The Student Room Group

UCLAN entry exam/1st year UCLAN dental students

Hi,

This is for anyone who has taken the UCLAN GEP entrance exam for dentistry or any 2nd year dental students at UCLAN who are familiar with the syllabus during the first year. I was wondering if you could tell me a little bit about the exam, because I already know that it's in MCQ format and also that it covers general anatomy and physiology, but I was wondering if it's tricky or straightforward questions and just how people found it in general.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone?
what have people revised?
Reply 3
I've had so many deadlines at Uni recently, I've only had chance to revise over the past 2 days, so I'm a bit nervous about the exam tomorrow. Hopefully it will be a fair test of actual knowledge rather than extremely detailed questions or questions trying to trip you up. Good luck to everyone.
Reply 4
what was in the exam does anyone know?
Reply 5
I have the exam next week for dentistry graduate entry please helpppp xx
Reply 6
Original post by Brunette_Trout
Hi,

This is for anyone who has taken the UCLAN GEP entrance exam for dentistry or any 2nd year dental students at UCLAN who are familiar with the syllabus during the first year. I was wondering if you could tell me a little bit about the exam, because I already know that it's in MCQ format and also that it covers general anatomy and physiology, but I was wondering if it's tricky or straightforward questions and just how people found it in general.

Can you tell me what came up please? xx
Reply 7
Original post by Yorkielass
I've had so many deadlines at Uni recently, I've only had chance to revise over the past 2 days, so I'm a bit nervous about the exam tomorrow. Hopefully it will be a fair test of actual knowledge rather than extremely detailed questions or questions trying to trip you up. Good luck to everyone.

I have the mcq exam for uclan dentistry tomorrow, can you tell me what came up please? was it hard??
Reply 8
Hi i have the uclan entrance exam on the 20th of this month. Please can you tell me what its like and how much detail i need to cover.
I have it on the 20th too, any help would be appreciated :-)
Hi all,

I have taken the UCLan entrance exam twice (2013 & 2014). I got a reserve place at UCLan last year but in the end I went to Aberdeen - I'm in my first year now.

In regards to the entrance exam, honestly don't worry too much about it! The questions are all MCQ and for most questions it's pretty easy to cut it down to two answer options. All the topics that come up are on the Prior learning verification document that you sent off before your UCAS application. I'd compare the standard of questions to 1st/2nd year Biomed, so as long as you have been paying attention in your first degree, you'll be absolutely fine.
If I recall from my feedback, the pass mark for the exam (to get offered an interview) is 40%; so as long as you reach that threshold you'll be offered an interview, then the exam result is never spoken about again.
The exam isn't there to trick you, it's literally just something the university has to do to prove to the European union that they have checked your knowledge. At Aberdeen for example, they don't even test you before you're offered a place; you do the "prior learning test" on the first week of the course and then it's never mentioned again. It doens't even matter if you completely fail, they just need your result on record for when the men in suits come round to check.

Good luck to you all for next week. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 11
Omg YOU ARE A SAVIOR! sorry i am freaking out there is so much i need to cover.. is there anyways i could have your email address?

i have a few questions this is literally my last chance at applying.

I am not sure how much detail is required exactly.. would you recommend just using uni lectures? ive been using alevel books and youtube.

Hi all,

I have taken the UCLan entrance exam twice (2013 & 2014). I got a reserve place at UCLan last year but in the end I went to Aberdeen - I'm in my first year now.

In regards to the entrance exam, honestly don't worry too much about it! The questions are all MCQ and for most questions it's pretty easy to cut it down to two answer options. All the topics that come up are on the Prior learning verification document that you sent off before your UCAS application. I'd compare the standard of questions to 1st/2nd year Biomed, so as long as you have been paying attention in your first degree, you'll be absolutely fine.
If I recall from my feedback, the pass mark for the exam (to get offered an interview) is 40%; so as long as you reach that threshold you'll be offered an interview, then the exam result is never spoken about again.
The exam isn't there to trick you, it's literally just something the university has to do to prove to the European union that they have checked your knowledge. At Aberdeen for example, they don't even test you before you're offered a place; you do the "prior learning test" on the first week of the course and then it's never mentioned again. It doens't even matter if you completely fail, they just need your result on record for when the men in suits come round to check.

Good luck to you all for next week. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 12
Sorry I don't know if you've read my reply just yet but I was slightly flustered when I wrote that. I think the excitement of finally speaking to someone who knows something about this exam!

In my degree I've pretty much forgotten everything from the previous two years so I'm memorising everything again. I'm at Bradford so I wondered whether lecture notes would suffice? I've actually been using a level text books and YouTube and going through the verification of prior learning. Do you think a level material will be enough for the exam?

