The Student Room Group

Outrage Over Martin Luther King Being Portrayed By A White Man

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Bond being a secret agent who has a license to kill (using guns perhaps) is a central part of being Bond. So using their feelings to solve spy problems clearly wouldn't work that well. Someone could make it but I don;t think ti would be very good. It is however not at all comparable. Stop being so over dramatic.

We live in modern multicultural country. A black person can be just as British as a white dude.

As to whether Bond should ever be another gender? :beard:

I dunno. I wouldn't loose sleep if someone made a female bond. Would be like a female spider man I guess. It is art after all, it could be interesting. You can make your films and someone else can make their transgender spy thrillers.

You're just one of those people who likes to **** all over tradition to suit your political agenda, aren't you? It seems nothing is sacred nowadays. There always has to be some douchebag try to turn something into a laughing stock.
Original post by Evening
You're just one of those people who likes to **** all over tradition to suit your political agenda, aren't you? It seems nothing is sacred nowadays. There always has to be some douchebag try to turn something into a laughing stock.

I like pulp stuff. I like James Bond. I love the Golden Eye film.

I;m just relaxed over people making films a bit different.

I don;t care enough to get as wound up as you do and I don't mind moving away from certain traditions. It doesn't scare me.It may even be interesting or progressive.

Really though the bottom line is money with Hollywood type films. Being seen to be progressive sells. You are fighting a loosing battle. People want to make films with black people playing traditionally white characters, or where characters would normally be white. It is like when people loose their **** over one of the main characters in star wars being black. Quite frankly I if I was in a casting position i would be inclined to just shove a black person in their to wind these people up.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by Evening

Hold the phone, are you suggesting James Bond is sacred?
Original post by Evening
Source: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/nov/10/martin-luther-king-white-actor-university

It's funny that whenever the libtards complain and campaign to have white characters changed to match their agenda, they justify their actions in the name of equality. Yet, here we have a perfect example of what MLK truly intended:

"I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

Okay, maybe for the sake of the play they should have cast a black person, but the people complaining about this have truly shot themselves in the foot this time. These are the same type of people who'd complain if a black guy portrayed Hitler or rejoice that James Bond was made into a black character, purely because of skin colour.

Moreover, there is rarely any complaints about a straight guy playing a homosexual, why does it only garner criticism when it's to do with race?

In my opinion, a heterosexual character playing a homosexual character is different from a white person playing a black person, particularly in this case. Martin Luther King's race is so significant to all of the issues surrounding him. He was assassinated on racial grounds, his prominence and acts were on the grounds of race-related issues. It takes so much away from the role if the person playing him is not even representative of the main issue surrounding that character.

Also, where it differs from a homosexual character. Nothing physical defines you as homosexual. We place those tags on things ourselves. Race on the other hand, is visible. When it comes to a homosexual/LGBTQIA role, the best actor should be picked who can play the role well. In this case, the best actor should be picked via fair discrimmination from a pool of black applicants. When people are cast for things, shows, films, whatever, a lot of people doing the casting have a preconceived image of the character and search for someone who meets those characteristics and it would be absurd to say the main feature, or characteristic, of Martin Luther King was anything other than his race.

However, that is just my opinion.
Some days I just like take a step back and see how pathetic and pedantic human beings really are. An actor in a play had the 'wrong skin colour', and now it's in the news and we're bickering about it. This actually matters to us and causes offence. Isn't it freaking bizarre?
Original post by Dandaman1
Some days I just like take a step back and see how pathetic and pedantic human beings really are. An actor in a play had the 'wrong skin colour', and now it's in the news and we're bickering about it. This actually matters to us and causes offence. Isn't it freaking bizarre?

What do you mean, it is bizarre that it causes offence or...?
Original post by ivybridge
What do you mean, it is bizarre that it causes offence or...?

I mean it's bizarre that race means this much to us as a species. We're obsessed with it.
I mean it's bizarre that race means this much to us as a species. We're obsessed with it.

Well it is a pretty important issue and it's easy for a lot of us to say otherwise because we've never known the prejudice and what it feels like. The same goes for a lot of people from other minorities, for example, the LGBTQIA community.

Also, I'm just wondering why you don't think it is understandibly causing outrage in this particular case?
Well it is a pretty important issue and it's easy for a lot of us to say otherwise because we've never known the prejudice and what it feels like. The same goes for a lot of people from other minorities, for example, the LGBTQIA community.

Also, I'm just wondering why you don't think it is understandibly causing outrage in this particular case?

And prejudice is part of that obsession.

I'm not denying that it has affected people's lives in a significant way. In fact, it affecting people's lives in a significant way is exactly what's crazy about it - that something as biologically trivial as skin colour has so much influence on us.

I understand completely why it's causing outrage - I'm not challenging the logic. But it shouldn't be causing outrage in the first place, if you get my point.

"LGBTQIA" ... it's seven letters now?
And prejudice is part of that obsession.

I'm not denying that it has affected people's lives in a significant way. In fact, it affecting people's lives in a significant way is exactly what's crazy about it - that something as biologically trivial as skin colour has so much influence on us.

I understand completely why it's causing outrage - I'm not challenging the logic. But it shouldn't be causing outrage in the first place, if you get my point.

"LGBTQIA" ... it's seven letters now?

No, I don't understand... definitely willing to try though so could you possibly reexplain that final point because to me - it makes no sense.

Yes - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning, Intersex, Asexual.

Yes - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning, Intersex, Asexual.

What about U, A, T, P, H and O?

Get with the times...:rolleyes:
Original post by Farm_Ecology
What about U, A, T, P, H and O?

Get with the times...:rolleyes:

LGBTQIA+ then. That's the acronym used so...
Original post by BaconandSauce
We've already establish he's fictional

but that is who Fleming had in mind.

That doesn't look much like Daniel Craig.

That discriminates against eunuchs. Disgraceful!
Original post by Good bloke
That discriminates against eunuchs. Disgraceful!

Hardly. A eunuch isn't a sexuality.
Hardly. A eunuch isn't a sexuality.

I think eunuchs are wrestling with issues of sex and sexuality just as much as those labelled with any of those other letters, perhaps more so, and they aren't intersex.
I think eunuchs are wrestling with issues of sex and sexuality just as much as those labelled with any of those other letters, perhaps more so, and they aren't intersex.

Irrelevant? The acronym stands as one for sexual orientation labels. 'Eunuch' is not an orientation.
Irrelevant? The acronym stands as one for sexual orientation labels. 'Eunuch' is not an orientation.

Neither are those represented by Q and I, and A. Your point?
Neither are those represented by Q and I, and A. Your point?

Hence why I prefer LGBT but the official acronym is LGBTQIA although it is not strictly true that those are not sexual orientations. You're asking the wrong person about it. The point is, a eunuch is not comparable to the other represented identities in the acronym.
(edited 8 years ago)
It's no big deal, the idea Is to portray the human values MLK embodied as transcending the issue of the colour of one's skin in the same way Christ could be delivered by a non-whitish actor. It's a free world, whoever produces a play can do what they like with it in western culture and even if it was meant as a mere publicity stunt designed to get people talking about it... it worked. From an artistic point of view, I like the thought-provoking nature of the idea.

So, who feels disturbed about it and why?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending