The Student Room Group

Is emotional or physical pain worse?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ahmed766
Neither, they feel as good as each other :u:
Seriously though, both can cause death and it may depend on the person. Personally emotional pain is something I couldn't handle, like that being caused by the loss of a loved one.

I always think like that; sometimes I feel I need to just detach myself from people so I don't miss them.
Physical is obviously worse, if someone peeled your skin off and rolled you in salt you wouldn't be thinking 'oh well, at least my girlfriend didn't break up with me recently'.
Original post by Prince_fancybum
Physical is obviously worse, if someone peeled your skin off and rolled you in salt you wouldn't be thinking 'oh well, at least my girlfriend didn't break up with me recently'.

Oh dear, that image :redface:
Original post by Prince_fancybum

You don't seem to have experienced any real emotional pain since you wouldn't be saying that if you lost a family member. I'd rather have my skin peeled off and jump into a bath full of salt than lose any of my family.
Reply 44
You don't seem to have experienced any real emotional pain since you wouldn't be saying that if you lost a family member. I'd rather have my skin peeled off and jump into a bath full of salt than lose any of my family.

I'm sorry to tell you the bad news, but you are going to lose family members all of us will and will have to adapt to their absence. If this was a hypothetical 'would you rather' question, sure, I'd choose temporary physical pain (although, love you grandpa, but I'm not sure about the peeled off skin and salt bath thing).

It would be interesting to see some scientific studies on this actually and how does the brain react to each. At this point though, I could equally argue that you haven't experienced any serious chronic physical pain to say that emotional is a bigger deal.
(edited 8 years ago)
Physical pain without a shadow of a doubt.
Reply 46
Original post by simbasdragon
Paracetemol mighy not help with burns, but morphine probably would.

Oh absolutely. But then, something like haloperidol would kill your emotional pain by turning you into a vegetable :smile:

My dad who I was extremely close to died 2 weeks after my grandma died. All my grandparents have died in my lifetime as well as lots of pets. I've experienced my fair share of emotional pain, but being peeled would definitely hurt more (until you'd died from shock and bloodloss of course)
Realistically speaking you may get punched, hit by a car or even get stabbed by someone. They'll come and go, usually they won't change you. Depending on the severity they can change you, but that will also have emotional affects; if no one offers to help you, or it causes people to see you differently or if it changes your physical capabilities forever then it will also cause emotional pain or trauma.

Emotional pain will change you, for better or for worse depends on your disposition and situation. It is not something anyone can truly help you with, sure a person with expertise in cognitive therapy will be able to help you help yourself, if you so wish for it in the first place. Having someone lend their company and ears to you is also a form of therapy for the pain, but ultimately it's not a cure. It's a grey area because it can go in any direction.

I think the main difference is that you will get external assistance free of charge to take away your physical trauma, but emotional you're left on your own for the most part, and I think that's the worst part. Some people can't deal with it, change themselves, develop mental illnesses or even commit suicide.

Just my personal empirical opinion
Reply 49
Original post by WoodyMKC
Nothing is worse than a cluster headache w/ occular pressure. NOTHING.

Well they're re-occuring, for life.. so it's hard to compare.

This is why emotional pain is usually thought of as worse, because it's much harder to manage, and lasts longer.

But man, if you throw cluster headaches into the mix, lifelong pain that you never get used to..I'm gonna have to say I agree with you there. I've watched videos on youtube of people having attacks and they are reduced to tears it's so horrible.
Original post by pecora
I'm sorry to tell you the bad news, but you are going to lose family members all of us will and will have to adapt to their absence. If this was a hypothetical 'would you rather' question, sure, I'd choose temporary physical pain (although, love you grandpa, but I'm not sure about the peeled off skin and salt bath thing).

It would be interesting to see some scientific studies on this actually and how does the brain react to each. At this point though, I could equally argue that you haven't experienced any serious chronic physical pain to say that emotional is a bigger deal.

Not everyone loses close family members before they die. You never know when you could die.
Well...Imo, emotional pain is worse. I've got a physical disability and one of the main issues that comes with it is chronic severe pain (which can sometimes leave me bed bound) and I've also got a few mental health problems and they're a lot harder to deal with than my physical disability.
Original post by King Mal
I always think like that; sometimes I feel I need to just detach myself from people so I don't miss them.

come on bruh you don't need to detach yourself from me I'll be there ;P
come on bruh you don't need to detach yourself from me I'll be there ;P

lol safe
Original post by JD1lla
Well they're re-occuring, for life.. so it's hard to compare.

This is why emotional pain is usually thought of as worse, because it's much harder to manage, and lasts longer.

But man, if you throw cluster headaches into the mix, lifelong pain that you never get used to..I'm gonna have to say I agree with you there. I've watched videos on youtube of people having attacks and they are reduced to tears it's so horrible.

They suck mate. It's never something you can get used to because they're not always present, they just crop up regularly. I get them once or twice every couple of weeks atm, was getting them twice a week at one point. Suppose if I had to describe it, it's like someone smashing you over one side of the head really hard with a bat, then stabbing you in the eye with a screwdriver and leaving it there. Then every so often they come back and give it a waggle and hit you over the head again. When they're at their worst the pain is so severe that you're actually physically sick. Lovely :lol:
Reply 55
They suck mate. It's never something you can get used to because they're not always present, they just crop up regularly. I get them once or twice every couple of weeks atm, was getting them twice a week at one point. Suppose if I had to describe it, it's like someone smashing you over one side of the head really hard with a bat, then stabbing you in the eye with a screwdriver and leaving it there. Then every so often they come back and give it a waggle and hit you over the head again. When they're at their worst the pain is so severe that you're actually physically sick. Lovely :lol:

does oxygen help??

They're doing research into the use of LSD as a potential cure........
Original post by JD1lla
does oxygen help??

They're doing research into the use of LSD as a potential cure........

Not for me :frown: Tried various types of painkillers but no cigar. There are some dedicated meds that some find helpful but it's just getting a GP that will prescribe them where they're pretty new.
Reply 57
Not for me :frown: Tried various types of painkillers but no cigar. There are some dedicated meds that some find helpful but it's just getting a GP that will prescribe them where they're pretty new.

Do you have support from your employers? Does it happen when you're at work cos usually they come at the same time each day or each time it happens etc? Sorry to hear this btw. Must be awful. :frown:
Reply 58
Original post by william walker
Personally I would say psychological pain in the worst and most long lasting. However it wasn't an option. :smile:

I suppose the OP (and so did I) equate psychological to emotional :smile:
Emotional by a long shot. I'm going through grief for the loss of three of my families lives within a short space of time, probably soon to loose a fourth and it feels like I'm wading through purgatory. I just want to feel happy again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending