The Student Room Group

Media studies trailer help? please?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Pandorax
Being that awkward person, but the title is Strange Case of Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde
Sorry! It's one of my favourite books so I had to bring that up..T-T
Besides that, yeah you should focus on the theme of a split personality rather than what it previously was, it would be more suitable in that manner,
or you can do a different plot which links into the idea of a public facade and true desire, the true desire being similar to Mr.Hyde's persona. If it is just for a trailer, do you really need that much plot integrated into it?
If not, why not expose the public facade of the teacher, have the audience believing this is who she is, but have hints which slowly build as the trailer progresses, at the end of the trailer, you witness visible signs of her true persona, but the build up comes as a shock, and you are then able to link the hints to who she really is.
If you need any help or advice, I am willing to help and am currently an A level media student.

Aww, Thank you for answering my questions and not being ignorant like the other two :smile:
Sounds like a good idea, but it's how I'm actually going to make it which seems hard!
But thanks very helpful!
Reply 41
Original post by Odd socks
whatever you say 'hun' :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol but didn't you not call me ignorant? I must have been reading things or did you just forget babe?
Original post by loveleest
lol but didn't you not call me ignorant? I must have been reading things or did you just forget babe?

you were being ignorant, I'm not going to lie to you and say you werent. and if you want me to stop posting on your thread why do you keep replying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by Odd socks
you were being ignorant, I'm not going to lie to you and say you werent. and if you want me to stop posting on your thread why do you keep replying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I AGREED WITH YOU!?!?! I SAID MY MEDIA STUDIES TEACHER SUGGESTED IT AND I CHANGED IT BECAUSE YOU SAID IT WAS REGARDED AS OFFENSIVE ... READ FFS!?!

Tbh, i'm bored, Idm arguing with you :smile:

I
AGREED
WITH
YOU
WHICH
IS
WHY
I
CHANGED
IT

what do you not get about that?
and so you admit you was rude first? problem solved.
(edited 8 years ago)
Aww, Thank you for answering my questions and not being ignorant like the other two :smile:
Sounds like a good idea, but it's how I'm actually going to make it which seems hard!
But thanks very helpful!

No problem, however I don't believe you should refer to other people as ignorant, and I believe both parties to the argument should stop,

Anyhow, I would recommend making a storyboard, and testing out multiple ideas.
You can have the binary opposition between the good and evil scenes, via a normal scene, with a flash/static change to an evil scene for 1 sec, before returning to the normal scene, and have those build up until it transforms completely into the evil scene,
Will you be doing horror for this or continuing in the black humour genre?
Don't see it as offensive though it was a bad idea, sorry.
But thanks very helpful!

Programmes I recommend you use when creating this:
-Photoshop
-Sony Vegas
-After Effects [Advanced]
-Audacity

And if using mac:
-Final Cut Pro

All should have a 30 day free trial.
Reply 47
Original post by keromedic
Don't see it as offensive though it was a bad idea, sorry.

why is it a bad idea?
Reply 48
Original post by Rhythmical
You're welcome, ignore the other people. They must be your typical, 'Media Studies' bashers who are doing STEM subjects and can't fathom why Media is a subject and a degree choice. Are you doing 100% coursework based or is it an actual A Level?

:smile: I will and I agree, and I do an A level so 60% coursework and 40% exam
why is it a bad idea?

Which media exam board are you doing? In most coursework, it is not the actual idea that is important, it is how it is presented and created in your practical work.
Reply 50
No problem, however I don't believe you should refer to other people as ignorant, and I believe both parties to the argument should stop,

Anyhow, I would recommend making a storyboard, and testing out multiple ideas.
You can have the binary opposition between the good and evil scenes, via a normal scene, with a flash/static change to an evil scene for 1 sec, before returning to the normal scene, and have those build up until it transforms completely into the evil scene,
Will you be doing horror for this or continuing in the black humour genre?

Okay, thank you! really helpful and probably just horror as black humor sounds complicated?
I am an A2 media student and I have to say I agree with what Odd socks is trying to say. I doubt my media teacher would approve this and he definitely wouldn't come up with it. As you have said it was your teacher's idea, so it's not your fault but the point of media studies is not only to learn about how media texts are produced but also to analyse the representations of certain issues and groups of people in society. I think a better idea would be to make a film which challenges negative stereotypes of people with mental illness.

Also, being possessed by a spirit is to do with the supernatural, which we have no proof of being real, while mental illness is a real thing so you are getting the two mixed up. Having a mental illness is not like being possessed and this film idea sounds like it will just reinforce really negative and uneducated stereotypes of mental illness, which is the opposite of what media studies is about. Unless you were going to say in your evaluation that you purposefully reinforced stereotypes and discuss this, I would advise you to stick with the mental illness idea but subvert the stereotypes! I expect this is what your teacher was thinking of when they suggested it.

