The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

2016 English Literature with Creative Writing Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pandorax
Ooooo I love the same genres, but specifically gothic and horror! :biggrin:D

Nice! So are all of your applications for creative writing? :smile:
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Woo, I finally meet someone who is applying to the same uni! :biggrin: And nope, I haven't heard back from Warwick either. I'm assuming it takes them awhile to narrow down seeing as they are pretty much no.1 for the course. I'm currently creating my portfolio, but cutting down into the page limit is very troubling! Have you started making your portfolio yet? Also, do you know what the interview will be like? D: I'm hoping it will just be questions via email ;-;

Yay! You are the first person I have found as well which is surprising because it is so popular. Hopefully they take a while more narrowing it down because I haven't finished with the portfolio. What is the page limit do you know? I've seen everything between 8-16 pages quoted and I don't know what the actual official line is...
I think the interview is over email like you say, but they give you a set amount of time to answer. Really hope they offer me a place!!!!!
Original post by markini1375
Yay! You are the first person I have found as well which is surprising because it is so popular. Hopefully they take a while more narrowing it down because I haven't finished with the portfolio. What is the page limit do you know? I've seen everything between 8-16 pages quoted and I don't know what the actual official line is...
I think the interview is over email like you say, but they give you a set amount of time to answer. Really hope they offer me a place!!!!!

I know! I was really shocked, hardly anyone! Yupyup, they will take awhile, for my portfolio I'm including one short story and the rest is poetry, but I'm not sure if I should include a flash fiction piece perhaps? What are you including? And I thought it was 9-12 pages! XDDD Oh that's good, interviews in person are nerve wracking! Yess! Same here!! What are your favourite genres? :biggrin:D
Original post by emmathereader
Nice! So are all of your applications for creative writing? :smile:

All of them are except for Southampton where I applied for English, they integrate creative writing alot and I really like the course so xD
All of them are except for Southampton where I applied for English, they integrate creative writing alot and I really like the course so xD

That's another one of my choices :biggrin:
That's another one of my choices :biggrin:

OOooh yaay! :biggrin: Have you heard back yet? The course at Southampton is so good, you can also make it pretty much 100% coursework too! XD
OOooh yaay! :biggrin: Have you heard back yet? The course at Southampton is so good, you can also make it pretty much 100% coursework too! XD

Not yet, you? I am certainly very keen on trying to have as high a % coursework as possible!
I'm freaking at the moment because I've had an email from UCAS saying something has changed on my track but nothing has...
I know! I was really shocked, hardly anyone! Yupyup, they will take awhile, for my portfolio I'm including one short story and the rest is poetry, but I'm not sure if I should include a flash fiction piece perhaps? What are you including? And I thought it was 9-12 pages! XDDD Oh that's good, interviews in person are nerve wracking! Yess! Same here!! What are your favourite genres? :biggrin:D

So do you prefer writing poetry or fiction? How long is your short story?
Yeah same here I'm going to write some poetry and some short stories - probably about half and half. I think 9-12 is probably right but I wasn't completely sure and couldn't find it on their undergraduate page. Yeah I just had an interview at UCL and I'm still trying to recover :wink:
I find it hard to have a favourite of anything - book, film, genre but at the moment I'm really interested in post-modernism and metafiction, unreliable narrators etc. I love a bit of everything to be honest!
Do you have a favourite book?
(edited 8 years ago)
So do you prefer writing poetry or fiction? How long is your short story?
Yeah same here I'm going to write some poetry and some short stories - probably about half and half. I think 9-12 is probably right but I wasn't completely sure and couldn't find it on their undergraduate page. Yeah I just had an interview at UCL and I'm still trying to recover :wink:
I find it hard to have a favourite of anything - book, film, music genre but at the moment I'm really interested in post-modernism and metafiction, unreliable narrators etc. I love a bit of everything to be honest!
Do you have a favourite book?

Ooooo. That's a tough one! I enjoy both, however poetry enables me to turn quick ideas/messages into form so I guess I like poetry in that sense, I have a poetry blog which I post any poems or draft poems. BUT fiction is so good and I can really go into detail about the characters and plot, aaaah I don't know ;-;
And my short story is 3 pages, I may extend it to 4 and stretch out the ending, I think it transitions to the end too quickly! XD
I have other short stories I may put in, but out of the ones I like, one of them is too long (about 15 pages) whilst the other doesn't show style. ;-; They won't let you use school work either, so I can't use those short stories either. XDD

I'll most likely just end up with one short story and the rest is poetry. I have tons of poems, so its just picking out the best ones from my blog, but it takes forever to pick T-T asdfghjk.
Ohgod! XDD Interviews are scary ;=;!
Ooo, post mod is good! :biggrin:D
Hmmm. A favourite book, well, it's currently changing, but at the moment it is the strange case of Dr.Jekyll & Mr.Hyde, Poe's short stories and the kite runner [so shad yo ;-;]
What are your favourite books atm? :biggrin:
Not yet, you? I am certainly very keen on trying to have as high a % coursework as possible!
I'm freaking at the moment because I've had an email from UCAS saying something has changed on my track but nothing has...

Not yet! Seems they take awhile to reply!
Heheh, coursework iz life! XDD
Oh thats weird! O.- Maybe UCAS is laggy or maybe a uni put updated info or something?
Not yet! Seems they take awhile to reply!
Heheh, coursework iz life! XDD
Oh thats weird! O.- Maybe UCAS is laggy or maybe a uni put updated info or something?

I'm gonna call UCAS in the morning if it isn't sorted out -_-
I'm gonna call UCAS in the morning if it isn't sorted out -_-

Yup you should! If you have an offer, it needs to be shown asap, not glitched!
Ooooo. That's a tough one! I enjoy both, however poetry enables me to turn quick ideas/messages into form so I guess I like poetry in that sense, I have a poetry blog which I post any poems or draft poems. BUT fiction is so good and I can really go into detail about the characters and plot, aaaah I don't know ;-;
And my short story is 3 pages, I may extend it to 4 and stretch out the ending, I think it transitions to the end too quickly! XD
I have other short stories I may put in, but out of the ones I like, one of them is too long (about 15 pages) whilst the other doesn't show style. ;-; They won't let you use school work either, so I can't use those short stories either. XDD

I'll most likely just end up with one short story and the rest is poetry. I have tons of poems, so its just picking out the best ones from my blog, but it takes forever to pick T-T asdfghjk.
Ohgod! XDD Interviews are scary ;=;!
Ooo, post mod is good! :biggrin:D
Hmmm. A favourite book, well, it's currently changing, but at the moment it is the strange case of Dr.Jekyll & Mr.Hyde, Poe's short stories and the kite runner [so shad yo ;-;]
What are your favourite books atm? :biggrin:

I know what you mean about the poetry - I just wish I was better at it. I think I prefer short stories just because I have only just started to experiment with poetry.
A blog! That's so cool :smile: would you be up for sharing it? or not either way its cool I would totally understand :smile:
I think they let you use extracts from short stories so you could just use a few pages from your longer one if you really like it - I think they just want to make sure you can write and have written and then get a small sense of your style? I may be talking rubbish tho haha

I haven't read Dr.Jekyll & Mr.Hyde or the Kiterunner although I've heard of them what do you like about those in particular?I'm reading Lolita at the moment which is mind-blowingly well written and just so delightfully over the top that im really enjoying it but at the same time its probably the most disturbing thing I've ever read which is both good and bad
I've been quite into Ian McEwan recently as well
I know what you mean about the poetry - I just wish I was better at it. I think I prefer short stories just because I have only just started to experiment with poetry.

I'm the same lol. My poetry skills aren't that fantastic, I'm much more a short story/prose kinda person!

Ooooo. That's a tough one! I enjoy both, however poetry enables me to turn quick ideas/messages into form so I guess I like poetry in that sense, I have a poetry blog which I post any poems or draft poems.

Oooh a poetry blog! I have a blog, but I review books, and only occasionally post any of my own stuff - I'd be too embarrassed to put it all out there!
I'm the same lol. My poetry skills aren't that fantastic, I'm much more a short story/prose kinda person!

Oooh a poetry blog! I have a blog, but I review books, and only occasionally post any of my own stuff - I'd be too embarrassed to put it all out there!

Yeah I really like the idea of poetry but I just cringe whenever I look back at something I tried to write :'(

Maybe I should think about getting a blog...
Seriously though thats so cool both of you:smile:
Yeah I really like the idea of poetry but I just cringe whenever I look back at something I tried to write :'(

Maybe I should think about getting a blog...
Seriously though thats so cool both of you:smile:

I think I try too hard when it comes to poetry - I think I can't do it, so I try too much to be better at it and the piece just feels unnatural!
A blog! That's so cool :smile: would you be up for sharing it? or not either way its cool I would totally understand :smile:
I think they let you use extracts from short stories so you could just use a few pages from your longer one if you really like it - I think they just want to make sure you can write and have written and then get a small sense of your style? I may be talking rubbish tho haha

I haven't read Dr.Jekyll & Mr.Hyde or the Kiterunner although I've heard of them what do you like about those in particular?I'm reading Lolita at the moment which is mind-blowingly well written and just so delightfully over the top that im really enjoying it but at the same time its probably the most disturbing thing I've ever read which is both good and bad
I've been quite into Ian McEwan recently as well

Awh, don't worry! I'm sure you're good at it! To be honest, out of all of the poems I have created, I only really like about 100 of them, and only 30-50 of those are anywhere near their final drafts/to a finished state.
Yupyup! I understand, I started writing poetry properly this March, I try and write a poem a day, (this month I've been procrastinating however! XDD)
I don't mind sharing it, it's just that I use a pen name, so if I post it publicly on here, someone else could claim it as their own work [not that anyone would , its not very good XDD];-; If you have a private messaging thing or anything I would be happy to give the link to you tho! :biggrin:

Ooooh they let you use extracts!?! 8DDD asdfgh thank you for telling me this! Heheh, I can now bulk up my portfolio!

Yupyup true! But as its competitive, I want my best quality work to be in it,

I would highly recommend them! I love the minds conflict in jekyll and hyde and the integration of societal values of the time. The kite runner is very emotional and beautiful, so many feels T^T

I have heard of Lolita, I need to read it, I'm currently reading Frankenstein XDD
And Ian McEwan? o:
Do you know of the bloody chamber or clockwork orange?
I think I try too hard when it comes to poetry - I think I can't do it, so I try too much to be better at it and the piece just feels unnatural!

Yeah me too. Its so hard to avoid cliché and find subtlety as well but I spose its all about just having fun haha
the more you do it the more it feels natural and you find your voice I guess (but how long will that takkkkkke???)
I have heard of Lolita, I need to read it, I'm currently reading Frankenstein XDD
And Ian McEwan? o:
Do you know of the bloody chamber or clockwork orange?

I adore The Bloody Chamber (and Frankenstein) - same English Lit exam board? :wink:
Yeah me too. Its so hard to avoid cliché and find subtlety as well but I spose its all about just having fun haha
the more you do it the more it feels natural and you find your voice I guess (but how long will that takkkkkke???)

Clearly for me, a very long time! (not for lack of trying!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending