the coordinates of the three vertices.

Ax(ByCy)+Bx(AyCy)+Cx(ByAy)/2 Ax(By - Cy) + Bx(Ay - Cy) + Cx(By - Ay) / 2

Ax being the x coordinate of whatever the letter is. I like to use this formula because I hate having to draw shapes :colone:
Reply 7
Original post by MathsAndCompSci
Hi, in C1 coordinate geometry questions relating to shapes often come up and a lot of marks are usually given for finding the area. The most common shape is the triangle. Here is a formula you can use that will solve an area of any triangle given that you have the coordinates of the three vertices.

Ax(ByCy)+Bx(AyCy)+Cx(ByAy)/2 Ax(By - Cy) + Bx(Ay - Cy) + Cx(By - Ay) / 2

Ax being the x coordinate of whatever the letter is. I like to use this formula because I hate having to draw shapes :colone:

This gave me 50/2 which is 25 but by doing base x height /2 I got 50?

My coordinate are A(4,7) B(-2,5) C(3,-10)
Original post by Aty100

In that case I think you just have to show that the midpoints of the diagonals coincide and that their gradients are perpendicular. I think that is sufficient to prove that the shape is a rhombus.

Edit: It seems to be true, have a look here http://www.mathopenref.com/rhombusdiagonals.html.
You can show that two lines are perpendicular by showing that the product of their gradients is equal to -1.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by poorform

Diagonals of a rhombus cross at right angles. Perhaps finding the gradients of those would show whether or not they were perpendicular.

Quick Reply