The Student Room Group

English GCSE

So I did an English literature GCSE last school year (year 10) and passed it. However we are doing an English language GCSE this school year.

I'm just curious as to which one would count as my English GCSE?
Reply 1
Original post by sharmacka
So I did an English literature GCSE last school year (year 10) and passed it. However we are doing an English language GCSE this school year.

I'm just curious as to which one would count as my English GCSE?

Both. They are separate qualifications :fluffy:
Reply 2
Original post by Neuth
Both. They are separate qualifications :fluffy:

I know their both separate but like when applying for A level or for jobs, would they consider the highest grade one as an English GCSE or one of the two?
I know their both separate but like when applying for A level or for jobs, would they consider the highest grade one as an English GCSE or one of the two?

An English GCSE can be three things, either a GCSE in English Language, a GCSE in English Literature or a GCSE that combines the two. It won't be one or the other. Both will be counted regardless if you got a B in one and A* in the other as they are different.
Reply 4
Employers look at English Language more. However sixth forms look at both but mostly English Lit if you plan on doing that at A level.
Reply 5
Original post by Rhythmical
An English GCSE can be three things, either a GCSE in English Language, a GCSE in English Literature or a GCSE that combines the two. It won't be one or the other. Both will be counted regardless if you got a B in one and A* in the other as they are different.

Okay Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by aamirac
Employers look at English Language more. However sixth forms look at both but mostly English Lit if you plan on doing that at A level.

I don't intend to study English at A level but the person above your comment has cleared it up but thanks!
Okay Thanks

No problem glad I could help.

Quick Reply

Latest