Thank you xxx
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sima676
Sorry I don't know if you've read my reply just yet but I was slightly flustered when I wrote that. I think the excitement of finally speaking to someone who knows something about this exam!

In my degree I've pretty much forgotten everything from the previous two years so I'm memorising everything again. I'm at Bradford so I wondered whether lecture notes would suffice? I've actually been using a level text books and YouTube and going through the verification of prior learning. Do you think a level material will be enough for the exam?

Thank you xxx

Hey :smile:
Sorry I've been pretty busy today. Don't worry about being stressed, I remember that feeling far too well!
I went to Bradford too!! Don't know if you've seen that from some old post or it's just coincidence. You Biomed or ClinSci?
I know quite a few people that did the exam and they all used different revision techniques. Personally, all I did to revise was to go through my Anatomy and Physiology book (I use Martini). I just matched up the Prior Learning topics with the relevant chapters and went through the main points in each chapter. That worked for me, you'll remember more from the past two years than you think! If you do Biomed at Bradford, I suspect you'll ace the genetics section (cos that seemed to be all Bradford like to teach) but you might want to go over stuff like bones and joints as I only remember having one or 2 lectures on the skeletal system in first year. Stuff like abduction/adduction and types of joints etc.

Feel free to ask more questions, I'll try reply in a reasonable time.
Reply 14
Lol omg this is exciting! I am doing biomedical science i am in my third year! I have the martini book.. so use that and for the genetics section use biomed lectures? literally nothing else? cos alevels books have loads of extra info.. my name is sima i went to uni pretty late. you might think this is really weird but anyways i can exchange my number with you. Honestly, i am so desperate to get in. My dad has no idea i've applied and i cant even explain to you how much this means to me. I would like advice about the interview too, I promise im not some weird serial killer just a desperate desire to get into dentistry haha. If your'e not comfortable then even exchanging emails would be great.so nice to hear you're from bradford lol! Literally fell of my seat when i read that hahaha.

Hey :smile:
Sorry I've been pretty busy today. Don't worry about being stressed, I remember that feeling far too well!
I went to Bradford too!! Don't know if you've seen that from some old post or it's just coincidence. You Biomed or ClinSci?
I know quite a few people that did the exam and they all used different revision techniques. Personally, all I did to revise was to go through my Anatomy and Physiology book (I use Martini). I just matched up the Prior Learning topics with the relevant chapters and went through the main points in each chapter. That worked for me, you'll remember more from the past two years than you think! If you do Biomed at Bradford, I suspect you'll ace the genetics section (cos that seemed to be all Bradford like to teach) but you might want to go over stuff like bones and joints as I only remember having one or 2 lectures on the skeletal system in first year. Stuff like abduction/adduction and types of joints etc.

Feel free to ask more questions, I'll try reply in a reasonable time.
Reply 15
Oh and ive basically got 7 days exactly

Original post by Sima676
Lol omg this is exciting! I am doing biomedical science i am in my third year! I have the martini book.. so use that and for the genetics section use biomed lectures? literally nothing else? cos alevels books have loads of extra info.. my name is sima i went to uni pretty late. you might think this is really weird but anyways i can exchange my number with you. Honestly, i am so desperate to get in. My dad has no idea i've applied and i cant even explain to you how much this means to me. I would like advice about the interview too, I promise im not some weird serial killer just a desperate desire to get into dentistry haha. If your'e not comfortable then even exchanging emails would be great.so nice to hear you're from bradford lol! Literally fell of my seat when i read that hahaha.
Hey Sima, I'm in exactly the same position as you! I studied Biomed at Bradford ..Really stressed about this exam too! What modules lectures have you looked over?
Reply 17
Ohh cool! Tbh I have had so many deadlines I've not properly prepared but I'm starting now. So I'm going to use the martini book now and genetic lectures. Have you ever say the exam before? If you need any specific lectures let me know I will email them to you.

QUOTE=mAli12345;60578447]Hey Sima, I'm in exactly the same position as you! I studied Biomed at Bradford ..Really stressed about this exam too! What modules lectures have you looked over?
Original post by Sima676
Ohh cool! Tbh I have had so many deadlines I've not properly prepared but I'm starting now. So I'm going to use the martini book now and genetic lectures. Have you ever say the exam before? If you need any specific lectures let me know I will email them to you.

QUOTE=mAli12345;60578447]Hey Sima, I'm in exactly the same position as you! I studied Biomed at Bradford ..Really stressed about this exam too! What modules lectures have you looked over?

You on fb? I'll add you on there? And never sat it before, first time. Thank you hun x
Reply 19
Damn it! Times like this I wish I was on social media but I'm sorry I'm not, Erm do you want my email or number.. Just tell me what lectures you want and I will send them over
Original post by mAli12345

You on fb? I'll add you on there? And never sat it before, first time. Thank you hun x

Quick Reply

Latest