Although it may seem like we are being a bit pedantic and taking it too seriously, we are just giving our opinions like you asked. And yes, your media project is not going to be "published around the world" but that's not the point. The point is that media studies is about taking a critical view of media and understanding how it represents people and influences society, so having the attitude that it's 'just' a media project and not to be taken too seriously doesn't really fit with the point of doing the A level, if you see what I mean?

I think that despite what your teacher says you will get a better grade for challenging stereotypes and demonstrating that you understand that mental illness does not equal 'crazy person who kills people'. Anyway, I understand that the idea wasn't yours so I'm not trying to lecture you or anything, I'm just trying to advise you on how to get the best grade, and I know that coming up with ideas for film projects can be really hard! I hope you figure it out and manage to get a good grade. Good luck :smile:
Reply 52
Which media exam board are you doing? In most coursework, it is not the actual idea that is important, it is how it is presented and created in your practical work.

I am doing ocr
Okay, thank you! really helpful and probably just horror as black humor sounds complicated?

You could have a genre hybridity (and link it into post modernism) with horror and black humour, that way you won't limit yourself and make it harder to produce the practical work.
:smile: I will and I agree, and I do an A level so 60% coursework and 40% exam

Ah right, I'm with OCR Technicals so its 100% coursework based as it was the only choice for that subject. The year above got to do A Level Media. Hope it goes okay! I'm creating a film too, I have to do with pre production now so set design and costume.
Reply 55
Original post by Ellismall
I am an A2 media student and I have to say I agree with what Odd socks is trying to say. I doubt my media teacher would approve this and he definitely wouldn't come up with it. As you have said it was your teacher's idea, so it's not your fault but the point of media studies is not only to learn about how media texts are produced but also to analyse the representations of certain issues and groups of people in society. I think a better idea would be to make a film which challenges negative stereotypes of people with mental illness.

Also, being possessed by a spirit is to do with the supernatural, which we have no proof of being real, while mental illness is a real thing so you are getting the two mixed up. Having a mental illness is not like being possessed and this film idea sounds like it will just reinforce really negative and uneducated stereotypes of mental illness, which is the opposite of what media studies is about. Unless you were going to say in your evaluation that you purposefully reinforced stereotypes and discuss this, I would advise you to stick with the mental illness idea but subvert the stereotypes! I expect this is what your teacher was thinking of when they suggested it.

Although it may seem like we are being a bit pedantic and taking it too seriously, we are just giving our opinions like you asked. And yes, your media project is not going to be "published around the world" but that's not the point. The point is that media studies is about taking a critical view of media and understanding how it represents people and influences society, so having the attitude that it's 'just' a media project and not to be taken too seriously doesn't really fit with the point of doing the A level, if you see what I mean?

I think that despite what your teacher says you will get a better grade for challenging stereotypes and demonstrating that you understand that mental illness does not equal 'crazy person who kills people'. Anyway, I understand that the idea wasn't yours so I'm not trying to lecture you or anything, I'm just trying to advise you on how to get the best grade, and I know that coming up with ideas for film projects can be really hard! I hope you figure it out and manage to get a good grade. Good luck :smile:

I changed it into a personality disorder, but thank you though. Odd socks was just rude tbh, could have gave his point across better despite the fact I agreed with him.
(edited 8 years ago)
why is it a bad idea?

Your OP was full of mistakes and it didn't grab my interest.
It has some merit though.

Those with mental health conditions are often exploited by 'spiritual' people. I think it would work that someone with an appropriate condition finds that their condition grows increasingly worse despite receiving aid from their local priest. However it is at this point I wonder where you'd go with the story.
Reply 57
Original post by keromedic
Your OP was full of mistakes and it didn't grab my interest.
It has some merit though.

Those with mental health conditions are often exploited by 'spiritual' people. I think it would work that someone with an appropriate condition finds that their condition grows increasingly worse despite receiving aid from their local priest. However it is at this point I wonder where you'd go with the story.

Okay, i would have preferred if you said why it was a bad idea at first though.
That sounds like a good idea, but how will it end?
Reply 58
Original post by Rhythmical
Ah right, I'm with OCR Technicals so its 100% coursework based as it was the only choice for that subject. The year above got to do A Level Media. Hope it goes okay! I'm creating a film too, I have to do with pre production now so set design and costume.

Aww cool!! It's going alright. Some guy below suggested me a pretty good idea, what do you think of it?
Aww cool!! It's going alright. Some guy below suggested me a pretty good idea, what do you think of it?

It's interesting and different. It's not a horror film as such, apparently examiners are bored to death with that genre because everyone picks it and does the same thing. I like originality and doing something different. Remember to cover legal and ethical issues, I'm sure you have a lot to talk about that to issue any disclaimers.

Quick Reply

Latest