The Student Room Group

College deadline or ucas deadline?

Since starting in summer, my tutor has been talking about the 14th of november as the day to get personal statements in to her. I've not quite finished mine, but I'm almost there. I asked her for some advice on this yesterday, and she was shocked, as apparently the 14th isn't just when the personal statement is due in, but the day the full UCAS application is paid for and sent.

I can't see anything about the 14th on the UCAS website, so do you think this is just a date set by my college to scare people into getting it done early, or am I screwed and unable to apply now because It's late.
Reply 1
She's lying. There is no deadline prior to 15th Jan. Call her out on the lies.
Reply 2
Original post by ubisoft
She's lying. There is no deadline prior to 15th Jan. Call her out on the lies.

see, i knew this! i'll obviously get it done as quick as possible, but there's enough to stress over never mind made up deadlines.
Original post by SW1988
Since starting in summer, my tutor has been talking about the 14th of november as the day to get personal statements in to her. I've not quite finished mine, but I'm almost there. I asked her for some advice on this yesterday, and she was shocked, as apparently the 14th isn't just when the personal statement is due in, but the day the full UCAS application is paid for and sent.

I can't see anything about the 14th on the UCAS website, so do you think this is just a date set by my college to scare people into getting it done early, or am I screwed and unable to apply now because It's late.

Most colleges set internal deadlines to give tutors enough time to write their references (which also has to be done before the January deadline). References can't be added until you've paid and sent your application, and most colleges like to check your application before hand so you can correct any errors before the application is sent to unis.

If everyone submitted just before the January deadline, there's no way they'd be able to do this, so that's why they have the internal deadline. Also, most tutors probably don't want to spend their entire Christmas break writing references :tongue:

.Unlike the UCAS deadline, you internal college deadline may have some flexibility, but if you don't meet it, you'll probably go to the back of the queue for getting your reference added.

I would suggest talking to your tutor and explaining your confusion. Don't go in all guns blazing and accuse her of lying- you want her to be onside and willing to help you out.
Reply 4
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Most colleges set internal deadlines to give tutors enough time to write their references (which also has to be done before the January deadline). References can't be added until you've paid and sent your application, and most colleges like to check your application before hand so you can correct any errors before the application is sent to unis.

If everyone submitted just before the January deadline, there's no way they'd be able to do this, so that's why they have the internal deadline. Also, most tutors probably don't want to spend their entire Christmas break writing references :tongue:

.Unlike the UCAS deadline, you internal college deadline may have some flexibility, but if you don't meet it, you'll probably go to the back of the queue for getting your reference added.

I would suggest talking to your tutor and explaining your confusion. Don't go in all guns blazing and accuse her of lying- you want her to be onside and willing to help you out.

lol thank you.

Quick Reply